Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 windshield replacement gotchas

Old 04-05-2014, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 windshield replacement gotchas

Caught a rock from a dump truck today. It was a small crack at the beginning and then it went ob and became quite big. I also added to it later when it tapped the area with my hand a bit and the cracks went even further and split into some new ones.
Anyway, I scheduled appointment with Safelite and during that they gave me 3 options for the glass. One was simple, second with rain sensor and the third one with lane departure sensor. I picked the one with rain sensor as I do not have lane departure warning system. Hope that is the right one.
Also, what else should I look for after the job is done or even before that? Anyone has any experience?
Old 04-05-2014, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure they sealed the job right, if you notice any fogging or water coming in, bring it back right away before the electronics get fried. Next time get the chip fixed right away, usually free-50$ and would have saved your windshield.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

All that happened in the span of about 20 minutes. Fixing the crack before it grew bigger was not an option. Actually, I am starting to think that the glass is somewhat defective. The crack just went all kind of ways.
I will probably call the dealership on Monday to see if they can do it.

Last edited by MAMOHT; 04-05-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Dealership usually just has an auto glass company come in and just do the replacement at the dealership.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by MAMOHT
All that happened in the span of about 20 minutes. Fixing the crack before it grew bigger was not an option. Actually, I am starting to think that the glass is somewhat defective. The crack just went all kind of ways.
I will probably call the dealership on Monday to see if they can do it.

The glass is not defective. Once there's a crack it will keep going unless it gets filled. Just had my windshield replaced for $700 with "OEM" glass from an indy. As mentioned above, most dealers will just bring in a glass company to do the replacements. My dealer quoted $900.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Make sure they put your windshield wipers back in the correct position. The glass installers left mine too high, and they were hitting the side of the windshield whenever I used them. The replacement went smoothly otherwise.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:26 PM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure that you are getting an OEM Glass. I don't know what manufacturer makes the glass for Audi but either get that brand or one from Audi.

My experience is mostly with BMW, MINI and Volvo owners when they replace the windshields with aftermarket unit, the rain sensors wont work or malfunction.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Safelite will have an OEM equivalent. Their quote was actually higher than my local body shop using OEM glass.

I think I paid $565 installed for OEM glass with the rain sensor (no lane departure warning). This was in Northern Virginia.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got quoted $575. No hint on what glass it is. Need to call them and ask I guess. The appointmemt is on Friday.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

So, I was told the glass would be OE glass made by Safelite. If I want an OEM then I will be required to pay the difference. Is it really worth it going for the OEM glass?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SQ5 windshield replacement gotchas