Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Trade in 2012 Q5 for new one or keep it?

Old 08-27-2014, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in 2012 Q5 for new one or keep it?

I have about 40k miles on my 2012 Q5. My mind was set to trade it in, but the 2015 seemed nearly identical when I went to check it out, so it seems a little pointless to trade and get basically the same car. My current Q5 is in perfect shape and I'd be happy to keep it a few more years, but I'm a little concerned about problems like oil consumption or carbon deposit problems happening after warranty is over.

I have Audi Care and would get Audi Care Plus if I keep it, but I guess that only covers maintenance and doesn't extend the warranty. Is there an extended warranty available and can anyone advise me of their experiences with keeping the car to (say 80k miles) versus trading in at 40k?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Funny.. I'm in the same mode of thinking. MY12, Q5 premium, 37K, Audicare, great shape, absolute no problems, oil change every 5K.
The trade-in value and maybe another $10K, gets me some features/upgrades I'd like but is it worth giving up a proven solid machine ? Mostly highway miles for me. I also got lucky with a trusted local Audi tech...independent of the dealer.
I could keep the savings, buy AC Plus (maybe) and with his help maintain it well into 80K for a reasonable annual cost.

But...then I see some new colors, or a new 3.0 TDI or whatever.. and my mind goes wandering...
Old 08-27-2014, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stix
Funny.. I'm in the same mode of thinking. MY12, Q5 premium, 37K, Audicare, great shape, absolute no problems, oil change every 5K.
The trade-in value and maybe another $10K, gets me some features/upgrades I'd like but is it worth giving up a proven solid machine ? Mostly highway miles for me. I also got lucky with a trusted local Audi tech...independent of the dealer.
I could keep the savings, buy AC Plus (maybe) and with his help maintain it well into 80K for a reasonable annual cost.

But...then I see some new colors, or a new 3.0 TDI or whatever.. and my mind goes wandering...
It's definitely a tough decision. If the 2015's were significantly different, I'd have traded it already (I went to the dealer specifically for that purpose, but that plan was derailed when I saw how little had changed). My wife loves the Q5, but the side mirrors block her vision, so she'd rather I trade for something else because she feels it is a safety issue. No new mirrors on the 2015 of course.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by peterp
It's definitely a tough decision. If the 2015's were significantly different, I'd have traded it already (I went to the dealer specifically for that purpose, but that plan was derailed when I saw how little had changed). My wife loves the Q5, but the side mirrors block her vision, so she'd rather I trade for something else because she feels it is a safety issue. No new mirrors on the 2015 of course.
I hear her about the mirrors, definitely a safety issue for me.

Bob
Old 08-27-2014, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is wrong with the mirrors? We've test driven the Q5 several times, and haven't really noticed anything strange, but maybe we just did not pay enough attention...
Old 08-27-2014, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

For those higher milage Q5's how has the reliability been? Still free from electronic gremlins & rattles?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

If your car has not experienced the oil consumption then I would not be too concerned about reliability. Yes things will go wrong with the Audi as it ages (but what car does not??).
On trading in - you will probably loose money on the deal and dealer will be all too happy to do the trade. What would you be getting - new led lights are the biggest thing I have noticed. I would only do it if you were trading from a 2.0t to a TDI. To me the TDI is a game changer, great gas mileage and incredible torque.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
What is wrong with the mirrors? We've test driven the Q5 several times, and haven't really noticed anything strange, but maybe we just did not pay enough attention...
It depends a lot on your height and probably seating position as well. The mirrors are fine for me, but my wife is 5' 2" and they create a blind spot. She loves the Q5, but wants to trade for an X3 if we are going to get a new car because of the mirror issue.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hockeymonkey
If your car has not experienced the oil consumption then I would not be too concerned about reliability. Yes things will go wrong with the Audi as it ages (but what car does not??).
On trading in - you will probably loose money on the deal and dealer will be all too happy to do the trade. What would you be getting - new led lights are the biggest thing I have noticed. I would only do it if you were trading from a 2.0t to a TDI. To me the TDI is a game changer, great gas mileage and incredible torque.
Interesting thought regarding the TDI. I've never given diesel much thought, but I've driven rental diesels in Europe and have been impressed with the torque (and mileage).

We rented a Renault Trafic diesel (a van that is roughly the size of a small building) in France and I could not believe how little fuel it used after a week of driving.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peterp
It depends a lot on your height and probably seating position as well. The mirrors are fine for me, but my wife is 5' 2" and they create a blind spot. She loves the Q5, but wants to trade for an X3 if we are going to get a new car because of the mirror issue.
Seems to me raising the seat to its highest position would fix the problem -- perhaps you've already tried that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trade in 2012 Q5 for new one or keep it?