Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Start / Stop on TDI

Old 08-16-2014, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Start / Stop on TDI

I'm new to this technology and so far am pretty impressed with how quick it goes from the stopped position to the start... However, wondering how well it works in hills especially some steep ones in San Francisco? I notice from other forums and posts that this is not new technology as it is quite prevelant outside the US. Has anyone heard of any issues with this technology? Such as transmission or engine issues etc...?

I do a lot of in town driving which consists of a lot of stop signs and stop signals and sometimes get a bit annoyed with the technology since as stop signs we have to stop and go so much etc....

I know I can disable it but just curious on of people use the start / stop function or not and experiences both in town and on steep hills.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had any problems with mine, but I've only owned it for a year. I used the button to shut it off when I need to, and after you get used to it, you'll be able to modulate the brake pedal pretty well to keep it from shutting off if that's what your looking for.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imdakine1
I'm new to this technology and so far am pretty impressed with how quick it goes from the stopped position to the start... However, wondering how well it works in hills especially some steep ones in San Francisco? I notice from other forums and posts that this is not new technology as it is quite prevelant outside the US. Has anyone heard of any issues with this technology? Such as transmission or engine issues etc...?

I do a lot of in town driving which consists of a lot of stop signs and stop signals and sometimes get a bit annoyed with the technology since as stop signs we have to stop and go so much etc....

I know I can disable it but just curious on of people use the start / stop function or not and experiences both in town and on steep hills.
I've used this on an manual shift Audi A3 and on Golf DSG . Using a manual , releasing the clutch while the gear is in neutral will activate the STOP and pressing the clutch in will activate the START. It's pretty instant, but at times you can get caught out at traffic lights. I've had this happen a few times, where you are just about to slow down and stop, but then want to start off again, the car STOPS and then you have to press the clutch in again to START. It's just a matter of getting used to not shifting it into neutral.

On the Golf DSG though, the STOP START is terrible, it will only start when you take the foot off the brake pedal and then touch the accelerator. This is so tedious as you're worried the car may launch off if you press on the accelerator too much.

On the Audi S-tronic gearbox, though the START happens the instant you release the foot off the brake , so it's ready for you before you even touch the accelerator. If you have the hill assist / electronic handbrake, then it helps as well.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure about the Audi yet because mine is still on order but I do know that in the BMW X3/X5 owners manual it states that use of the start stop technology may cause premature wear on certain engine parts. I was wondering if Audi has the same weasel language. I am very suspect of this but when I asked the dealer they stated that the starter and other parts were "beefed up" to take the extra wear that will happen with start stop.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turned it off when leaving the dealership last fall- thank God it doesn't default to on every time you start the car. I can't stand that "feature."
My son had a BMW with that and it defaulted to on every time you turned the car off and on. I find it very irritating- if I have to accelerate quickly from a stop etc I want the engine RUNNING!!
Old 08-17-2014, 05:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've used it since taking delivery, and I don't mind it at all .. Actually what I'd be most interested in would be an actual study of how much gas is saved by this technology.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

@eryeal... I agree it would be interesting to know how much gas is saved. I'm still in my first tank of gas with my TDI and have kept it on. I'm getting used to it and am learning to brake / stop in a way that of I am able to have it not shut off when I have a stop sign with three or four other cars in front and cross traffic etc....

Does anyone know if turning the start/stop can only happen at the beginning or in park mode or if I run into a large hill with a lot of cars if u could turn it off either while stopped in drive mode...?
Old 08-17-2014, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

you can shut it off anytime you feel necessary.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by imdakine1
@eryeal... I agree it would be interesting to know how much gas is saved. I'm still in my first tank of gas with my TDI and have kept it on. I'm getting used to it and am learning to brake / stop in a way that of I am able to have it not shut off when I have a stop sign with three or four other cars in front and cross traffic etc....

Does anyone know if turning the start/stop can only happen at the beginning or in park mode or if I run into a large hill with a lot of cars if u could turn it off either while stopped in drive mode...?
There was a recent article in one of the major newspapers quoting a test from some testing body (CR?) in which they tested several different manufacturer's cars. They used the same driving cycle both with and without the technology activated. If I can remember correctly, the net was a 7% savings in fuel economy across the board. Their opinion was that the technology was worthwhile. I'm sure you can find the article with a google search.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm assuming the TDI and other start / stop vehicles use a different battery that will compensate for the engine starting & stopping so much etc...? Does anyone know how this has been addressed? What is the expected battery life for a car and is it the same amount of time for the Q5 TDI and other start / stop cars???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Start / Stop on TDI