Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Start / Stop on TDI

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imdakine1
I'm new to this technology and so far am pretty impressed with how quick it goes from the stopped position to the start... However, wondering how well it works in hills especially some steep ones in San Francisco? I notice from other forums and posts that this is not new technology as it is quite prevelant outside the US. Has anyone heard of any issues with this technology? Such as transmission or engine issues etc...?
I haven't seen anyone posting about start-stop-related issues, and it's been the default on pretty much all engines in Europe for years, I believe, so presumably we'd've seen something if there was a substantial issue.

As for SF, I could see it being difficult to modulate the pedal properly for some of the stop signs in the hills, but I wouldn't anticipate there being a problem with it activating as the engine comes back really quickly and you can start moving as soon as your foot is able to get to the gas pedal. Personally, I'd probably hit the button to deactivate it while there, though, just to have one less things to worry about since those hills always freaked me out when I've been there.

I'm assuming the TDI and other start / stop vehicles use a different battery that will compensate for the engine starting & stopping so much etc...? Does anyone know how this has been addressed? What is the expected battery life for a car and is it the same amount of time for the Q5 TDI and other start / stop cars???
Start-stop-equipped cars have a heavy-duty battery to handle the additional start cycles and to power all the extra stuff while the engine's off. Lifetime sounds like it should be at least as long as a standard battery, though as it's heavier-duty it'll be more expensive to replace when it comes time.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default +1

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI
I haven't had any problems with mine, but I've only owned it for a year. I used the button to shut it off when I need to, and after you get used to it, you'll be able to modulate the brake pedal pretty well to keep it from shutting off if that's what your looking for.
- Not much more to add, I assume that's the way its supposed to be used for.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skl1
Turned it off when leaving the dealership last fall- thank God it doesn't default to on every time you start the car. I can't stand that "feature."
My son had a BMW with that and it defaulted to on every time you turned the car off and on. I find it very irritating- if I have to accelerate quickly from a stop etc I want the engine RUNNING!!
Audi and VW default to ON after restarting the car. Pretty annoying I know , you have to remember to press the AUTO STOP / START button each time to turn it off. Wish there was a setting in the MMI that allowed you to turn it off.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm assuming the TDI and other start / stop vehicles use a different battery that will compensate for the engine starting & stopping so much etc...? Does anyone know how this has been addressed? What is the expected battery life for a car and is it the same amount of time for the Q5 TDI and other start / stop cars???
I've used it from new on a VW Touran 2.0 TDI manual (used 9k miles) and from new on an Audi A3 2.0 TDI manual (used 4k miles) and have had no issues from new using it. However on the VW , it's such an annoyance as the car tends to kick into the STOP mode at just he most awkward moments. When you're pulling up to to a set of traffic lights and it stops for a second , you end up having to double de-clutch to restart the engine if you're just wanting to pull off as it stops. I've had many times when the car has stalled on me at the worst moment at a traffic light junction.

Also, the on the VW, the daytime (non LED) running lights or even headlights (when they are on at night) , flicker when the engine restarts. It's such an annoyance, the internal radio doesn't get affected but the fact the lights dim really gets me. This doesn't happen at all on my A3.

I'm not that bothered now, as I'll be part-exing the Touran for a new Q5 this September 1st.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I read an article recently that buyers, in the U.S. haven't warmed up to start/stop technology yet. Maybe that will change, but so far not so much.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sbarlas
Audi and VW default to ON after restarting the car. Pretty annoying I know , you have to remember to press the AUTO STOP / START button each time to turn it off. Wish there was a setting in the MMI that allowed you to turn it off.
Here in the US it doesn't force itself back on, so there's certainly something somewhere that is controlling whether it remembers the setting. I'm sure it's something in the car's firmware and not a configuration option, though. Most likely there's some sort of regulatory reason for them not giving you the option.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could it be a VAG-COM mod like so many of the other international settings?
Old 08-26-2014, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
Here in the US it doesn't force itself back on, so there's certainly something somewhere that is controlling whether it remembers the setting. I'm sure it's something in the car's firmware and not a configuration option, though. Most likely there's some sort of regulatory reason for them not giving you the option.
In the UK CO2 emissions are linked to the yearly road tax you pay for the car. As STOP/START allows manufacturers to publish reduced emissions figures it's more than likely the reason why it gets switched on by default. You're most likely correct that it's a firmware setting rather than a configurable setting.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Tried it going from the dealer to my place when I got the car, and turned it off when I got home. It's been off since then... It's annoying, saves 2$ of gas per year while wearing out your starter.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I first came across it a previous boss's VW Passat I was more than 20 years ago back in England. I was literally shocked and asked him to tell me more about it. Then I realized what an obvious thing it is to have.

I asked my sales guy about it too and he said that the starters on the Audi's with this feature are a different model than the usual one and good for about 250k starts.

Can't see getting anywhere near that with my commute. He said that regular starters can handle about 50k so that should help reassure folks worrying about the starter 'wearing out' some. So, was glad to see it my '14 TDI.

Quick Reply: Start / Stop on TDI