Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Steering wheel stereo controls?

Old 03-02-2014, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel stereo controls?

So I have a 2010 Q5 prestige that I have been very happy with for a number of years.

But one of thing things that just kills me is a very small detail- the fact that I can't skip to the next song on my SD card, or cd or anything from the steering wheel.

It just baffles me that I have to take a hand off the wheel, reach down to the center console and find the 'next track' buttons to perform this extremely common task. Or even worse, try to change the dash display to song list, and then use the little scroll wheel to get to the next song. Ugh.

Every other car I know of that has stereo controls in the steering wheel has the next/previous functionality.

So, with that little gripe out there, are there any solutions that address this? Different kinds of steering wheels even? Anything?
Old 03-02-2014, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

My solution for song advancing is voice command - press the steering wheel voice button and say "next track". Or I turn to my wife in the passenger seat and say, "next track (please)".
Old 03-02-2014, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Or I turn to my wife in the passenger seat and say, "next track (please)".

Of course, who has the courage to say
Old 03-02-2014, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2014 A4 with MMI the volume button on the console - I press to right and it skips song - it that the reach down to console you are talking about? I'd rather have it on the steering wheel but this seems OK - at least I don't have to look at anything.

Only had my car a week but it seems as there are several not easy to do things like that and some strange things on the wheel
Old 03-02-2014, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just use the left thumbwheel. Click it to bring up the list on the DIS, tick it down or up or next/prev, or click it again. I don't think I even look at the DIS anymore.

On a related note, when listening to radio, can I get the left thumbwheel to bring up a list of presets instead of stations? I know I can keep scrolling until I get to bands and presets, but it seems to forget and reset itself to the station list on occasion.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xenonista
On a related note, when listening to radio, can I get the left thumbwheel to bring up a list of presets instead of stations? I know I can keep scrolling until I get to bands and presets, but it seems to forget and reset itself to the station list on occasion.
Echo this - would be amazing if radio mode defaulted to Presets. I find that scroll "window" does NO good for AM, FM or Sirius... who really plans to scroll through the long, random list of options?
Old 03-02-2014, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My rather strongly worded feelings on this matter were deleted, so I'll tone it down and say this...

It is maddening to me that Audi put a repeat nav directions button on the steering wheel but no change track button(s). I will never in the life of my ownership use that nav button but I will reach down to the console and skip track about 20 times daily. This is a fundamental problem that is just rediculous.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+! on all these complaints!

It blows my friggin' mind that no one at Audi thought to put these basic controls on the steering wheel that don't require fumbling with a scroll wheel. Radio preset and Track advance buttons and a dedicated phone answer/hang up button seem so basic. -And Especially necessary since there are no preset buttons! And... why no USB outlet in the center console in my $65k SQ5? -I know I can plug it into the glove box, but who does that? It's 2014, there's no excuse for this except laziness or planned obsolescence.

These are small details that would be so frequently used, they are sorely missed and it irritates me practically every drive.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wait, so from what I hear in 2014 the problem persists? Wow, that's sad.

I skip tracks like 100x a day or more. The 2010 Q5 has 2 SD card slots, and with 64GB of SD at $60 that makes 128GB of musical storage. Literally many, many 1000's of songs.

I take it I'm expected to take my eyes off the road to find the console 'next' button for every skip or search? Seems unsafe as well as inconvenient.

As lucky as snagitseven is, my wife would tell me to stuff it if I were to say 'next please' every time I wanted a new song... not to mention the many many hours I spend alone in my car commuting.

What is audi thinking here?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by nicros01
Wait, so from what I hear in 2014 the problem persists? Wow, that's sad.
What is audi thinking here?
Problem ???
I think it's not a problem, simply engineers from Harman Becker Automotive Systems GmbH are made ​​a system that works that way

Last edited by spijun; 03-03-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel stereo controls?