Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Steering wheel stereo controls?

Old 03-03-2014, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
Problem ???
I think it's not a problem, simply engineers from Harman Becker Automotive Systems GmbH are made ​​a system that works that way
What, if the engineers made it that way then it MUST be perfect as is, and I have no right to expect it to work any other way?

I'm an engineer, and I say this is bad design. And I think it IS a problem for me. But I'm happy for you that you don't see it as a problem.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by nicros01
What, if the engineers made it that way then it MUST be perfect as is, and I have no right to expect it to work any other way?

I'm an engineer, and I say this is bad design. And I think it IS a problem for me. But I'm happy for you that you don't see it as a problem.
LOL if you say so as an engineer means that all the engineers in the Audi are bad

I have never wrote that this is perfect. The design may be bad, but it is not a problem
The problem is when the engine consumes lot oil, or problem with the gearbox etc

It is not a problem but the lack of functionality yes
There is no perfect design in the world that will please everyone by function, beauty etc

Last edited by spijun; 03-03-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wait a minute... let's not blame this on the engineers. I'm an engineer myself and I am certain this was a decision by marketing/sales and Audi's design group. Engineering may be consulted for something like this but would not be the deciding vote on something that is not directly a safety or performance issue.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stash64
Wait a minute... let's not blame this on the engineers. I'm an engineer myself and I am certain this was a decision by marketing/sales and Audi's design group. Engineering may be consulted for something like this but would not be the deciding vote on something that is not directly a safety or performance issue.
Exactly what he said. We engineers may come up with amazing designs but if they aren't cost effective, they won't work.

My buddy worked for Chrysler, marketing insisted that the new vehicle have 20" rims. They had to redesign the whole entire suspension. Just because marketing wanted to say the vehicle has 20" rims.

I hate that audi does not have a dedicated button for ending a call or answering a call on the steering wheel. Not the dial and scroll, i'm talking about a button with a dedicated phone on it.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ditto

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
Echo this - would be amazing if radio mode defaulted to Presets. I find that scroll "window" does NO good for AM, FM or Sirius... who really plans to scroll through the long, random list of options?
One of my biggest complaints - seems my old A8 used to default to the presets, but my 2014 Q5 defaults to the station list.