Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Still waiting for redesign announcment on Q5

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

As late as the fall? Of what, 2017? I don't think there are even serious shows now until the fall for first likely unveil. My money is on a full run of 2017's, maybe even a short run of 2018's, and then maybe intro'ed as a 2019 in early '18. Frankly I could maybe even also speculate on a mixed intro of new side by side w/ old since you have an unusual set of circumstances here--high demand current one (Audi's #1 USA seller), untested new plant coming on line, workers in prior plants in very strong trade union markets being redeployed, capital spend cutbacks with TDI fiasco, God knows how many 2016 Q5 TDI's collecting dust all over the country (along with now last gen Q7s due for a huge fire sale, if even salable) etc.

Also agree you could see a late run of Q5's w/ some "going away" spiffs--more option packs rolled in, some final last hurrah tweaks, etc. Maybe more likely to if remaining capital spend and new model and new factory location inventory outlay decisions are to push back some as long as it keeps selling well, which it is. Said another way, VW/Audi actually has serious financial and capital issues and constraints they did not have as recently as 6 months ago. It's a new ball game they are still trying to get on top of as far as lots of spending decisions. Some things are going to get deferred or sacrificed.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-27-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
As late as the fall? Of what, 2017? I don't think there are even serious shows now until the fall for first likely unveil. My money is on a full run of 2017's, maybe even a short run of 2018's, and then maybe intro'ed as a 2019 in early '18. Frankly I could maybe even also speculate on a mixed intro of new side by side w/ old since you have an unusual set of circumstances here--high demand current one (Audi's #1 USA seller), untested new plant coming on line, workers in prior plants in very strong trade union markets being redeployed, capital spend cutbacks with TDI fiasco, God knows how many 2016 Q5 TDI's collecting dust all over the country (along with now last gen Q7s due for a huge fire sale, if even salable) etc.

Also agree you could see a late run of Q5's w/ some "going away" spiffs--more option packs rolled in, some final last hurrah tweaks, etc. Maybe more likely to if capital spend decision is to push back some as long as it keeps selling well, which it is.
Just to clarify when I said announcement - I meant as an unveiling. I think the new Q5 will be announced by this fall, possibly the Paris or Frankfurt Auto Shows.

Definitely some very good points that I've also brought up and sprinkled in other threads. I was originally set on a 're-designed' Q5 coming out as a 2018 model - and that is how I somehow stumbled onto this helpful forum . (I do believe the redesign will be a 2018 whether it be Spring, Summer, or Fall next year is TBD). Anyhow, I stumbled across into the SQ5 and fell in love with the current model. While it won't have all of the latest technology, I ultimately decided that I would go with the current model based on the reliability (ie. great feedback from the forum & proven track record in its current model).

Only time will tell as things get announced & unveiled.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
.....with TDI fiasco, God knows how many 2016 Q5 TDI's collecting dust all over the country (along with now last gen Q7s due for a huge fire sale, if even salable) etc.
So are the dealers still sitting on the '16 TDI Q5 on their lots or have they been moved to distribution ???
Old 04-29-2016, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i agree with MP4
I don't think there are even serious shows now until the fall for first likely unveil. My money is on a full run of 2017's, maybe even a short run of 2018's, and then maybe intro'ed as a 2019 in early '18.
the 17 and early 18 are likely small tweaks to what we see today.

why would they add/change a lot of features when they know a new model is around the corner. IMHO, no new automation/electronics in the current model. That and the virtual dash will be on the new VM platform
Old 05-02-2016, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by marnes
Source?
Since the new A5 officially presented in June, I expect that the new Q5 will be presented at Frankfurt Motor Show September 2016

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post24806681
Old 05-02-2016, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Since the new A5 officially presented in June, I expect that the new Q5 will be presented at Frankfurt Motor Show September 2016

Interesting that they are doing a stand-alone announcement for the A5. I wonder if they are saving an S5 announcement for later. My bet would also be that the new Q5 gets debuted at the Frankfurt per previously. I wouldn't be entirely shocked either at this point if they did do a stand-alone announcement as well prior.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SallyPat
So are the dealers still sitting on the '16 TDI Q5 on their lots or have they been moved to distribution ???
When I was in for local service a few months ago, they said they had them stored offsite. $5MM worth at just one dealer! Including longer and longer in the tooth full prior generation Q7's in pretty big numbers. Assorted A6's and A8's also trapped, and probably Q5 in greatest numbers given it was the top seller. Now A6 has been further rev'ed, so that's another one that has gone to less desirable, TDI questions aside. Examples of many other clean up cost nightmares they have, and a lot with the V6 they haven't even figured out a preliminary framework for settlement.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-02-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spijun

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking the same thing now. Things are definitely delayed from the original time table, but this is a common problem.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone have updated info on the 2018 Mexican Q5, when production in the new factory will start, and if the SQ5 will be available from the beginning? A Google search restricted to more recent articles seems to point toward this fall.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

My understanding is the announcement happens in October at the Paris Auto Show, but there were implications earlier on that both Q5/SQ5 would be available from the start. Also being in Mexico, it would also mean North Americans would be able to get cars the same time as Europeans.

That said, the S4 was first announced September 2015, and the German/UK configurators just went live in the past week or so. So it'll be another six months before they will be available here.

I'd guess we won't be seeing the SQ5 until late 2017 or early 2018.

Quick Reply: Still waiting for redesign announcment on Q5