Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Stolen

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 06:51 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 249170
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 68
Default Stolen

Well, 15 months in to owning the Q5 and she was stolen right in front of my house last night. I have the advanced key and have both of them so I'm not entirely sure how it was taken. It was right in front of my house so I don't think it could have been towed. Any thoughts on what it would take to "hotwire" a Q5? Should I expect major damage if/when I get it back? What are people's thoughts on the likelihood of getting it back? Any recommendations/hint on working with the insurance company?

Never been through this so I'm curious how it will go.

--Erik
erik.wahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:26 AM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 226959
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 890
Default

I've heard many times it's "impossible" and the theft rate data (only a couple dozen in the nation IIRC) leads me to believe it. The only thing I can think of is an inside job at your dealer?

BTW, you don't WANT the car back in case they somehow messed up the electronics or anything else. Hope that it's gone for good and insist getting enough money back from insurance to buy a comparable replacement CPO vehicle.
__________________
Hers: 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T Ibis White/Cinnamon
Mine: 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL

Last edited by Parsec; 03-31-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 256266
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom View Post
Well, 15 months in to owning the Q5 and she was stolen right in front of my house last night. I have the advanced key and have both of them so I'm not entirely sure how it was taken. It was right in front of my house so I don't think it could have been towed. Any thoughts on what it would take to "hotwire" a Q5? Should I expect major damage if/when I get it back? What are people's thoughts on the likelihood of getting it back? Any recommendations/hint on working with the insurance company?

Never been through this so I'm curious how it will go.

--Erik
what about the "emergency key" that they gave you when you bought the car? I think you put it inside of a device that is in your glovebox and it will start your car. Do you still have this as well?
__________________
2014 Q5 TDI--Premium Plus
Scuba Blue/Chestnut
MMI, B&O, Side Assist, Sport Interior
mhughett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 249170
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
what about the "emergency key" that they gave you when you bought the car? I think you put it inside of a device that is in your glovebox and it will start your car. Do you still have this as well?
Ahh, I'd totally forgotten about that. Anyone know how this works? I've never really understood it.
erik.wahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 111749
 
brianja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom View Post
Ahh, I'd totally forgotten about that. Anyone know how this works? I've never really understood it.
The small plastic emergency key can be used to unlock the doors.

Once inside you remove the plastic emergency key holder from the glove box and the emergency key snaps into it.

Then just insert the key / holder combo into the ignition as you would your normal key and you are good to go.
__________________
-- '13.991-C4S.White.Espresso.SportDesign --
-- '14.SQ5.LavaGray.Black/Silver.CF --
-- '07.RS4.DaytonaGray.Black.CF - SOLD --

brianja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 249170
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 68
Default

Yeah after a little googling there is it. I'd been told it was a "valet key". Which it's not. So I'm guessing that's how it was started.
erik.wahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #7
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22753
 
snagitseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SE MA
Posts: 7,948
Default

Not sure if the Q5 is the same but on the A6 with Advanced key, the E-key just needs to be held up against the key symbol on the dashboard and the car will start with a push of the On-Off button - there's no holder like the valet key on my older Audis. In any case, I keep E-key in my wallet in case I lose the fob when I'm out as leaving it in the glove box is the first place a thief will look after gaining access to the car often by breaking the driver window.

Sorry to the OP - there aren't too many things more unsettling (or enraging) than having your car stolen. With any luck, it was taken for a short joyride and will be recovered quickly with no damage or harm done.
__________________

- 2013 A6 3.0T Prestige, Quartz Gray/Black, 19" Sport, Driver Assist, LED headlights,Cold Weather and B&O;
Bridgestone RE970AS tires; XPel Ultimate full front, mirrors and rocker panels, Opti-coat Pro
- 2002 allroad 2.7t - 13y/50K mi and still like new
- 2009 A4 3.2 Prestige w/Nav (sold at 4y/48K mi)
- 2001 A6 2.7t (sold at 8y/98K mi)

Last edited by snagitseven; 03-31-2014 at 09:25 AM.
snagitseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 249170
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom View Post
Yeah after a little googling there is it. I'd been told it was a "valet key". Which it's not. So I'm guessing that's how it was started.
It still doesn't explain how they got INTO the car.
erik.wahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 226959
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom View Post
Yeah after a little googling there is it. I'd been told it was a "valet key". Which it's not. So I'm guessing that's how it was started.
There are 2 plastic parts that make up the emergency key - the adapter which is in the glove box and a small plastic key. The small plastic key should be on you (or in your house) and can be used to unlock the door. Once you insert the key into the adapter, it can be inserted into the ignition to start the car. Did you leave both the key and the adapter in your glove box? If you did, then they could just smash a window and grab the key. Or you might've left the car unlocked by accident.
__________________
Hers: 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T Ibis White/Cinnamon
Mine: 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 249170
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
There are 2 plastic parts that make up the emergency key - the adapter which is in the glove box and a small plastic key. The small plastic key should be on you (or in your house) and can be used to unlock the door. Once you insert the key into the adapter, it can be inserted into the ignition to start the car. Did you leave both the key and the adapter in your glove box? If you did, then they could just smash a window and grab the key. Or you might've left the car unlocked by accident.
I did leave both in the car. My stupidity in not understanding how the thing worked. That said there wasn't any glass on the street. I also ALWAYS lock the car. Just force of habit. If the emergency key was used, I'm fairly certain it was done by more than some kid. It's not at all obvious how the emergency key works, and you'd have to know about it. I wonder if that makes it more or less likely that the car will be recovered?
erik.wahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:06 AM   #11
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 237552
 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 337
Default

What type of neighborhood do you live in? Sadly there are criminal devices that can grab your key's signal when you unlock or lock and they can somehow turn that into a signal to open and start your car. No broken glass, no alarms, just unlock start and drive off. This has been happening with BMWs. Just google bmw m3 stolen without keys.
__________________

SQ5 in Phantom Black
Transfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #12
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 273435
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 99
Default

If you can get a clothes hanger or something through the window, then you can open the door. Just use it to reach down and tap the unlock button. Easier than grabbing and pulling a tab.
__________________
2014 Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI
Xenonista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 AM   #13
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 249170
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
What type of neighborhood do you live in? Sadly there are criminal devices that can grab your key's signal when you unlock or lock and they can somehow turn that into a signal to open and start your car. No broken glass, no alarms, just unlock start and drive off. This has been happening with BMWs. Just google bmw m3 stolen without keys.
It's a reasonably safe neighborhood in Seattle. I wonder where I can find recovery statistics on Audi's?
erik.wahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #14
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 141694
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom View Post
I did leave both in the car. My stupidity in not understanding how the thing worked. That said there wasn't any glass on the street. I also ALWAYS lock the car. Just force of habit. If the emergency key was used, I'm fairly certain it was done by more than some kid. It's not at all obvious how the emergency key works, and you'd have to know about it. I wonder if that makes it more or less likely that the car will be recovered?
Yikes! Me too! I'm getting that plastic key out of the car as soon as my wife gets home with the car. Thanks for the heads up. I hope things turn out well for you. It's a major headache no matter what.
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #15
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 184703
 
spijun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sarajevo /BiH
Posts: 2,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom View Post
Ahh, I'd totally forgotten about that. Anyone know how this works? I've never really understood it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom View Post
I did leave both in the car. My stupidity in not understanding how the thing worked. That said there wasn't any glass on the street. I also ALWAYS lock the car. Just force of habit. If the emergency key was used, I'm fairly certain it was done by more than some kid. It's not at all obvious how the emergency key works, and you'd have to know about it. I wonder if that makes it more or less likely that the car will be recovered?
Did you read owner's manual ?
In Europe, if do not return two keys and plastic emergency key, insurance company will not to pay stolen vehicle
__________________
Q5 2.0 TFSI,S-tronic,
Milano leather, B&O, 19" 5-arm polished

Excuse me for my English
spijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:53 AM   #16
TTG
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 276195
 
TTG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: PNW
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom View Post
It's a reasonably safe neighborhood in Seattle. I wonder where I can find recovery statistics on Audi's?
Ok, I was not expecting for you to say Seattle. Can you please provide more details?

10 years ago, my neighbor's benz was stolen from our building's parking garage. She had a tracking device on the car and once it was activated, it was pretty much floating in the middle of Pacific ocean.

Please keep us posted and GL.
__________________
2014 SQ5 / Glacier White / Black Nappa /9VK/4X4/SQS/6W9/5BM/

Pre-Order 2015 BMW M4
2011 BMW E92 M3 - Euro Delivery - Retired
2007 BMW E92 335i - Euro Delivery - Retired
TTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:08 AM   #17
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 249170
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spijun View Post
Did you read owner's manual ?
In Europe, if do not return two keys and plastic emergency key, insurance company will not to pay stolen vehicle
I hope this is not the case in the U.S. What happens if you lose a key? Your insurance is cancelled?
erik.wahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #18
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 249170
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Ok, I was not expecting for you to say Seattle. Can you please provide more details?

10 years ago, my neighbor's benz was stolen from our building's parking garage. She had a tracking device on the car and once it was activated, it was pretty much floating in the middle of Pacific ocean.

Please keep us posted and GL.
I live in West Seattle. It's a "nice neighborhood". There are plenty of nice cars parked on the street. In my case it was right in front of the house, in a well lit area. We shall see how things proceed.
erik.wahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 277336
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Santiago de Chile
Posts: 153
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spijun View Post
Did you read owner's manual ?
In Europe, if do not return two keys and plastic emergency key, insurance company will not to pay stolen vehicle
And what happens if your key was stolen to steal your car??? No insurance then???
NorthValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:31 AM   #20
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 430
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 4,080
Default It can be done through the OBDII port

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik.wahlstrom View Post
Well, 15 months in to owning the Q5 and she was stolen right in front of my house last night. I have the advanced key and have both of them so I'm not entirely sure how it was taken. It was right in front of my house so I don't think it could have been towed. Any thoughts on what it would take to "hotwire" a Q5? Should I expect major damage if/when I get it back? What are people's thoughts on the likelihood of getting it back? Any recommendations/hint on working with the insurance company?

Never been through this so I'm curious how it will go.

--Erik
First they look up your VIN number, it's right there on the dash corner visible through windshield from the outside (I now keep mine taped over).
Then they have a key made with inside help at a dealership. The key won't start your car until it is programmed into the ECU. The bad guys have a programmer that plugs into your OBDII port, they can disable the anti-theft devices to move the car to where they can program the new key. I think I'm going to drop my OBDII connector, and screw in a screw from the backside so they can't use their cable connector plug, I don't think they will stick around trying to figure why their plug won't go into the socket.

Here's a BMW video of the bad guys stealing it, but it is the same method for an Audi....


I feel your pain, I hope scumbags totaled your car into a tree with them in it....
Bob Petruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
advanced, audi, key, stolen


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join AudiWorld

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:06 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community