Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Stupid question - where do you put your phone while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid question - where do you put your phone while driving?

New owner of a Q5. I do not like to have my phone (iPhone6) in my pocket when I'm sitting. It's just not comfortable. Only had my Q for 1 week now, but I'm struggling to find a good place to put the phone in the car. Cup holder is a good first option, but not an option once you have a passenger & 2 drinks. The little space in front of the armrest is 2nd option, but again not real good if you have drinks in the cupholder(s). It will fit in the ashtray which will never be used, but then it blocks access to the fan speed control button.

Haven't found a place near the gear shifter to put it where it will not slide around. Was thinking of putting some sort of small piece of "grippy" material at the top left area where gearshifter is. Any suggestions?

(Previous vehicle was a Nissan Armada which had an open bin between armrest & gearshift, or I'd put it in a suction cup mount on the dash when using Google Maps or Waze for GPS. Now that I have built-in GPS, don't want to use dash mount.)

Last edited by blcarney88; 09-25-2016 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not in the Q5, but in my car i use a windshield phone car mount from iOttie.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I could use my existing suction cup mount on the windshield, but would like to avoid it, as that creates some annoyances for me - longer charging cable in the cabin (gets in the way, just annoying to me), have to remove suction cup when I want to put the sun shade in the windshield (need that here in NC in the Summer!).
Old 09-24-2016, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It can be dash mounted, too.

They also sell vent mounted ones, but then you will be obstructing one of your vents.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yeah, I think this has been greatly overlooked in the Q and many other models. I guess in the new generation of cars you are supposed to put it inside the armrest where it can be charged.

In the A4 and A5 series, they thought about it and put that slot next to the cup holders. I love it. Best phone/wallet storage place in any car I've ever owned. I just sandwich my phone and wallet in there and it stays put even on a wild canyon run. No sliding around.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I think I'm using a Lido 22" gooseneck seat mount.
22" Universal Tablet Seat Rail Car or Truck Mount
That one says tablets but they make phone mounts as well, the only difference is the size of the spring-loaded "jaws" that hold the phone/tablet.

You loosen the inboard front bolt on the passenger seat rail (special bolt head) and then slide a "U" shaped piece of sheet metal under it. Tighten the bolt back down. Now there's a gooseneck about as thick as your thumb that can be bent into any shape (I put pipe foam over mine and then bent it flush to the console/dash) and the phone is held just to the left of the glove box, where is is easily seen and doesn't block anything.

Doesn't get in the passenger's way either. And the gooseneck stays where you put it, but is easy enough to move if you want to.

Best of all, if there is an accident? That phone is still going to be firmly held where you last left it.

I take a phone power cord out of the center console, down to the seat rail, and back up along the gooseneck so I can charge the phone at the same time. Very simple, totally unobtrusive, looks like commercial installations.
One of these days I'll take a direct power tap out under the dash for this, but for now it works quite well.

I don't like crap on the windshield, or sitting in a cup holder (where it becomes a missile in a hard stop or impact) and I don't need it blocking any of the vents, either blocking my cold air or overheating the battery. So...a gooseneck mount.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The magnetic vent clips are simple, inexpensive, and very effective. And most important, temporary. I carry a spare mount with me when I fly for use in rental cars at my destination.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on whether you need to be charging it. If not, this is what I use to hold my phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAO4AF4

Works pretty well for me.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by will822
Depends on whether you need to be charging it. If not, this is what I use to hold my phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAO4AF4

Works pretty well for me.
We put our phone in a stubby holder in one of the drink holders - works OK.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I leave it in my pocket. No reason to do otherwise with bluetooth.

Quick Reply: Stupid question - where do you put your phone while driving?