Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Suggestion - 2014 Audi Q5 MPG

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yemff
got a 2013 2.0T a month ago, just filled up the 2nd time a couple days ago and got 350 miles to the tank, calculated at 20mpg, computer showed 22mpg. Dissapointing to say the least, seeing as how my 10 mile commute is 9 miles on the freeway. Gets worse mileage than my 97 12v a4.

How many miles on it? Was the PCV valve replaced? Engine oil level is constant?

With my 2.0T, I get about 21mpg in city driving including some slow speed (traffic) highway for a 6 miles commute here in Canada, in cold winter days (not too much snow). But I drive it easily and let the engine warm up a good 4-5 minutes before driving. Summer highway at 65mph was 30mpg. I don't use the Sport mode.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by wangyuqi
I just bought a 2014 Audi Q5 with 4000 mileage. The MPG on highway is only 24.2. Is this still in the normal range per your experience? I would expect it is to close to 28. Thanks,
28 mpg with 100 mile round trip today, which included climbing 2 long mountains.

- 2014 Q5 2.0T

- 65 -75 mph on I80 in "D" mode

- northeastern PA, 30 degrees F today

- winter blend gas

- before trip filled up with gas to auto shutoff, refilled same way at same pump after trip.

I normally only drive with the trans in "S" mode and I get about 18 mpg with 75% city/25% highway.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
28 mpg with 100 mile round trip today, which included climbing 2 long mountains.

- 2014 Q5 2.0T

- 65 -75 mph on I80 in "D" mode

- northeastern PA, 30 degrees F today

- winter blend gas

- before trip filled up with gas to auto shutoff, refilled same way at same pump after trip.

I normally only drive with the trans in "S" mode and I get about 18 mpg with 75% city/25% highway.
Not bad especially with the conditions and winter blende gas.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by oragex
How many miles on it? Was the PCV valve replaced? Engine oil level is constant?

With my 2.0T, I get about 21mpg in city driving including some slow speed (traffic) highway for a 6 miles commute here in Canada, in cold winter days (not too much snow). But I drive it easily and let the engine warm up a good 4-5 minutes before driving. Summer highway at 65mph was 30mpg. I don't use the Sport mode.
26k miles, no clue about the pcv, oil level hasn't changed in the 800 miles I've put on the car. My commute is 10 miles, 9 on the freeway, no traffic, temps have been around 60-70f. Chevron premium, non s mode, no heavy acceleration, pretty much been babying it.

Last edited by yemff; 03-03-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by yemff
26k miles, no clue about the pcv, oil level hasn't changed in the 800 miles I've put on the car. My commute is 10 miles, 9 on the freeway, no traffic, temps have been around 60-70f
For freeway driving 20mpg it is really too low. I believe you are driving in D mode? Maybe talk to Audi, 20mpg is low enough to suspect something like a sensor issue.

As for the pcv, if it was not changed yet, it will be due sooner or later. I think Audi is offering extended warranty for this part.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW. The low-ish numbers for the 2.0T mpg has been my experience on the 2 occasions I've had a Q5 2.0T loaner. It just wasn't much better, if at all, on my daily drive than my 3.0T. I believe therein lies the key... Everyone's driving conditions and style vary so it's really tough to compare absolute numbers here in the forum.

I look at it this way, now that both 2.0 and 3.0T have the 8 speed, the efficiency aspects there are comparable. So, admittedly with some hand waving, if I was to drive both cars for maximum efficiency with no other goal, the 2.0T will be better. It just will, again, driven for best MPG. You aren't running under boost on either engine if driven properly for best MPG, so you are essentially comparing an NA 2.0 4 cyl vs. a 3.0 V6 plus the drag of its supercharger running in bypass. More parasitics and overhead on the V6 will translate to worse efficiency.

Now, if you drive both with the same daily-driver "performance" goal -- same accel rate from lights and such regardless of engine, you are going to be into boost much more on the 2.0T and in lower gears. The result, pretty poor 2.0T mpg because you require the same torque/power to get things moving regardless of engine.

I think that's key to the whole MPG discussion in general - the small, turbo engines have a more efficient range to dip into that the larger engines do not, so they are capable of better mpg. Much of the advantage goes away though if you don't change your driving style to take advantage of that capability.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Now, if you drive both with the same daily-driver "performance" goal -- same accel rate from lights and such regardless of engine, you are going to be into boost much more on the 2.0T and in lower gears. The result, pretty poor 2.0T mpg because you require the same torque/power to get things moving regardless of engine.
Yep, if you're thrashing an engine to get the performance you expect then the efficiency will be terrible (no matter what the engine is). If you easily get your desired performance level out of the 2.0T without having to redline it all the time then it should return the best results. If you need more and have to work the 2.0T hard to get going, but the 3.0T would let you be more laid-back in revs, then the 3.0T may be similar (or better!) on mileage. If you're going to thrash anything no matter what it is because you demand sub-2-sec 0-60 then you're screwed no matter what, why are you even looking at a Q5?

My old 1.8T Passat was fine for the most part until it got older and I had to work it more (but had the 5-speed Tip and so wasn't able to stay in low revs like the 8-speeds we now have can). My Odyssey I had to really work over to get it to move adequately which was stressful for both me and the engine. It got terrible mileage in general, though, never hitting the highway estimate even on long freeway cruising. My TDI has more than enough power so I never have to push it hard... though I can if I want to.

Definitely all about what's most appropriate for you, as we're all different. My wife drives pretty aggressively, too, scooting all over in her Golf TDI, but the way that she applies throttle she's able to get a little better efficiency than I can.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Vapor pressure? Don't get all bent out of shape, winter blend is gasohol and the alcohol content has WAY LESS FUEL DENSITY than gasoline does. All you need to know is that it waters down the gas.

Tire size, inflation pressure, snow on the road, highway speed, use of cruise control or an erratic right lead foot, roof racks on to add drag, all these things matter as much if not more.

This news to you?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been pleasantly surprised with my 2.0T this winter. I have been averaging better than 22 mpg (based on calcs, not trip computer) in my commute, which is about 2/3 hwy and 1/3 city. And I live in the frozen tundra (Wisconsin). However, I always fill up with premium that contains no ethanol.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samps
I'm getting an average of 19mpg (calculated) mixed which isn't bad. In Metro Vancouver it's basically city driving and semi-spirited. The best I got was 25 from Vancouver to Portland which was all highway. I find the 2.0T mpg a bit disappointing. Especially hearing what 3.0T and TDI drivers are getting. Maybe I should have ponied up and gotten the 3.0T or TDI. =(
Yeah, except your payback would probably have been 6-8 years and who keeps a car that long these days?

Quick Reply: Suggestion - 2014 Audi Q5 MPG