Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 08:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

TDI Issue Potentially Affecting Trade-In.. Advice?

Old 11-22-2015, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stix
Screwed how ? Your senator help how ?
You sound really unhappy with your Q. Are you wanting to sell/trade yours before they actually make any determinations on fixes, costs, etc. ?
Audi/VW's behavior has made it very clear their MO is to do whatever is necessary to limit their liability (no buybacks, lying about the 3.0T being impacted until they can't deny any longer and only then admitting, etc)

While it's possible management didn't know the extent of these cheat devices does that really give you faith in wanting to drive one of their cars? I mean doesn't that make you stop and ponder what else they may not know? It doesn't bring confidence at all.

Furthermore it's basically trapping TDI owners into waiting for a fix (who even knows when that will occur since they have been radio silent on a fix timeline to their customers) or taking a massive loss unless they buy another Audi (so great news Audi benefits double) which doesn't sit well with me.

I don't think most people would feel the way we do it Audi had been honest from the start and actually kept us in the loop instead of the cold. And I'm sorry but their offer of 1000.00 (cash/service credit) doesn't really make a dent in the diminished value does it?

I look at it like this: Why should those of us with TDI's benefit negatively because of Audi's negligence? It's not our issue and shouldn't be our problem they lied. We also shouldn't be forced to take a write down or be required to buy another Audi to make out whole

Last edited by rbradleysd; 11-22-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"senator" ?
Federal Senator, not his job or his connections, other than to push the EPA, and that's a big slow job. You'll get a form letter of commiseration, and possibly a list of more appropriate contacts.
State Senator? Migh mumble about passing relief legistation but defer to it being a federal issue, and if you're lucky you'll get the same list of referrals to better contacts.
Your state AG or DA or Consumer Affairs is the usual appropriate party to contact for sales fraud and warranty problems, and they've got more experience at the local level. Your local Assemblyman or District Leader (whatever your state uses) can also sometimes be the one to contact, as they often know local business leaders and can put in a word.
So you work the phones, start LOCALLY where the best contacts usually are, and try to get appointments to see these people. Assemblymen and district/ward leaders often have one day or night every week set aside to speak to constituents.
And a large part will still come back to what your contract says, and what condition you were expected to bring you wreck, ergh, trade-in, into them in.
You'll have to be LOCAL and SPECIFIC and COMPREHENSIVE to get any idea of what the outcome might be, and even then, it could take much longer than you'd like. IF VW does the usual and takes it to the courts, two years wouldn't be unusual.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbradleysd
If they change your trade I'd think that is basically them adjusting their end of the game & you should get your deposit back. It's not the same as you just changing your mind, it's out of your control.
This is Plan A. Then if you don't get the answer you want, threaten small claims court (Plan B), then if that fails follow through on your threat (C).

Very simple.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the replies!

I emailed the sales guy over the weekend and have yet to hear back. To me, it seems impossible that I could be forced to buy the car, especially given that the circumstances are beyond my control.
There was no firm trade value noted on the order (understandable, given that a lot can happen to a car in the time it takes for the new one to arrive). The trade value they had verbally offered me was including the depreciation caused by the accident- I mentioned up front that it had some extensive body work done.
If we had any sort of idea about the timeframe in which Audi will get this fixed, I'd be willing to hold onto the car and sell it privately, but I don't want to be waiting 3-6 months (hopefully, worst case!).
This will certainly be an interesting week. Meanwhile, I'm getting in touch with my lawyer...
Old 11-23-2015, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

The accident depreciation is a tricky one having gone through that myself. Typically the depreciation losses as a result of the accident should be covered by the insurer and typically you need to get an attorney to really negotiate the higher dollar amounts. I was only able to negotiate $2k by myself and that was after many phone calls and in the end not worth my time or headache/stress.
Audi of America: almost guaranteed that they do not buy your car back especially with the accident because in theory they would not count this car as a certified used car if the dealer tries to sell.
Given all of that it depends on how much headache and stress you want in your life. You never know what they will do until you ask.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

In many states, insurers and courts will not recognize nor compensate for loss of value due to accident repairs. That's the case here in MA. Another reason I will once again be leasing my next car.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
In many states, insurers and courts will not recognize nor compensate for loss of value due to accident repairs. That's the case here in MA. Another reason I will once again be leasing my next car.
After the accident I did go after the at-fault party's insurance for diminished value. They were actually comparatively easy to fight, Audi NA were the hard ones to work with.

However, they were aware of the accident and the repairs before they conducted the trade appraisal, so that was taken into account in the original figure. Until the news broke, TDI models were holding their value very well and MB knew they'd be able to make some money off the trade even at an auction. Keeping the car until it blows over could either leave me worse off, or in a position to sell or trade it at close to current value once the actual fix is revealed. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but who knows?
Old 11-23-2015, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Keep the car if it still runs since the MB dealer is being an a-hole about your trade.

Get your deposit back since the MB dealer does not want to deal with your trade.

A "tit for tat"

I would be interested in buying a CPO Q5 TDI in a year hoping the diesel scandal blows over so you know there are others like myself waiting....
Old 11-24-2015, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree, don't give MB the business if they are going to play games.
I will only lease luxury cars from now on. The risk is far too high from accidents, recalls and poor reliability. With a Honda Civic it doesn't really matter. With a $50k car the risks are way to high.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hockeymonkey
I agree, don't give MB the business if they are going to play games.
I will only lease luxury cars from now on. The risk is far too high from accidents, recalls and poor reliability. With a Honda Civic it doesn't really matter. With a $50k car the risks are way to high.
+1000 on leasing!

Yes, leasing is the way to go - drive during warranty coverage, GAP coverage included in case of a total, low cost per month, sales tax on the monthly rent charge only - not the whole amount (CA), end of lease option to buy out or turn back in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TDI Issue Potentially Affecting Trade-In.. Advice?