Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 08:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

TDI Issue Potentially Affecting Trade-In.. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Senator might be able to pass a measure forcing VW to buy back all affected vehicles based on a predetermined value scale using Fall 2014 Values. Their authority would be to block the sale or import of vehicles from that MFG.

However, you might run a search and see which senators may have had campaign contributions by VW America, and which have domestic mfg and parts mfg that would be impacted.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by motoguy128
A Senator might be able to pass a measure forcing VW to buy back all affected vehicles based on a predetermined value scale using Fall 2014 Values. Their authority would be to block the sale or import of vehicles from that MFG.

However, you might run a search and see which senators may have had campaign contributions by VW America, and which have domestic mfg and parts mfg that would be impacted.
Don't hold your breath for across the board buybacks. VAG couldn't likely withstand the financial hit of tens of thousands of cars in the U.S. and hundreds of thousands elsewhere. Not even the U.S. dysfunctional congress would be comfortable with putting VAG out of business - taxes and lost jobs. Besides, there's not even an understanding of what a fix would or wouldn't do to performance as of yet. This is only the first chapter - those affected should not be ready to jump the shark just yet.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

^ This. Across the board buy-backs is crazy talk as it would put them out of business. It's important for VW to survive not only for the gazillion employees, but for the benefit of owners needing future parts.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Not to mention there would be no question as to the value hit of all remaining VAG models.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just returned from the MB dealer. They're actually being pretty helpful. I've decided that I'll hang on to the car for a few more months, wait until the emissions issue is figured out, and sell private sale. Not ideal, but there are worse problems one could be facing.
On a side note, as soon as I got home this evening, I saw on Jalopnik that Audi apparently already has a software fix for the V6 TDIs. Light at the end of the tunnel?
Old 12-27-2015, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbradleysd
And I'm sorry but their offer of 1000.00 (cash/service credit) doesn't really make a dent in the diminished value does it?
Who offered $1000? I have a Q7 and all I got (just this month) was a letter saying blah blah, we're working on it, blah blah...
Old 12-27-2015, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Supposedly *diesel* owners in the US were to be given a $500 Visa gift card, plus a second $500 "dealer services" Visa gift card, so nominally that would have been $1000 more-or-less given to the owners.

There was no simple "Here's a grand" offer that I've heard of. And VW said "no strings attached" to their offer, no releases or obligations, except that of course half of it was only good at dealerships.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Supposedly *diesel* owners in the US were to be given a $500 Visa gift card, plus a second $500 "dealer services" Visa gift card, so nominally that would have been $1000 more-or-less given to the owners.

There was no simple "Here's a grand" offer that I've heard of. And VW said "no strings attached" to their offer, no releases or obligations, except that of course half of it was only good at dealerships.
I thought that was only the four cylinder diesels.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd

Only 2.0L (re:A3) customers got that. We got nothing but a lawfully written letter and zero care. Apparently Audi doesn't care about the 3.0L customers
Old 12-27-2015, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Whatever. From the reports of the way that VW/Audi has been "co-operating" with all parties, including their dealer network, I get the distinct feeling that their fine German engineers have never heard the American engineering maxim "When you are digging in a swamp and up to your *** in alligators, the first thing to do is STOP DIGGING DEEPER."

Reminds me of Richard Nixon, proclaiming to the last that he was completely innocent and just the poor fellow who happened to be surrounded by crooks and thieves. All of who he had naively appointed to their offices of power and trust.

They've missed the window to be heros. Now, they've added solidly to the (wrongful) tale of the original Audi unintended accelerations which nearly killed the brand (2/3 sales loss?) and the bad VW engines with valve seal leaks, AND the newer engines with oil consumption issues...just when they had achieved a sterling reputation and some real market appeal and growth.

At least Kia and Hyundai had the sense to offer 100,000 mile warranties, to assuage customers who KNEW the cars were going to have more than the usual QC issues up front. (And what fine progress they've made since those days.)

I just can't think how they plan their current actions to become a long-term profit, of any kind.

Quick Reply: TDI Issue Potentially Affecting Trade-In.. Advice?