Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

TDI/SQ5/3.0T Steering and suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TDI/SQ5/3.0T Steering and suspension

We are getting a new Q5 and we have driven the SQ5 and TDI. Have not driven a 3.0t.

The SQ5 was pretty harsh and loud on the interior but the model we drove had the 21's on it. I was surprised how loud it was especially noise coming from the rear hatch.

We drove a TDI and both liked it but did not like the steering at highway speeds, felt like it wandered a lot and a bit too cushy. This was on the 19" standard wheels.

However the TDI was dead silent, as I really expected the SQ5 to be.

There were no suspension options from what I saw on the 3.0t/TDI. Our problem is finding a SQ5. We need to get a car in the next 2 weeks and there are just not a lot of them on the ground.

Price/mileage is not a concern, in fact on a lease the TDI/SQ5 were very similar, but the 3.0T was significantly cheaper.

There are no suspension differences with the Sport package are there? From a performance standpoint the SQ would be quicker but the TDI was not bad and from what I read the 3.0t doesn't sit far behind the SQ5.

Anyone experienced the same thing on the freeway or found the suspension too compliant?

Not being able to drive a 3.0t is the killer...it may fit what we want an the lease price was so significant we could do a 24 month for the same price as a 36 in a TDI/SQ5.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2015, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would really try to go and find a 3.0T to drive. My 3.0T with the sport package is dead silent on the freeway. I have driven the TDI as well as the SQ and honestly they are beasts. But the 3.0T is a 9/10ths SQ5. You'll get better mpg on the TDI but on a 36 month lease the delta in cost is against you.

I have the 20" sport wheels on mine and the ride is very compliant. If you get the Drive Select you can set it to comfort and it's nice and comfortable and smooth.

If the cost is that much less, I would seriously try to find a 3.0T to drive. I don't think you will be disappointed. They might even be easier for your dealer to find and trade for.

Just my .02.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just picked up a 3.0t and got to test drive the TDI and the 3.0t. I liked both of them, city and highway. There is no difference in the suspension packages (TDI/3.0T). The only thing for me is I keep the steering in dynamic mode, makes it a nicer road feel while driving.

The performance of the 3.0t I loved and was sold from an all around perspective. I have the sport package with the 19's and I love the drive it is very quiet and comfortable on highway and city for me. Not to soft and floaty feeling, and not overly tight noisy.

Hope this helps ! it sounds like the 3.0t is going to give you what you are looking for in the best of both worlds department.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Big D *suspended*
I would really try to go and find a 3.0T to drive. My 3.0T with the sport package is dead silent on the freeway. I have driven the TDI as well as the SQ and honestly they are beasts. But the 3.0T is a 9/10ths SQ5. You'll get better mpg on the TDI but on a 36 month lease the delta in cost is against you.

I have the 20" sport wheels on mine and the ride is very compliant. If you get the Drive Select you can set it to comfort and it's nice and comfortable and smooth.

If the cost is that much less, I would seriously try to find a 3.0T to drive. I don't think you will be disappointed. They might even be easier for your dealer to find and trade for.

Just my .02.

But I thought Drive Select in the US did not include adjustable suspension?
Old 01-22-2015, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eric_C
It used to, back when it was part of the S-Line package on the 3.0T/TDI. For 2015, the suspension component's not available and the rest was added to the old Sport Interior package. The S never had the adjustable suspension, but has a different suspension than the normal Q5.

TDI and 3.0T should drive the same since it's the same components used, with the only noise difference being any change in engine/exhaust noise. Wheel size will of course adjust some of the feel, and tires can affect the noise (most of the noise I get on my TDI is road noise from the tires -- it's jarring when I go onto smooth asphalt and everything gets extremely quiet).

Never noticed any wandering on my TDI at all, and input seems fine. Steering is very boosted compared to my wife's old Golf, but I'm used to how it responds and have no issues getting the response I want out of it (you just recalibrate your steering inputs). Just a matter of adjusting.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2014 TDI with Audi Drive Select definitely has adjustable dampening and it is awesome! I completely recommend it to anyone. Comfort is super soft, but Dynamic certainly makes for a sportier stiffer ride.

Originally Posted by idale
It used to, back when it was part of the S-Line package on the 3.0T/TDI.

Never noticed any wandering on my TDI at all, and input seems fine.
Exactly .... I never noticed wandering either.

Last edited by - B -; 01-22-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

That's right. For 2015, it's just adjustable steering response and throttle inputs and trans, but no suspension adjustment, AFAIK.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

We drove a TDI and both liked it but did not like the steering at highway speeds, felt like it wandered a lot and a bit too cushy.
The wandering may have been a result of a particular tire that was mounted on it. Installing a high performance summer tire would likely help make things more crisp.

With that said, it's an SUV, not a sports car, so I guess it depends on your expectations.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

That sucks they got rid of the adjustable suspension. It really is night and day how it can change the demeanor of the car.

I also bet the op was driving a car with hyper inflated tires.

It's crazy how dealers think that over inflating the tires makes the car ride better.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Big D *suspended*
It's crazy how dealers think that over inflating the tires makes the car ride better.
I think they get overinflated at the factory on purpose, to minimize flatspotting during transport/storage. During the prep, dealer is supposed to reduce the inflation pressure to the correct level, and some never do.

Quick Reply: TDI/SQ5/3.0T Steering and suspension