Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Terrible Sunshade Situation

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terrible Sunshade Situation

Hey guys.

Brand new Audi owner - 2010 Q5. Love the car. Tried out everything including sunshade. Worked perfectly. Sunshade had slight stain on it, asked dealer to clean while we went and got our trade-in car and a check. They cleaned, we came back, bought car, left. Girlfriend (her new car) pulls into parking lot, and starts to move sunshade back, just testing out features. Snags, rips, metal crinkling, pulls. Sunshade done. Tears. Abundant tears. Never wanted to go all macho-angry man on a dealer in my life, and they've always been stealers to me.

Sob story aside... I don't think I'm going to get anything from the dealer. Not going to try. Already know where that path leads. So I have been doing my research, found the multiple Tiguan/Q5 replacement threads, and sourced the parts over at ECS Tuning. $491.02 out the door for shade, bracing, guidepiece, and bolts. Found the replacement thread with linked PDFs on this forum. All were there except removal of molded headliner, which I can track down.

I think I've got this. Has anyone done this? Advice/tips/warnings? What's my make-it-so-much-worse risk factor here? Got some indy shops that specialize in Audis in the area with great reputations/reviews/etc, and might supply parts and request labor time. Could provide PDFs.

Am I crazy for wanting to do this? I'm not an idiot with cars, done plenty of work on them.

Either way - man possessed and all that. Anything I'm missing?
Old 03-28-2015, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Before spending all the $$$ and time on a new one, maybe you should at least check with the dealer you bought it from. Not sure where you live, but some states require a dealer provide a 30 days warranty on ANY used car they sell. Some states have a lemon law that has stipulations for used cars also.
If you literally just bought it, I'd think they would work with you on it. Even if they don't cover the costs 100%, they may have a source for parts at cost or provide labor at no-charge. Again...assuming it was an issue after just driving off the lot, if they want your future business, they should be willing to look at some options to help you get it taken care of.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cobrar97
Before spending all the $$$ and time on a new one, maybe you should at least check with the dealer you bought it from. Not sure where you live, but some states require a dealer provide a 30 days warranty on ANY used car they sell. Some states have a lemon law that has stipulations for used cars also.
If you literally just bought it, I'd think they would work with you on it. Even if they don't cover the costs 100%, they may have a source for parts at cost or provide labor at no-charge. Again...assuming it was an issue after just driving off the lot, if they want your future business, they should be willing to look at some options to help you get it taken care of.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Hopefully you would get the labor if not the parts, free.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with gojones and cobra. The worst that could happen is they say no. Or, they might offer some help. You'll never know if you don't ask.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I agree with gojones and cobra. The worst that could happen is they say no. Or, they might offer some help. You'll never know if you don't ask.
To everyone in this thread, thanks for the replies calming me down a bit. Last night's post was the culmination of a very taxing day. My hesitance on reaching out was precipitated by the worst used car purchase experience I've ever had (to the fault of a very rogue and very morally ambiguous sales agent - it doesn't seem to be endemic to the entire dealership). I decided to appeal to the general manager directly, thoughtfully (my own judge here, so probably not, but alas), and devoid of as much emotion/anger as possible except where pertinent.

His response was rapid and positive, and we are taking the car in on Monday to have the issue reviewed for repair from the dealer, and he apologized in his e-mail.

It's on track to end MUCH better than it started, and for that I'm very thankful.

Also, what a terrible way to introduce myself to these boards!
Old 03-28-2015, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Well that make ME feel a little better, and it's not even my car. Hopefully they'll do the "right" thing with this. In the meantime, you could review and state laws concerning issues with purchasing a used car from a dealer. Then if things don't go the way they should, you'll have some intelligent-law to offer that could change their way of thinking.
I hope that your poor sales experience is indeed confined to one sales guy and not the entire dealer...because that could mean trouble for your sunshade repair potential. If the dealer didn't take care of these types of things, I can't imagine they'd be around for a long time...so hopefully they'll make sure you end up with vehicle you thought you were buying.
Good luck! And welcome to the group. We're here to offer support like this. We also are here to encourage spending money on parts and modification in the event that you run into a disagreeable significant other (which we probably all have). We can offer the support...but no money loans, because none of us have any after buying and working on Audis.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cobrar97
Well that make ME feel a little better, and it's not even my car. Hopefully they'll do the "right" thing with this. In the meantime, you could review and state laws concerning issues with purchasing a used car from a dealer. Then if things don't go the way they should, you'll have some intelligent-law to offer that could change their way of thinking.
I appreciate it all. The GM of the dealership is who responded and reached out, so I feel more comfortable from that. Today has been the opposite of yesterday, which is welcoming.