Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Thinking about a Q5 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a Q5 2.0T

I am thinking about getting into a Q5 with a 2.0T engine. Inn my price range (35K or less) I am finding some good deals on 2012's or 2011's with low miles on them. My question is, for those of you that own them; have you had any major problems such has transmission issues, engine issues etc? I am not real big on auto transmissions but that is the way the world is heading so if I want a newer car I am going to have to give it a shot. Just looking for your experiences wight eh Q5. Thanks for your time.

Dan
Old 12-17-2014, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by awdxtc
I am thinking about getting into a Q5 with a 2.0T engine. Inn my price range (35K or less) I am finding some good deals on 2012's or 2011's with low miles on them. My question is, for those of you that own them; have you had any major problems such has transmission issues, engine issues etc? I am not real big on auto transmissions but that is the way the world is heading so if I want a newer car I am going to have to give it a shot. Just looking for your experiences wight eh Q5. Thanks for your time.

Dan
Bought my '11 Premium + as a CPO about 13 months ago. Absolutely no issues, handles adverse weather with aplomb, the ride is smooth yet sporty, and the 8-speed transmission (save a little jerk once in a while at low speeds when the auto "locks in") is barely noticeable. Acceleration in sport mode is more than adequate unless you're coming from a sports car, and we've never missed the extra room we had with my previous car, a Mazda CX-9. Go for it!
Old 12-17-2014, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

$35K or less? Can't you get a new 2015 for $37K?

The vehicles are solid. No concerns there. The 8 spd gearbox plus the gearing they selected give this little rig pretty good acceleration.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
$35K or less? Can't you get a new 2015 for $37K?

The vehicles are solid. No concerns there. The 8 spd gearbox plus the gearing they selected give this little rig pretty good acceleration.
I think 37K is the bottom basement model. I know for just under 35K I can get a 2012 2/0T premium plus with like 25,000 miles on it.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here you go Dan...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...great-2872862/
Old 12-18-2014, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by awdxtc
I think 37K is the bottom basement model.

You should review the 2015 base vehicle. You may be surprised by what's standard now.
Old 12-18-2014, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

The 8speed transmission suits the 2.0T well imho. I think that the 220 bhp 2.0 is only just enough for a 2 tonne car but I find it ok...but I do need to move to 'S' sometimes to get the engine to rev a bit for mid range acceleration. An APR stage 1 upgrade would fix this when the warranty is over.

When the Q5 is redone for 2016 I hope that Audi will put the new 272 bhp version of the 2.0 into it as well as in the Q7.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
Bought my '11 Premium + as a CPO about 13 months ago. Absolutely no issues, handles adverse weather with aplomb, the ride is smooth yet sporty, and the 8-speed transmission (save a little jerk once in a while at low speeds when the auto "locks in") is barely noticeable. Acceleration in sport mode is more than adequate unless you're coming from a sports car, and we've never missed the extra room we had with my previous car, a Mazda CX-9. Go for it!
And the CX-9 is a pretty zippy full-size SUV, too, from personal test drive experience. So it's not like coming from something sluggish and saying the 2.0T is "fine".

Tested out the 2.0T and it seemed perfectly adequate, and it was the fallback option if the TDI ended up being stupidly priced or something. I was a little concerned about how it might hold up on power over time with my 1.8T Passat Wagon having gotten a bit less peppy as it got older, but that could just me trying to overplan everything and handle any possible future occurrence.

It's hard to go too far wrong with any configuration of the Q5, even the 2.0T. It's the baby engine and probably about as small as you could reasonably go before truly becoming underpowered (at least based on the need to get going with traffic around here), but as long as you're not needing a speed demon it should be perfectly fine and you can always do tunes and turbo upgrades and whatever down the line to help with the performance side of things if you decide you need to.

And as far as automatics go, the 8-speed ZF is pretty awesome for an automatic, certainly a ton better than the 5-speed my Passat had and my wife's Golf has. Not sure about the 6-speed unit the 3.2s had, if that's still the old-style Tip, but the 8-speed's got some nice gearing on it to help keep cruising revs reasonably low so you don't have tons of noise from the engine really cranking while you're just going 65 or whatever. The 2.0T won't be completely quiet at speed given it is a 2-liter 4-cylinder, but it's certainly better than if it had a few fewer gears, and my recent experience in an allroad loaner vs. my TDI was perfectly fine.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As I just noted in another thread, I bought a 2015 "basement" model a couple of weeks ago and I am really enjoying the car. I previously owned a 2001 TT Quattro, which I happily drove for 200K miles. My sales price was $35,600, which was 12% below msrp, and with audi's current 1.9% financing, my total costs for the car was still $200 below invoice.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by idale
And the CX-9 is a pretty zippy full-size SUV, too, from personal test drive experience. So it's not like coming from something sluggish and saying the 2.0T is "fine".
Dang right! 273HP, 263 ft lbs/torque, 3.7L V-6, 6.8 seconds to 60. But it liked to sip gas -- I usually averaged 15-16 mpg in mixed driving and got 20 mpg just once, down the hill from the high Sierra. I'm getting 20-22 with my Q and average 25 mpg on long freeway trips. Woo hoo!

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Q5 2.0T