Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Time to renew my Audi Connect - did you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to renew my Audi Connect - did you?

My trial period is ending and time to renew my Audi connect. Did any of you renew through t-mobile directly? Will navigation still work with the point of interests stored on the MMI if I decide not to renew? Dealer told my wife that she will loose it and she thought we were going to loose the navigation completely.
I think the deal is $450 at $15/mo. on T-Mobile. Other options that anyone knows about?
Old 02-21-2015, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We did not renew. We pretty much already know where we are going before we leave the house. The google maps are great, but the stored MMI maps are good enough for our usage. We did not lose any of the destinations that we programmed into the MMI once Audi Connect lapsed.
I considered renewing for the wifi, but about the same time, the phone carriers changed their data plans, so I could not justify it.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi connect

There are plenty of prior posts on the topic... I personally went with red pocket mobile which cost me $5/ month for their 500MB data plan which works for me. The T-Mobile plan is a rip off...
Old 02-21-2015, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Red Pocket mobile? Never heard of them, how do you like their service? Was it easy to set up? Decent coverage?
Old 02-21-2015, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine trial period is about over too. I am interested to know more about Red Pocket Mobile or any other providers that are a better value.

V/r
Dan
Old 02-21-2015, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my car CPO so the trial was already over. I just activated it to try for a month while I go on a road trip. I think it will be good to have the wifi hot spot for the kids while travelling about.

The send to car function will be killer when I don't know where I am going. But I don't think I will keep it afterwards except to go on road trips. Just my .02.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I renewed for the $450 for 30 months. Not that i use it frequently, but the Google search/integration is nice, not to mention my kids can use the wifi for their Apple devices.

Last edited by audi40; 02-21-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just looked up the red mobile (I have never heard of them prior to this). I saw the $10/mo 1gb plan which seems great. But I also noticed everything said 4G. So if they give you a 4G sim card - you have tried it and it works well? Assume that it just downgrades itself to 3G?

As a side note: I bought an HP Chromebook 14 for $250. It comes with free 4G from tmobile for life!!! Now you are limited on the data but I think it is like 200mb/month. Just tried it in the audi and it worked!!
just be careful if you go this route because HP has been changing terms on the models and some no longer come with the 4g for life plan. The other nice thing in going this route is that tmobile allows you to buy a "weekend" or Day pass where they upgrade you data plan. So if you are going on a big trip, pay the extra $20 and load up on data and when you are done you are back to the free. I cant beleive I did not try this before.
Free Mobility | HP® Official Site

Last edited by Hockeymonkey; 02-21-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

^^ If you leave the SIM from your Chromebook in the car, T-Mobile will detect that you are using it for a non-tablet device and will turn off the free plan. Others who have tried it have posted that it eventually stopped working for them.

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam. Do a search. With a 2015 Q5, you can also use an AT&T SIM and get full 3G service. The T-Mobile plans are an option and there are several options for pre-paid SIMs that use T-Mobile's network. Pick something that makes sense for you.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Will a Sprint SIM card work? I have a Sprint plan that provides me with unlimited data for $20/month...

Quick Reply: Time to renew my Audi Connect - did you?