Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Time to renew my Audi Connect - did you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Barraged
Will a Sprint SIM card work? I have a Sprint plan that provides me with unlimited data for $20/month...
I don't think so. But you can always put a SIM card in and see what happens!
Old 02-22-2015, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Barraged
Will a Sprint SIM card work? I have a Sprint plan that provides me with unlimited data for $20/month...
No. The Sprint SIM is only for their LTE network and for roaming on foreign networks. Both Verizon and Sprint's 3G networks are CDMA and not GSM based.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine just ran out last week and I did not renew. When I first got the car I certainty thought I would renew but once I started to use Waze- my MMI Nav seems archaic. The voice command prompts have still a ways to go IMO I can see the value if you have kids and they want to hop on their devices.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

"When I first got the car I certainty thought I would renew but once I started to use Waze- my MMI Nav seems archaic. The voice command prompts have still a ways to go IMO I can see the value if you have kids and they want to hop on their devices."

I'm with you. I feel like there must be something earth shattering that i'm not understanding.

I ruined the aluminum around the console from my phone flying off the screen ledge. So now I've got a natural wood applique to put on as soon as it warms up. Bought a Steelie and mounted it on the dash for my phone. Something I should have done immediately, but I believed the nonsense about mmi... You can't beat Waze.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I renewed ours when the trial was running out. I agree with others that it only makes sense if you use it frequently and get some value from it. We use AC a lot on road trips, vacations etc. so it was worth it to us. Will I renew again? Hard to tell. The car with be three years old at that time and I usually don't keep them much beyond the factory warranty period, so we may do without in the last year or so of ownership. I use the send to car feature a lot.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I do not anticipate renewing when my trial period expires next month. I have not been impressed with the real time traffic information - I often check both Google maps on my phone and the MMI Nav and they often route me different ways. I find Google maps on my phone to be more reliable, particularly when re-routes due to traffic are necessary. I have a Verizon 4G mobile hot spot that I can use in the vehicle for passenger's wifi access and this is obviously not restricted to just the car.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dcl23
I do not anticipate renewing when my trial period expires next month. I have not been impressed with the real time traffic information - I often check both Google maps on my phone and the MMI Nav and they often route me different ways. I find Google maps on my phone to be more reliable, particularly when re-routes due to traffic are necessary. I have a Verizon 4G mobile hot spot that I can use in the vehicle for passenger's wifi access and this is obviously not restricted to just the car.
The real time traffic is through Sirius not the wifi
Old 02-23-2015, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

I did not renew the Audi Connect on my wife's 2014 Q5 2.0 since she really didn't need it.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I use the send to car feature a lot.

Me too.

I renewed it for 3 years, but I use it mainly as a backup network....

If you connect an old iOS device and leave it in the vehicle, you can track the Q5 when it is driving around, with the Find My iPhone app. So it provides security too, in a way.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did not renew for 2 reasons:
1. It only works near cities and major hiways. Does not work on back roads, etc
2. When I called T mobile to renew they said I would have to pay for a full month even though half the month had passed. They refused to pro-rate or give me credit for the first 15 days of the month. What a deal- 15 days for the price of 30. A no brainer for me since the service was so poor anyway.

Quick Reply: Time to renew my Audi Connect - did you?