Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

tire question - no one answered (yet)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default tire question - no one answered (yet)

While shopping for new tires for our Q, I noted that tireack.com has two Michelin Latitude Tour HP 235/60/R18 103H tires - one is $217, and another is $239 per tire.
I called tirerack and was told that the cheaper one is an Audi OEM tire. The person I spoke to could not explain the difference between them.

I then called Michelin CS and got the same answer that "one tire is optimized for Audi, and another is not". Again, the person could not explain the difference.

I ordered the "cheap" ones, but still would like to know the difference.

Can anyone explain what the difference is besides $$?

thanx
Old 11-25-2014, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some sports cars and Luxo brands have tires tailored to the vehicle, such as slightly softer compound, minor change to treads, or sidewall changes. Not sure what is customized with that tire, but if it's cheaper and Audi, that is the one to go with.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

It's typically the internal construction of the tire that is different. Tires may appear identical otherwise. Doesn't Tire Rack show a difference in the construction within each tire's description? It certainly would be printed on the tire's sidewall.

Could you notice a difference between these variations? Are you a sensitive kind of guy, M?
Old 11-26-2014, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The OEM tires are built according to car manufacturer specifications, which are never made public. However, most OEM tires emphasize comfort as well as low rolling resistance to achieve better fuel economy. On the other hand, they sacrifice things like traction/grip, steering response, and treadlife, because you can't have it all in one single tire.

Most OEM tires are crap that I can't wait to get rid of.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 11-26-2014 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
The OEM tires are built according to car manufacturer specifications, which are never made public. However, most OEM tires emphasize comfort as well as low rolling resistance to achieve better fuel economy. On the other hand, they sacrifice things like traction/grip, steering response, and treadlife, because you can't have it all in one single tire.

In Europe you can buy all the OEM tires: Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli .....
For all models of BMW, Audi, Mercedes
Old 11-26-2014, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
In Europe you can buy all the OEM tires: Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli .....
For all models of BMW, Audi, Mercedes
You can do the same in the US.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE

I would have to agree that most of the OEM tires are indeed "adjusted" for the benefit of the manufacturer somehow and not the benefit of the end-user.
I can only assume that's the case here. I would also be curious as to the ACTUAL difference. I would actually tend to lean away from the OEM tire in this case toward the more expensive...but again, I would probably want to know for certain that there is indeed a difference.

I have year to have a vehicle with an OEM tire that's better than the mass-market version of the same brand/type.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrar97
I would have to agree that most of the OEM tires are indeed "adjusted" for the benefit of the manufacturer somehow and not the benefit of the end-user.
I can only assume that's the case here. I would also be curious as to the ACTUAL difference. I would actually tend to lean away from the OEM tire in this case toward the more expensive...but again, I would probably want to know for certain that there is indeed a difference.

I have year to have a vehicle with an OEM tire that's better than the mass-market version of the same brand/type.
Maybe in a Kia!! But luxury car engineers spend hours upon hours getting thier cars to handle and perform to top specs. Why would they require 41 psi in the front and 42 psi in the rear I am sure it's for some reason and took hours to decide on that reason. Same thing would apply to tires I think.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Maybe in a Kia!! But luxury car engineers spend hours upon hours getting thier cars to handle and perform to top specs. Why would they require 41 psi in the front and 42 psi in the rear I am sure it's for some reason and took hours to decide on that reason. Same thing would apply to tires I think.
That's quite possible. I wouldn't know since the OEM SQ5 21" wheels only has about 3 replacements options at an arm and a leg each in cost. Almost cheaper to replace the whole car versus replacing the tires on these vehicle anyhow.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
It's typically the internal construction of the tire that is different. Tires may appear identical otherwise. Doesn't Tire Rack show a difference in the construction within each tire's description? It certainly would be printed on the tire's sidewall.

Could you notice a difference between these variations? Are you a sensitive kind of guy, M?
I/we are sensitive to the "comfort" since the Q5 does have somewhat stiff suspension and the seats are hard as well. We live in the area where the roads are not good. w/ lots of bumps and potholes.
I usually go with the most comfortably riding tires, and last time, when replacing OEM Dunlops, I installed Michelin Pilot MX4 tires for about $290 each tire (plus install). Dunlops had a good amount of thread left but I replaced them anyway because they were noisy and not very comfortable.
I am pretty sure that new Latitudes will ride better then old Pilot MX4s.

Quick Reply: tire question - no one answered (yet)