Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tire, Rim and Chip insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 04:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over 40 years of buying new cars and I've never even heard of such a thing as Tire, Rim & Chip insurance.
It'll be interesting to see what they try to sell me when my wife's new A6 comes in..
Tire, Rim & Chip insurance? Nonsense - the purpose of insurance is a catastrophe - not a $75 repair.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive on a highway in Miami that is constantly in construction 5 days a week.

Now I have 3 dings on my hood, which I was given an estimate of 550 to fix.

And I have quite a few small dings on my front bumper...

I told the finance guy at the start, no thanks..

how much are those policies any way?
Old 09-11-2014, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tire & Rim, 3 year, just under $1K.

No deductible.

I would not recommend it for anything but 20" wheels, because of all I've owned those were the only vulnerable size. I've wrecked three. All just potholes.

The stock 20" on the A6, I'm told, is $1,140 each.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SamLV
I would not recommend it for anything but 20" wheels, because of all I've owned those were the only vulnerable size.
You should say 20" up. Those 21"s ain't cheap and are even more vulnerable to curbs and potholes.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SamLV
Tire & Rim, 3 year, just under $1K.

No deductible.

I would not recommend it for anything but 20" wheels, because of all I've owned those were the only vulnerable size. I've wrecked three. All just potholes.

The stock 20" on the A6, I'm told, is $1,140 each.
Quick question, when you bent all those rims, did the tire stay intact? Because I was reading the insurance policy that it will not replace the rim if the tire is intact and can hold air. However, many people had no issues filing the claim to get the rims replaced if bent rather then straightening it.

have a 2014 A6 TDI prestige with the the 20 inch rotor rims and I bought the 4 year plan for $868 dollars. The issue I have now is that I have 2 bent rims but the tires are fine but they could not balance the wheel/tire assembly and got high road force numbers of 20 lbs. The technicians recommended replacement of the rims to solve the vibration.

Last edited by Baloo588; 10-13-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Bob-
Some folks can't even walk with scissors without having accidents. I know a few of those and they get their money's worth on these kind of warranties. But I also know (from having worked for the Dark Side) that the dealers make more money on these extended warranties than they sometimes make on the CARS. Which means most folks never put in any substantial claims.

My last set of alloy wheels was nearly thirty years old when we parted ways, and somehow I never had a curb rash problem with them, even in parallel parking.

OTOH if you're the kind of folks who are SO entertaining, having two or three people on the sidewalk talking you back while you're parking.....(G).....

So I bought a half dozen cans of ScotchGuard, for carpet, for leather, whatever, and I know from experience that will pretty much protect anything unless I do something stupid like spill battery acid on it, or drop a box of scalpels.

It's a personal decision. If you suffer from "klunk drop and spill" a lot...it can be worthwhile. For the average driver? No, that's why dealers love "aftersales".
Old 10-16-2014, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Bob-
Some folks can't even walk with scissors without having accidents. I know a few of those and they get their money's worth on these kind of warranties. But I also know (from having worked for the Dark Side) that the dealers make more money on these extended warranties than they sometimes make on the CARS. Which means most folks never put in any substantial claims.

My last set of alloy wheels was nearly thirty years old when we parted ways, and somehow I never had a curb rash problem with them, even in parallel parking.

OTOH if you're the kind of folks who are SO entertaining, having two or three people on the sidewalk talking you back while you're parking.....(G).....

So I bought a half dozen cans of ScotchGuard, for carpet, for leather, whatever, and I know from experience that will pretty much protect anything unless I do something stupid like spill battery acid on it, or drop a box of scalpels.

It's a personal decision. If you suffer from "klunk drop and spill" a lot...it can be worthwhile. For the average driver? No, that's why dealers love "aftersales".

Hey Redd,

Agreed, I never bought these before and allowed myself to get talked into it.
I will be requesting a refund.

B
Old 10-16-2014, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, the something-or-other Manager pitched me on a couple of grand of ups and extras that I could only buy right now when I was picking up the car. I told him I thought I could buy them anytime in the first 30 days, couldn't I? And I certainly wasn't going to do anything on the spot. he generously said I could think it over over the weekend. (Ha.)

I don't do a lot of mileage, and I try to take reasonable care of a car. I figure that if I manage to split a seat, eight hundred bucks will certainly buy a repair, I've had seats recovered before and if you find a shop that actually does the work--it is surprisingly affordable.

So I don't carry lead acid batteries on the seats, or juggle chainsaws while I'm stopped at a light. Last time someone asked me about an extended warranty, I put on a very worried face and said "Well, if you don't think they are reliable, maybe I shouldn't be buying one of these."

Hey, when someone wants to play with you, you're obligated to play. And also allowed to make the rules.(G)
Old 10-17-2014, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't buy those "Proposition Policies" either, but I do want to relay a story. Years ago I was installing a subwoofer in my Z28. It required a lot of getting into and out if the driver's seat. I had put a pair of needle nose pliers in my back pocket, got into the car, and when I got out....Ugh! A neat two inch rip in the leather seat.
I'm usually not that dumb, but accidents do happen.....DAMN!

Originally Posted by Redd
Bob-

Old 10-17-2014, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sure, ---- happens. And I'm sure Audi leather costs more than some. But years ago when I needed to have an entire seat rebuilt (don't ask) full leather would have cost me only $100 more than good upholstery cloth. $450 versus $350 for a complete rebuild, foam and all, on a bucket seat similar to a Recaro, not a simple bench seat.

So if the package is what, $800? What are the odds I'll need how much how many times?

My friend had a disaster recently with a steering wheel. Apparently some greasemonkey got brake fluid on it, and the "sticky" leather steering wheel turned out to be a very good vinyl-coated wheel. The brake fluid dissolved the vinyl! Cost to replace? Don't even go there. But a vinyl repair guy resprayed the entire wheel, finished it looking factory new and "leathery" again, for $75.

They don't advertise much, but there are always interior repair guys who will come to you. The body shops and service managers always keep a list of good ones, which they'll sometimes share.

Quick Reply: Tire, Rim and Chip insurance