Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Tracking the SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tracking the SQ5

I had the opportunity this weekend to track the SQ5. It was freakin' phenomenal!
If you get the opportunity, I highly recommend it! None of these Audi events allow them on the track, but their performance is top-notch. The Quattro is a real peach, and the traction control doesn't bust your chops for getting crazy. The SQ impressed a lot of people, primarily me. Several people came up after my sessions to look and ask questions about it; some that I had passed, and others from the more advanced groups that were watching from the paddock. It was the only SUV in my group and it practically dominated the track against BMW's, Camaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, several Mazda MX5 racers, and even a Viper. Granted, some of them had more power and should have got me on the straight-aways, but the Quattro had me going faster in and out of the turns. If anyone was behind me going into a turn, I left them coming out of it. Many asked if I had a tune, but it's bone-stock, performance-wise. I think I may have sold a couple of them this weekend, so maybe I can get sponsorship from Audi? No...seriously.

The Sport-auto setting is perfect for the track, allowing amateur track drivers to focus on the important things: turn-in, apex, track-out, flags, mirrors, etc. MSR in Cresson, Texas is a fun but tough 3.1-mile track, and the SQ ate it up! If any of you SQ5'ers out there get the opportunity with an organization that allows sport SUV's on the track, DO IT!!! It was non-the-worse for wear, but the tires are another story. If you got the 20"s, go for it. If you have the 21"s like me, well, you gotta pay to play. I nearly melted these Pirellis. The SQ allows you to explore the limitations of your tires and I found them to be the weak link. I also have a new-found love, respect, & trust in this Quattro. I plan to get some 20x10 wheels to outfit with track tires and go back. I'm bragging about the car, not my driving when I say that I was promoted from green to blue in only one weekend event. I bow to the SQ5. I mean, if you want and can afford a good race car, then get it. If not, but you have one of the Audi S Quattro's, give it a shot. It will not disappoint, but impress.

I'm hoping they will post some videos later this week and I'll post some links. I did get a couple of pics though...

Some say, that his lead foot melts tires, and that in Texas he is a registered speed offender.
All we know is, it's NOT the Stig...it's the Stig's Texan cousin.

Last edited by SQive; 11-04-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you clock how fast to do 0-60? 1/4 mile time? I would really like to try my SQ5 on the track next spring/summer.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:46 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Very interesting, thanks for the post. I would love to see some video. Steve
Old 10-27-2014, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've been waiting for a post like this! I'm considering tracking now that cooler weather is here. A couple of questions: Do you have track experience in another car? Now that you've tracked it, do you think the SQ5 could benefit from upgraded springs?

Can't wait for more photos/videos!

Btw, if anyone is interested in telemetry on the cheap, take a look at an OBDII Wifi scanner (about $25) and pair it up with the DashCommand app (about $10). There are more accurate and robust systems out there, but they are also much more expensive.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by miamigrrl [midori]
I've been waiting for a post like this! I'm considering tracking now that cooler weather is here. A couple of questions: Do you have track experience in another car? Now that you've tracked it, do you think the SQ5 could benefit from upgraded springs?
Yes...but it was a Gallardo Superleggera. However, because it was limited, my SQ5 was way, way more fun!
Springs...no, they were perfect. I wouldn't want it any stiffer while clipping the apron in the apex.
The only things I would change is to go with the thicker sway-bars and the Alu Kruez.

I didn't get any times. I thought someone else would do that, but in the green group, they will not time the laps because they don't want the novice group getting too competitive. There was one guy two groups ahead (yellow) that said he timed me at 2:51. That means nothing unless you know the track, but he also said that his best time in his SVT Cobra was 2:40. He was also one of the guys asking about how he should order one.

BTW, I meant to mention the the brakes performed flawlessly! I drove this thing like I stole it and not once was there the slightest hint of fade. The SQ5 is truly wonderful on the track. Here are what few photos I have, although stills don't really say much.

There were a butt-load of Mazda's out there. They are popular, inexpensive, race-ready cars without any driving aids. The SQ walked right past them. But seriously, if you've got the nerve, the SQ will keep you in control. Twice I ran off the track and, while that might destroy those sports cars, the SQ just got back on and continued.

Last edited by SQive; 10-27-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice! I was hoping I didn't open this thread to a slew of "why would you track an SUV?" to "it's an SUV not a sports car" to "won't you affect the warranty?" posts. Very pleased to see some actual interest and insights.

What was the temperature when you ran? I've always wondered how the 3.0T does with more sustained power "requests". Many blown cars suffer from drastically reduced power due to heat soak, undersized intercooler(s), insufficient cooling systems, etc. Did you notice any significant power droop after some hot laps?

Also nice to hear about the brakes. Even the base 3.0T has some pretty solid brakes, the SQ5 even more-so.

Great info!
(love the t-shirt BTW)
Old 10-27-2014, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Nice! I was hoping I didn't open this thread to a slew of "why would you track an SUV?" to "it's an SUV not a sports car" to "won't you affect the warranty?" posts. Very pleased to see some actual interest and insights.
Agreed! You can call it a truck and turn your nose up if you drive a true, low-to-the-ground, 75K+ sports car that you have tracked. If not...well, it reminds me of a joke I just heard:

Knock knock
Who's there?
Viet Nam
Viet Na...YOU WEREN'T THERE, MAN!!!

What was the temperature when you ran? I've always wondered how the 3.0T does with more sustained power "requests". Many blown cars suffer from drastically reduced power due to heat soak, undersized intercooler(s), insufficient cooling systems, etc. Did you notice any significant power droop after some hot laps?
It was a warm weekend for late October...probably around 80^F, and very windy. The temp gauge was as steady as those brakes...never left normal. In fact, it kind of felt like it got faster, but maybe that was just me.

Also nice to hear about the brakes. Even the base 3.0T has some pretty solid brakes, the SQ5 even more-so.

Great info!
(love the t-shirt BTW)
Yeah, the shirt really fits the whole "Texas thang."
I don't mean to sound like an excited braggart, but my instructor is a red-group racer with a fully modified M3 and he said it was the fastest in my group, which amazed him because it was an SUV. YMMV, but if you've got the guts to push it to the tire's limits, it will make you proud as well.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well it's not an SUV (though I certainly expect that the SUV exclusion on most track events would include CUVs as well), so I would hope people wouldn't be ranting about those things here! Not the first to track/drag, either.

Always good to get information on how vehicles perform outside typical street conditions, too, since if it can hold its own on the track (other than really long straights, of course) then you should have zero issues with street performance. My TDI does well enough on street (better before I changed tires, but hopefully that gets rectified whenever these need to get replaced), I'd hope the S would be even better.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
Always good to get information on how vehicles perform outside typical street conditions, too, since if it can hold its own on the track (other than really long straights, of course) then you should have zero issues with street performance. My TDI does well enough on street (better before I changed tires, but hopefully that gets rectified whenever these need to get replaced), I'd hope the S would be even better.
Honestly...my expectations Saturday morning were to just get in line and keep up with the pack. Whoa! I had no idea this thing was so capable! I realize it was the amateur group, but I was never passed on Saturday, and only got passed on Sunday because I got all four tires off (black-flagged) and had to pit. For the whole weekend, I flew off the track twice and half-spun once, yet there was absolutely no drama. Not once did I ever have any feelings of panic whatsoever. Not once did I stop. I just drove my 4-wheel drive CUV back onto the track...la-dee-da. I'm kind of glad it's so hard to get a spot on the local track, because buying these tires on a regular basis would put me in the poor house.

Last edited by SQive; 10-27-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SQive
I'm kind of glad it's so hard to get a spot on the local track, because buying these tires on a regular basis would put me in the poor house.
Certainly the big issue with tracking, all the expenses from "consumable" parts (brakes and tires are the big ones). I'd like to get out at some point just to do it once (with the local Audi group), but at the same time I'd rather not chew through my tires and brakes so much.

Quick Reply: Tracking the SQ5