Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Trade in opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade in opinions

Agreed to trade in my 13'premium + with 46k miles for a 15' Q5. Got 65% of 13's original MSRP for the trade. Offer is good until new car is delivered in 2 months even though ill put another 4k miles on it.
This was about $1000 less than KBB "GOOD".... But $2500 over autotrader instant tradein offer. I also got 6% off the 15' plus $1000 loyalty.
Do you think thats good? Im having a little remourse cause I didnt give much pushback on trade( unlike me!). Plus dealers are selling these used(certified) for mid 30's.
Appreciate any insight on resale or trade in offers you have received.

Last edited by ssteigss; 01-23-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have one near you, you might want to take the '13 to a Car Max, have it appraised and see what they would give you for it. It's quick (30 minutes or so) and easy. Plus they give you a printed offer to take with you. If it's a big difference you can use their offer to negotiate with the dealer, or sell it to Car Max if you want.

If you don't like their offer nothing lost there's no obligation.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssteigss
Agreed to trade in my 13'premium + with 46k miles for a 15' Q5.
Just curious, why are you trading so soon for an essentially same car? Is it the miles?
Old 01-23-2015, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Just curious, why are you trading so soon for an essentially same car? Is it the miles?
Yes. I drive about 25k miles a year. Audi care and warranty are both done soon which means ill be paying all of the maintenance & repairs going forward. Given the # of miles i drive the car is depreciating almost as quick as Im paying it off. If i held onto it another 3 yrs when paid off it would have 125k miles on it. Maybe its worth 10k at that point minus the maintenace repairs required( figure $3k min.for tires brakes etc.) Im getting $9k over what i owe plus $1000 loyalty by trading it in now. Payment stays same plus im covered under warranty/ audicare going forward. That was my thought process. Final reason was i wanted the newer improved engine that didnt come out till 2014. They made several improvements...chain instead of belt, additional injector to reduce carbon buildup, reduced friction etc.If i keep this one longer term im thinking it will be more reliable.

Last edited by ssteigss; 01-23-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

additional injector to reduce carbon buildup,
What is the source of this info?

Also, I'm pretty sure your 2013 2.0T already has a timing chain.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 01-23-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

3rd Gen EA888 added port injection

Audi Gives Us the Skinny On Its Third-Gen EA888 Turbo Four and the SQ5?s Twin-Turbo Diesel V6 | Car and Driver Blog
Old 01-23-2015, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

New 2014 Q5 220HP 2.0T engine changes.. - AudiWorld Forums
This is where majority of info is. I read about addlt injector somewhere else but cant find it now. The bump was from 211hp to 220( its 225 in europe). But it sounds like they changed a lot. Driving my 13 vs the 15 the new one does seem to be more linear when u accelerate etc.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

As far as I know, the above info is not correct. Some European versions of this engine got the indirect injection in order to comply with the latest Euro emissions standards, but that was not the case for the US versions.

I can't find any technical literature mentioning secondary indirect fuel injection for the US.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

As far as I know, the above info is not correct. Some European versions of this engine got the indirect injection in order to comply with the latest Euro emissions standards, but that was not the case for the US versions.

I can't find any technical literature mentioning secondary indirect fuel injection for the US.
Interesting. The engine improvements were not my main reason for trade( perk though). But my 13's engine and tranny dont always seem to be on same page. Clunkiness at low speeds, lag in some situations. The 14/15's Ive driven seem to be smoother overall. Maybe audi changed somethin in newer versions( unannounced). Ive had software updates performed in mine with no improvement.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Interesting. The engine improvements were not my main reason for trade( perk though). But my 13's engine and tranny dont always seem to be on same page. Clunkiness at low speeds, lag in some situations. The 14/15's Ive driven seem to be smoother overall. Maybe audi changed somethin in newer versions( unannounced). Ive had software updates performed in mine with no improvement.
Some of it may be due to improvements. Some of it may be due to comparing used engine to a new one. Your engine might already have some carbon deposits which affect performance.

Quick Reply: Trade in opinions