Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Trailer hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer hitch?

I am not quite sure why I might need a trailer hitch, other than for being able to attach a bike attachment, though from what I understand, I can also attach a bike attachment to the rear even without the hitch.

Besides hauling jet skis or a boat, neither of which I can see myself doing, why else might I want one?

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I got mine only for the bike rack. But having it there for other uses is nice:
1. Rental of power equipment
2. Borrowing a trailer for yard work
3. Resale
4. Helping friends.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fredlikes
I am not quite sure why I might need a trailer hitch, other than for being able to attach a bike attachment, though from what I understand, I can also attach a bike attachment to the rear even without the hitch.

Besides hauling jet skis or a boat, neither of which I can see myself doing, why else might I want one?

Thanks.
From my own personal experience buying a utility trailer was one of the best things I ever bought. It was something I could have made much more use of in my younger days, but even buying the trailer about 15 years ago has paid for itself many times over.

It came in handy at least a dozen times picking furniture up from places like Ikea for us and the kids when they had moved out and needed stuff for their place. Ikea charges at least $50 per trip. Great for getting a load of earth, gravel and other types of material when you need it. Places charge about $30-40.

We moved into a new home 4 years ago and used it a lot to get foundation plantings, shrubs, trees and the like. Used it extensively to move all those boxes as well.

Came in handy as well as each of the three kids moved out, not that I was pushing them . I don't know your personal situation, but if you get a hitch, I would strongly recommend getting a utility trailer at least 4X8. Oh yes, then you'll have lots of friends .

Go for it!
Old 11-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm considering buying one for those metal trays that you can hook on for additional storage like coolers, etc.

Anybody have any idea how much one is for the dealer to add after the fact? I saw $795 but i assume that's w/o labor.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i called a local Uhaul store that specializes in trailer hitches. they didn't have prices for the 2011 Q5, but we decided that it would be the same as the 2010 Q5, so based on that, the cost of the hitch plus labor is $380, which is probably about $1000 cheaper than an Audi dealer.

i haven't decided to go for it yet because i'm only planning on attaching a bike carrier, so it doesn't seem to be worth it.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audihonda
i called a local Uhaul store that specializes in trailer hitches. they didn't have prices for the 2011 Q5, but we decided that it would be the same as the 2010 Q5, so based on that, the cost of the hitch plus labor is $380, which is probably about $1000 cheaper than an Audi dealer.

i haven't decided to go for it yet because i'm only planning on attaching a bike carrier, so it doesn't seem to be worth it.
audihonda - If I am not mistaken, there is still a trip to the dealer in your future so they can work their magic with the Q's computer. Also, with my previous experiences from UHaul joints in the past, I wouldn't even consider letting them touch my $50k investment. There is a very good chance that "you get what you pay for". Perhaps your UHaul joints and experiences are better. Mileage may vary, see dealer for details. Should you decide on going with UHaul, let us know how it goes.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mine was a "port-installed" option. Not sure what that means (whether it was actually installed at the port, or prepped in Germany, or what) but it was $795 and looks excellent and I beleive there were other modifications (electrical) that were made to the car. I got it primarily for a bike rack, and because there isn't a tremendous amount of storage inside and it opens up other storage options. I only wish there was an Audi hitch cover to plug the hole - that would look sweet.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't forget to make sure that you include the ESP module in your towing package if you plan to pull something with yout hitch.

This module makes the ESP system aware that a trailer is connected to the vehicle and will make it react accordingly. I was told this module is around 800$. It was part of my "towing package" when I ordered my Q5 and this package costed me 1500$.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
Don't forget to make sure that you include the ESP module in your towing package if you plan to pull something with yout hitch.

This module makes the ESP system aware that a trailer is connected to the vehicle and will make it react accordingly. I was told this module is around 800$. It was part of my "towing package" when I ordered my Q5 and this package costed me 1500$.
Module comes with factory hitch and is absolutley necessary if towing a trailer.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audihonda

So you are going to be the Guinea pig?

I know few have ordered the control box from UK and used Curt hitch but so far no one dared to use half-assing expertise from U-Haul.

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch?