Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Trailer hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was one of the main things I had to have with the Q5. For us the Q5 took the place of a 328i daily driver as well as a Jeep Grand Cherokee that was just used for snow and moving furniture/ larger items ect. Giving up the larger cargo area and the peace of mind of throwing semi dirty gear in the Jeep and not caring as much about the interior made it a must to be able to use a utility trailer.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect that like Australian delivered cars, the NA delivered ones come standard with the trailer preparation pack. This basically just amounts to some pre-prepared wiring but means that you still need the trailer module (the control box). I'm pretty sure there is no ESP functionality in the trailer module just the interface required to tell the already existing ESP that there is a trailer attached. The ESP does the rest.

The trailer module is available in the UK for around US$200.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by audihonda
i called a local Uhaul store that specializes in trailer hitches. they didn't have prices for the 2011 Q5, but we decided that it would be the same as the 2010 Q5, so based on that, the cost of the hitch plus labor is $380, which is probably about $1000 cheaper than an Audi dealer.

i haven't decided to go for it yet because i'm only planning on attaching a bike carrier, so it doesn't seem to be worth it.
I want to relate a story I experienced. I don't use UHaul because of their poor service record and lousy vehicles and trailers but they had a propane tank refilling station very close to my house. I was in there refilling a tank when a person was in complaining about the noise coming from the exhaust hitting the hitch that UHaul had installed. They told him there was nothing he could do because someone had removed the UHaul sticker from the hitch and that broke the warranty. The man had the full paperwork from the install and the car matched all the paperwork. UHaul refused to help. As he went to leave I went out and told him of a muffler shop down the road that was very reasonable who could bend the exhaust system to fix the interference issue.

The other issue is that any UHaul place probably has not seen a Q5 before and will be doing the work for the first time - I doubt that they will do as good a job as a Audi Dealership or a Audi aftermarket place. Just my humble opinion
Old 11-17-2010, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can someone please post pics of the rear of their q5 with the hitch from factory? Mine is at the port now and want to see what it looks like before i give the ok to my salesman to put it on. Tia
Old 11-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Shrad6
Can someone please post pics of the rear of their q5 with the hitch from factory? Mine is at the port now and want to see what it looks like before i give the ok to my salesman to put it on. Tia
Shard6 - you can do a quick google image search for "Audi Q5 Trailer Hitch" to find images of what it will look like.

Also check the following link: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=1
Old 11-17-2010, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pics are the S-Line as-delivered (with the uncut hitch cover), my custom-cut cover, and the cover installed.
Attached Images     
Old 05-05-2014, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Pics are the S-Line as-delivered (with the uncut hitch cover), my custom-cut cover, and the cover installed.
Super OEM hitch, I have not ordered my Q5 2014 S Line with the original hitch and I regrete, can you tell me what the company would look like a more original one or the best .

Thank you and sorry about me English
Old 05-05-2014, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kidrx8
Super OEM hitch, I have not ordered my Q5 2014 S Line with the original hitch and I regrete, can you tell me what the company would look like a more original one or the best .

Thank you and sorry about me English
Check that one: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...9#post24563059

Cheaper and cleaner than OEM.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
Check that one: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...9#post24563059

Cheaper and cleaner than OEM.
Very nice , thank you i will try to know if I can have in canada
Old 05-05-2014, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kidrx8
Very nice , thank you i will try to know if I can have in canada
You know Freeport Forwarding? I have all my items shiiped there. They are located just on the other side of the border. PM me if you need more information.

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch?