Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Trailer hitch and parking system rear sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 07:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer hitch and parking system rear sensors

Hi everyone
Cheers from Canada. For the past 5 years we drove Lexus IS350, but with the arrival of 2 grandsons the time came for a bigger vehicle and we bought our first Audi. Ibis white 2015 Q5 TDI with S-Line and navigation packages. We love our new car. Spacious, 2 car seats fit with ease, plenty of cargo space, plenty of power, comfortable ride and the list goes on. Fuel consumption is fantastic. 8.9L/100km compared TO 13L/100km with Lexus. Very happy overall.
For the past couple of days the front parking sensors have not been emitting sound alerts when driving into the garage or approaching objects. We also have an OE trailer hitch installation scheduled for August 31st at the dealer. While reading the user manual regarding the parking system sensors I came across a paragraph regarding trailer hitch installation. It reads:
"For vehicles with a factory installed trailer hitch, or a trailer hitch installed according to factory specifications, the parking system rear sensors not come on whenever you shift into reverse gear or press P^ switch. Remember, there is no warning for distances the rear. The front sensors remain activated. The visual display switches to the trailer towing mode. The picture from the rearview camera will not show the orientation lines nor the blue surfaces."
Here is my question. Does this mean rear sensors functionality will be lost completely or will only be unavailable when a trailer actually attached to the hitch and the electrical harness connected? I do not want to loose a very important safety feature over a trailer hitch and if that's the case I will cancel the installation all together and will use the appointment to address the from sensors issue then.

Thank you very much in advance!

Vlad
Old 08-16-2015, 02:11 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Russkii
Hi everyone
Cheers from Canada. For the past 5 years we drove Lexus IS350, but with the arrival of 2 grandsons the time came for a bigger vehicle and we bought our first Audi. Ibis white 2015 Q5 TDI with S-Line and navigation packages. We love our new car. Spacious, 2 car seats fit with ease, plenty of cargo space, plenty of power, comfortable ride and the list goes on. Fuel consumption is fantastic. 8.9L/100km compared TO 13L/100km with Lexus. Very happy overall.
For the past couple of days the front parking sensors have not been emitting sound alerts when driving into the garage or approaching objects. We also have an OE trailer hitch installation scheduled for August 31st at the dealer. While reading the user manual regarding the parking system sensors I came across a paragraph regarding trailer hitch installation. It reads:
"For vehicles with a factory installed trailer hitch, or a trailer hitch installed according to factory specifications, the parking system rear sensors not come on whenever you shift into reverse gear or press P^ switch. Remember, there is no warning for distances the rear. The front sensors remain activated. The visual display switches to the trailer towing mode. The picture from the rearview camera will not show the orientation lines nor the blue surfaces."
Here is my question. Does this mean rear sensors functionality will be lost completely or will only be unavailable when a trailer actually attached to the hitch and the electrical harness connected? I do not want to loose a very important safety feature over a trailer hitch and if that's the case I will cancel the installation all together and will use the appointment to address the from sensors issue then.

Thank you very much in advance!

Vlad
When pulling into your garage in D (Drive), press the Parking aid button on your dash. It will now give you visual and audible warning as your bumper gets close to stationary objects. As far as the rear....Having the hitch installed doesn't disable your rear sensors. The rear sensors only become inactive when you have a trailer attached. Makes sense tho. Why do you need sensors when you have a trailer attached to the back of the vehicle. Same logic applies to the guide lines on the screen. You still get a picture, but the guide lines become pointless if you have a trailer in the view.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the backup camera still works though!

the screen that displays how close or far away you are from the object for the rear turns into an image of a trailer. it's really cool! But only when you have something attached to your trailer wiring. Also the tailgate will not power open remotely, you have to physically push the button for it to work.

The only time my front sensors didn't work was when I blew a fuse but a lot of other things didn't work either.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
When pulling into your garage in D (Drive), press the Parking aid button on your dash. It will now give you visual and audible warning as your bumper gets close to stationary objects. As far as the rear....Having the hitch installed doesn't disable your rear sensors. The rear sensors only become inactive when you have a trailer attached. Makes sense tho. Why do you need sensors when you have a trailer attached to the back of the vehicle. Same logic applies to the guide lines on the screen. You still get a picture, but the guide lines become pointless if you have a trailer in the view.
Indeed, having a trailer-hitch mount bike rack doesn't disable the sensors, and in fact sets them off constantly!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you everyone for the replies. That's exactly what the voice of reason was telling me, but being new to Audi, trailer hitches in general and user manual confusing interpretation, prompted me to turn to more experienced members of this community for help. Better safe then sorry.
On the topic of front parking sensors. Mrclopec, you are correct that pushing Parking aid button on the dash turns the rear view camera on with visual and audible warnings. Same happens if you shift into reverse gear, put the car back into D and slowly drive into the garage. Since the speed is too low for the camera to turn off you get the warnings. That's what my wife was doing before I showed her the Parking aid button. She wants to see the rear bumper to make sure it clears the garage door. So yes there are workarounds. But the front sensors used to work without having to do any of those actions. What caused them to stop?
Old 08-17-2015, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Strange, when I have my bike rack fitted to Audi installed hitch it doesn't set off the rear sensors constantly....
Old 08-17-2015, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthValley
Strange, when I have my bike rack fitted to Audi installed hitch it doesn't set off the rear sensors constantly....
It may depend on the type of hitch. I have a 1Up rack - 1UPUSA.com Bicycle Racks - which spreads across the rear. If it were the more traditional type that's just a post going up from which you hang bikes it might not interfere.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A6forMoi
It may depend on the type of hitch. I have a 1Up rack - 1UPUSA.com Bicycle Racks - which spreads across the rear. If it were the more traditional type that's just a post going up from which you hang bikes it might not interfere.
Have Yakima Hold-Up 2 and sensor warnings go off constantly for me as well in either rack position.

Is there something you can plug into the hitch plug to fool it into thinking a trailer is attached to 1. disable the alarm (although I know you can from the dash) and 2. prevent opening the hatch or is that a bad idea?

Last edited by masemoto; 08-17-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I use the Thule Euroclassic G6 3 bike carrier with full electrical connection. It definitely blocks sensors 'view' so I assume that when it is electrically connected, coupled with Audi hitch, it disconnects them altogether.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Went through entire Parking System section of the user manual again and finally found the paragraph saying that in order to use the front parking system P^ switch needs to be ON. Just like Mrclopec stated. Also, the dealer called this morning to confirm the appointment, so I asked them the question regarding OE trailer hitch and parking system being disabled. Just like couple of you said that the rear parking system gets disabled once a trailer is connected to the receiver and electrical harness is plugged in. Once disconnected it returns to normal operation.
Thank you everyone for help.