Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Turning off car

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Turning off car

I noticed that after turning the car off the hood still has some additional noise that stays on for a few minutes. I have a 2014 Q5 TDI and don't recall hearing any noise after putting the car in park and shutting the engine off...

It could be that it is getting colder now? I was out of town for a week and the car was larger in an airport garage etc...

Is this normal? I had it happen today after about a 15 minute drive to the gym as well.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 2015 TDI and I had a noise coming from under the hood area on one occasion. I took it to be passive regeneration of the DFP. I took it back out into the neighborhood in manual shift and drove around at 2500 rpms at 20 mph. Hadn't heard it since.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

these cars make a lot of weird noises when the car is off. it's normal.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gojones
I have the 2015 TDI and I had a noise coming from under the hood area on one occasion. I took it to be passive regeneration of the DFP. I took it back out into the neighborhood in manual shift and drove around at 2500 rpms at 20 mph. Hadn't heard it since.
Regen is pretty obvious, you'll hear a lot of noise from the engine compartment (I think the engine continues running for the duration, plus the fans), it'll be really warm next to the car, and there'll likely be a little bit of a burning smell. It'll finish the cycle on its own and finish shutting the engine off, so you're fine to leave it in those cases.

A more subtle noise could be something like the fans still running to cool the engine compartment off before fully shutting off, and there's usually relays and such that are switching off various things.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well this being my first Diesel, its good to know my car is normal.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gojones
Well this being my first Diesel, its good to know my car is normal.
Even if you've owned diesels before, the regen process that the Q5 runs would likely still be new to you, especially the car sometimes continuing to run after you've turned it off (and gotten out and locked it). Shouldn't take too long to get used to what is "normal" for it, but especially with regen the first time it's pretty much "Uh, what's the deal here?". I knew it'd do it, but still wasn't sure what to expect until the first time.

I'm not sure what the trigger for running regen is, if it's time- or mileage-based or if there's some sort of calculation going on to figure out when it's needed so it could seem more "random". The longer you drive at a time, the more likely it is that if regen starts it will be able to complete prior to arriving at your destination so you wouldn't necessarily notice it doing its thing. I've had times I've noticed it every few times I've gotten out, other times I only notice start/stop occasionally not triggering for a while during the commute when it should've been able to activate.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks! I hadn't driven the car for a week and I guess my have driven it a bit more "spirited" on my way home through route 17 to Santa Cruz! I enjoy the 26 mile curvy mountain road and feel that audis and subarus were made for the journey.

I don't recall ever hearing the car "stay on" or go through a process before so I thought it was strange... I am just over 10,500 miles and unsure if that might have triggered it etc...

This forum is very useful as I am a total newbie to the TDI / diesel world... Loving every minute of it!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

This exact thing happened last night to my TDI. In my case, I'm sure it was the Regen process, since the heat coming from under the Q was very noticeable. The fans were very loud, but after letting it sit for about 5 mins and having it not stop, I decided to pull out of the garage and drive through the canyons for a little while for the process to finish properly.

This seems to be common for an interrupted Regen cycle process. I would recommend that if your TDI does encounter this to allow it to finish or let it sit in a well ventilated area, since, the amount of heat I felt coming from the undercarriage was very noticeable. So just be careful if you do encounter this while in a poorly ventilated garage.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ours is not a TDI, and it also makes noises after being turned off.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Ours is not a TDI, and it also makes noises after being turned off.
The radiator fan will always be able to continue going regardless of engine type. Is there something for the A/C, too, to ensure it drains fully? Can't remember....

The TDI'll be the only one making sure to actively bake the system, though, and certainly makes a lot more noise than just the fan finishing up cooling off the engine bay.

Quick Reply: Turning off car