Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Turning off car

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it's the fan in our case. The noises are more subtle. I'll have to record them one of these days.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
Regen is pretty obvious, you'll hear a lot of noise from the engine compartment (I think the engine continues running for the duration, plus the fans), it'll be really warm next to the car, and there'll likely be a little bit of a burning smell. It'll finish the cycle on its own and finish shutting the engine off, so you're fine to leave it in those cases.
So this happened to me for the first time last week . . . pulled into the parking garage at work and when I turned the engine off and opened the door, I smelled a slight burning smell and definitely heard the noise from the engine compartment. I was a little freaked out, and hung around the car for a couple of minutes, but then realized it must be the regen, because it was definitely not the much more subtle fan noises I'd heard before after turning the car off and locking it.

My first diesel, so it's a new (and interesting, in a good way) learning experience!
Old 12-18-2014, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by metta
So this happened to me for the first time last week . . . pulled into the parking garage at work and when I turned the engine off and opened the door, I smelled a slight burning smell and definitely heard the noise from the engine compartment. I was a little freaked out, and hung around the car for a couple of minutes, but then realized it must be the regen, because it was definitely not the much more subtle fan noises I'd heard before after turning the car off and locking it.

My first diesel, so it's a new (and interesting, in a good way) learning experience!
If you get out and notice your leg's starting to roast, it's definitely regen. Luckily the burning smell isn't your leg. Might be good if the sales people let buyers know what to expect, since I'm sure people who aren't the sort to frequent message boards like AW will call into the dealer and get the usual "it's normal" line without any sort of context into why it's normal and it's not a "blow off" response.

And keep in mind that diesels have changed over the years and older VW/Audi diesels wouldn't behave this way. Recent diesels with active regen would stop it cold when the ignition turned off, and prior versions didn't have active regen at all (but then they may not have had a DPF at all so there'd be nothing to regen). So even if this wasn't your first diesel (my wife's got a 2004 Golf TDI) it'd still most likely be a new experience.