Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

VCDS (VAG-COM): a couple of questions

Old 08-11-2012, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VCDS (VAG-COM): a couple of questions

So far I've done quite a few little mods, which have all seemed to go pretty well.

So far I have:

*Enabled Gauge/Needle Sweep on start-up (really gives the Q a "sporty" feel)

*Set fog-lights to work with high-beams as well as low-beams (so nice)

*Set fog-lights to track corners when turning steering wheel (major difference, it is really nice driving a twisty-turning road now at night)

*Set the Drive "D" and Sport "S" mode to display gears (D1-D8, S1-S8).

*Removed seat belt chime on start-up (so much nicer to just hear the engine when you turn on the car instead of a bunch of stuff beeping at you. Silence is golden here)

*Set-up the Key FOB to open Windows/Sunroof from the remote. (I just set mine to do front windows and sunroof, but you can choose to add rear windows if you like out of the MMI. The sunroof option IS present in the MMI, and what it does is tilt the roof and open the cloth sun shield up a little less than 1/4 of the way).

*Disabling rear window wipe on reverse (a must have come winter time!)

I have also, through the Hidden MMI menu:

*Enabled the Interior Ambiance Lighting in the MMI menu.

*Attempted to change the MMI Splash Screen in the hidden menu with no luck, but other sites have covered this problem ad nauseam, so I'll go with those for explanation of the problem. Some say it shows up later after the car sits for a while. We'll see.
================================================== ========

Okay, so I have one other thing I want to do (no, it's not the winking LED either, I actually kind of like that feature)!

Video-in-Motion (VIM)
-------------------------
I have gone through website after website trying to figure out how to get the VIM log-in code. All unsuccessfully. Here is the main link I found explaining it (which it's still confusing to me).

http://audienthusiasts.com/Articles_VIM.html

Here is an excerpt from that page:

For MMI 3G go to:
[5F - Information Electr.]

For the purpose of this sample we will use a made up serial number of : 331CE098765432

The digit order shows what order the number of the serial number will be put in for the security code. i.e. 1 is the first digit 3 would be the 3rd digit of the security code. There are 2 possible codes which is why there are 2 separate combinations shown

Login code #1
Digit order: XXXXX1xxx35X24

Login code #2 (alternative code)
Digit order: XXXXX1xxx234X5

Code #1 = 03625
331CE098765432
XXXXX1xxx35X24

Code #2 =06542
331CE098765432
XXXXX1xxx234X5

Simply take the security code you retrieved and substitute it for the generated code in the instructions below.
---
So I get my Serial number from the VCDS:

XXXD-0B7614951

look at the explanations of how to get the codes out of that and I come up with:

Code #1:

Code #2:

I think these are right, but it is crazy confusing to me the way they wrote it up on that site. Am I wrong on these codes? I tried both of them and neither work. If I can get the right code to work, I shouldn't have a problem enabling the VIM. Any help here would be much, much appreciated.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I need to fish around a little more with the Ross-Tech software, but I would also like to do 3 additional things if the VCDS will do it:

1) Turn off the Chime that dings whenever the passenger gets out of the seat and the passenger airbag turns off. (Wow this is annoying)

2) Set the front fog lights to turn on automatically when the headlights do (when set on auto) or really anytime the headlights are ON.

3) See if there is a way to set the "iNAV" button to work on the flat-bottom steering wheel. That function currently works like it did on the old wheel by just pushing in the roller wheel. The actual "iNAV" button does nothing. I'm sure this can be changed in the VCDS somewhere. It's really not that big of a deal, but something that would be nice to make right.

If anyone has thought on these they would be welcomed as well. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Found this site which is really helpful for VCDS.

It'sin German, but Google will translate for us thank goodness.

http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/audi-q5-8r.php
Old 08-12-2012, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Thunder,

I'm sorry that I can't help you because I haven't yet purchased VCDS interface and software. I did see something that you mentioned you had changed that really intriged me. Can you please explain how this works being that our fogs are not active bending as the hightlights are in the prestige model....

*Set fog-lights to track corners when turning steering wheel (major difference, it is really nice driving a twisty-turning road now at night)

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Download the software from the link on the audi enthusiast page (VMI Instruction page)

The codes work and it's easy from there. If you have any issues send me a PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes do tell us more on this feature....
Old 08-12-2012, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have no idea if our cars will do this or not. It seemed to really light up my road the other night when I had the fogs on, especially in the corners. Maybe it was a placebo effect where I knew I changed the code and all of a sudden I'm seeing better on the road.

So I did a little more research on it, and it appears that it is a code that when in place, and when you have your fog lights set in the OFF position, that when you turn your steering wheel to the right or left around a turn, that the corresponding single fog comes on to light that corner. I believe there may be a speed limit (mentioned in some forums on the matter) that it works until you get over that limit.

I like running with my fogs on anyway, so that should override this code. I'll need to go out and check to see if this is what mine are doing when they are set to off, but here is a video that explains it better...

Old 08-12-2012, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Anyone have any thoughts on this mod?

http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/au...obahnlicht.php

Is this not something that our Q's do already??

Seems like a good safety feature that the headlamps focus the beam and shine farther down the road once you go over a certain speed (68 mph). Thoughts about performing this mod??

----
Motorway mode utilizes the large amount of light and optimized pages and apron lighting of the xenon plus pig launcher. Using sensors, an automotive electronics is constantly analyzing the speed of the vehicle. After a short time above 110 km / h, the system consists of a car ride and automatically switches from low-beam mode in motorway light mode. Through a special position of the diaphragm in the xenon plus headlights now additional light is focused by an aluminum reflector and thrown far from the vehicle without dazzling other road users. Here, the visibility is more than doubled: from 70m to 150m in low beam mode, motorway light mode. This increase in visibility means at a speed of 130 km / h, a gain of 2 seconds to react to objects in front of the vehicle. Motorway mode increases the driving safety significantly.

-----
Old 08-12-2012, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I make this mod and work on my Q5

Did you tried VIM-code generator
http://www.motor-talk.de/blogs/scott...-t2617595.html
http://trick77.com/wp-content/upload...IMGenSetup.msi
http://trick77.com/2009/07/18/enable...s-vag-com-mmi/

Serial number: XXXD-0B7614951
Code #1: 05114 NOT 05614
Attached Images  

Last edited by spijun; 08-12-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the generator. Late last night I saw that I messed up that first code. Going to try it later, as well as making that headlight motorway mod.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VCDS (VAG-COM): a couple of questions