Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

VCDS (VAG-COM): a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VIM was easy but I couldn't figure out ADS. My Q is a 2011 2.0t S-Line, the only option was enable drive select, and then for ADS options it was only Magnetic Ride Suspension or something as an option. Nothing like the tutorial showed.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BirdmanQ5
VIM was easy but I couldn't figure out ADS. My Q is a 2011 2.0t S-Line, the only option was enable drive select, and then for ADS options it was only Magnetic Ride Suspension or something as an option. Nothing like the tutorial showed.
Birdman,

The couple of the screens looked a bit different too for me, but all the checkboxes that needed to be checked were there. I even checked the one on Byte 17 that didn't have a pic with it. The only one I didn't was the one under that for the ADS quick buttons, which we don't need if you have MMI 3G/NAV.

Try again maybe and go through it slowly. I thought I was missing stuff too, but all the boxes were there to click.

Really the only useful thing is the steering tho. The gear box thing just makes your Drive into a Sport. Even changes it on the display. I'm assuming all our Q's have the "S" gear. If not, then that might help. I can only see that it does that. Maybe I'm wrong tho.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

There are instructions and here is in German but with google translator all clear

http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/au...riveselect.php

OR

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-setting/page3

GOOGLE TRANSLATE FROM GERMAN:
Hidden in the menu function 'Charisma' activate (Charisma codename for the Audi Drive Select)
(see corresponding activation Hidden menu entry)

MMI 2G: mask => Diag Settings menu, Car Menus, charisma and then select the Accept changes

Diag menu Settings -> APK 0x01, 0x0B, 0x0C -> Car menu screen -> Carisma (hook)
and then at the very bottom "Accept changes"

MMI 3G: Click => menu item "Car", then click on "cardevicelist" on "charisma" and. One level up, then "carmenuoperation" button to "Charisma" from 0 to 1. MMI reset (press and hold the function key -1 - (Setup), the confirmation button -2 - and the navigation button -3 - simultaneously . MMI shuts down and then restarts. Takes about 60 seconds)

Adaptation of the coding in the electrical system control unit
STG 09 (electrical system) to select
STG Long Coding -> Function 07
Byte 7 Bit, 5, from 0 to 1
Byte 8, bit 1, from 0 to 1 for steering
byte 8, bit 4, from 0 to 1 for steering (if bit 1 does not work)
Byte 8, bit 2, from 0 to 1 for motor
byte 8, bit 0, from 0 to 1 for engine (if bit 2 is not working)
8-bit byte, 3, from 0 to 1 for damper control
Byte 17 bit, 7, from 0 to 1

STG 09 (electrical system) to select
STG adjustment -> function 10
Security Acces Code 20113
Channels 63,64,65,66
Standard here is 2 (Auto)) -> values ​​eg. Change 3 (see above have ego for me (dynamic)
1 = Comfort 2 = Auto (default) 3 = Dynamic 4 = Individual
or
Compiled Drive Select VAG-COM codes
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-VAG-COM-codes

Last edited by spijun; 08-19-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Well, I got the VIM working easily. The first code worked perfectly.

I also added the motorway mod to adjust the headlamp low-beams on the interstate to show more of the road ahead of you. It stated in the code that the threshold was 90 mph however, not the (110kmh/68mph) that that other link showed. That will certainly be a very nice feature if you drive at higher speeds on the interstate at night, especially the way deer are around here.

I looked through lots of the menus on the long coding helper and decided to mix up a few things as well. I ended up disabling the wink, as it does look better. I also added the side markers (front & rear), rear markers, and fogs as running lights, in addition to the LEDs. These work when you keep the switch on auto. It's nice as well, because I was afraid that having the fogs on would automatically keep the NAV screen in the darker night-time mode, but when they are on with the auto setting that doesn't happen. (if you press the button to turn them on, it does). Now the map will just go dark when the headlamps kick on.

It looks and works great! I'm loving the VAG-COM (VCDS). I'd encourage anyone on the fence about getting one to pull the trigger, as it is well worth it.

Anyone have the VAG-COM (VCDS) Cable in the NYC area? Would love to check out the Mods people are adding...would be willing to pay to use it. PM me if you are interested
Old 01-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Thunder and others...

I've been interested in the VagCom mod that makes the brake lights flash under emergency braking conditions.

It can be found here (and other places):
http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagComEXLight.html

There is one video on YouTube that shows this working, but I can't find it right now.

I'd be interested in your results if anyone tries this.

It seems much safer, but probably isn't allowed in the US due to some arcane regulation.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Cobalt Rain
Hi Thunder and others...

I've been interested in the VagCom mod that makes the brake lights flash under emergency braking conditions.

It can be found here (and other places):
http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagComEXLight.html

There is one video on YouTube that shows this working, but I can't find it right now.

I'd be interested in your results if anyone tries this.

It seems much safer, but probably isn't allowed in the US due to some arcane regulation.
I see on the VagCom site that only Q5 models up to 2009 are listed. I assume the cable/adapter and software for MY 2009 also works for MY 2013. Is the correct?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 123Audi4me
I see on the VagCom site that only Q5 models up to 2009 are listed. I assume the cable/adapter and software for MY 2009 also works for MY 2013. Is the correct?
It should. I think the port is pretty standard on all VAG cars, if not all cars? ODB-II or something?
Old 01-21-2013, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It should. I think the port is pretty standard on all VAG cars, if not all cars? ODB-II or something?
Yep, it's a standard OBD II port. VCDS will work on any VW/Audi (that exists, anyway, there's the possibility that Audi could change interfaces/buses, but that's the only time it won't be compatible). The addresses and values used could differ, but for the Q5 I would expect them all to be the same until at least the ~2016 next-gen version.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
Yep, it's a standard OBD II port. VCDS will work on any VW/Audi (that exists, anyway, there's the possibility that Audi could change interfaces/buses, but that's the only time it won't be compatible). The addresses and values used could differ, but for the Q5 I would expect them all to be the same until at least the ~2016 next-gen version.
Where are all the modifications that can be made described? Does the software describe how to make the modifications or must the Audi Q5 repair manual be purchased?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 123Audi4me
Where are all the modifications that can be made described? Does the software describe how to make the modifications or must the Audi Q5 repair manual be purchased?
The coding is very easy once you get into it. You can find all the "mods" on this site or others. Ross-Tech's site has some info as well. I suspect a repair manual won't have this information at all.