Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

VW admits cheating on 3.0 V6 TDI diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Yes, a non-event for me except I'll probably collect some coin from Audi yet continue to enjoy the car. My guess is $3-5k and I'll be okay with that.

Not sure what will happen to future sales of tunes by APR, but suspect the sales will continue unless restricted at the state level. But for me, it's already bought.

Will post the dyno results when I have them.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckardk
^ Yes, a non-event for me except I'll probably collect some coin from Audi yet continue to enjoy the car. My guess is $3-5k and I'll be okay with that.

Not sure what will happen to future sales of tunes by APR, but suspect the sales will continue unless restricted at the state level. But for me, it's already bought.

Will post the dyno results when I have them.
I talked to my dealer today in canada and they didn't know about this?
Old 11-24-2015, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

^ Know about what?
Old 11-24-2015, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Deckardk
^ Know about what?
Ummm....to th first post in this thread?
Old 11-24-2015, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

^ Um... Which part?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default CA smog check

My main concern is that mr registration renewal is quickly approaching as a 2014 TDI and will likely need a smog check as I believe it is ever 2 years in CA. Will it pass? Likely not.. So now what?

I am disappointed and frustrated with the lack of information and concern about paying more for diesel Q5 based on torque, HP, gas mileage. As others stated I'm assuming most of us bought the TDI based on what we understand we were getting and if it changes with lower power or lower mileage this isn't what we were "sold or told" and thus clearly we were lied to and thus reasonable compensation to us would be expected by me.

I love the TDI but am concerned about not getting what I paid for or was told etc...
Old 11-25-2015, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by imdakine1
My main concern is that mr registration renewal is quickly approaching as a 2014 TDI and will likely need a smog check as I believe it is ever 2 years in CA. Will it pass? Likely not.. So now what?
The engines have been passing emissions inspections since 2009 which was the point of the illicit VAG software. Had these engines not passed, the fiasco would have been discovered years ago. Even though ithe cat is out of the bag, until there's a fix available and owners and dealers have had a reasonable time frame to implement it, no state agency or the EPA will deprive an owner from registering and driving their car. After all, it's not the owner's fault and if they did try to beach the cars, the hue and cry would be deafening.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by imdakine1

I am disappointed and frustrated with the lack of information and concern about paying more for diesel Q5 based on torque, HP, gas mileage. As others stated I'm assuming most of us bought the TDI based on what we understand we were getting and if it changes with lower power or lower mileage this isn't what we were "sold or told" and thus clearly we were lied to and thus reasonable compensation to us would be expected by me.

I love the TDI but am concerned about not getting what I paid for or was told etc...
Yes, ^ was correct - no worries.

I have had my diesel BMWs pass without an actual emissions check.

In CA, the test stations just do a visual inspection for any modifications and connect your car to the OBD port for downloading any CEL.
They do not connect a tailpipe sniffer to your diesel nor do they put it on a RPM tread mill tester.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

CA also has no actual smog check now for the first six years. And yes, now its normally just a read the port and visual after that. AWD's were also exempt from the treadmill stuff too back when they did that. They have effectively just turned it into a revenue scheme for six years, supposedly relying on the statistically low rate of failures of emissions systems and manufacturer compliance. Read your DMV renewal at year 2 and year 4 and you find some in lieu compliance fee verbiage and a charge. A tax for zero value by another name.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

CARB has issued an order requiring a recall plan for all V6 3.0 diesels within 45 days. This covers model years 2009 to 2016.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/2015_1...nal_signed.pdf

Quick Reply: VW admits cheating on 3.0 V6 TDI diesel