Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

VW Diesel Emissions News -- Breyer Sets March 24 Deadline

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
It also challenged the court’s jurisdiction over Volkswagen,"

Very clever of them, after all these delays and discussions, to decide that it doesn't matter what they've done, they are immune from US federal prosecution. That could be good for owners, as it might give the courts good reason to nail VWG's hide to the wall and levy maximum penalties on all charges. Not so good for the stockholders, if it pushes VWG into bankruptcy. But after this slap in the face and total breach of good faith discussions, I don't think the courts will care.
I think it's a pretty bogus legal argument that should be quickly rejected on clear precedent. They are probably just making it because they think it's colorable and to preserve the point. I haven't seen the brief, but my guess is they're claiming that the corporate parent VAG doesn't operate in the US or have contacts in the US, only their north american subsidiary. If they were to win on that argument, it might mean their north american sub goes bankrupt and can't pay the fines or liability.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Technically, a competent lawyer will first examine everything in a lawsuit and try to get it thrown out if there is anything wrong with the suit, i.e. improper jurisdiction or anything procedural. That's just basic competency, like an accountant checking for math errors even if they haven't audited each line item.

But to first do so at this point in things...and weighing the risks of where else they may force the issue...I can only see it as an (arguably correct) attempt to further delay the inevitable. While further antagonizing everyone else involved. Makes me think about keeping a closer eye on resale prices and perhaps bailing out way before I had intended to change cars, simply because "Audi" and "VW" may join Yugo and Fiat on the US market if this continues. (And those Fiats were often fun cars.(G)
Old 05-31-2016, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Note to Justice Dept: Remember VW, Audi and Porsche's not-so-secret autonomous car and software development facilities in Palo Alto CA and right here in the bona fide USA. Never mind maybe some of the same engineering team could have been previously employed writing TDI code by the way--as in, drivetrain related.

Perhaps trying to stash the patents in some low tax jurisdiction, but nonetheless another "asset," point of contact and operational group here in USA. Likely not under VOA or AoA corporate structure either. Just business. Seizure of the Audi Delphi autonomous Q5 in due course would be an interesting photo op too. Yep, the geniuses in legal and marketing no doubt have thought all this through...

More seriously, all this is beside the fact most of their operating profit is coming from Porsche and Audi. Read the latest quarterly report. And those brands are probably where most of the 3.0TDI liabilities are, the ones they don't even have a plan for yet. Keep buying the corporate liability containment advice. Makes for expensive legal memos even if the value of the toilet paper is dubious.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-31-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are not we and we are not they and here we are not together.
See how they run like pigs from a gun, see how they fly, they're crying.

Expert textpert choking smokers
Don't you think the joker laughs at you?

goo goo g'joob
Old 05-31-2016, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like you use LSD's for headlights...
Old 05-31-2016, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just a little Beatles flashback to parody VAG's tangled web they weave.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Redd;24818756]Technically, a competent lawyer will first examine everything in a lawsuit and try to get it thrown out if there is anything wrong with the suit, i.e. improper jurisdiction or anything procedural. That's just basic competency, like an accountant checking for math errors even if they haven't audited each line item.

But to first do so at this point in things...and weighing the risks of where else they may force the issue...I can only see it as an (arguably correct) attempt to further delay the inevitable. While further antagonizing everyone else involved. Makes me think about keeping a closer eye on resale prices and perhaps bailing out way before I had intended to change cars, simply because "Audi" and "VW" may join Yugo and Fiat on the US market if this continues. (And those Fiats were often fun cars.(G)[/QUOTE
Yup, my 1974 Fiat 124 Spider was a blast! Poked around a new Cadillac XT5 this afternoon. Nice CUV's. Elegant, tech-laden, some nice touches like the seats fold down for a flat cargo floor, rear seats can slide forward and backward, etc. I like this vehicle far better than a new Lexus RX350, which it targets.
I'm watching the resale values....and hope we have something definitive in June from Judge Breyer.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

My guess VAG could buy all the affected cars back sell them in China and make a tidy profit. Air quality is not the highest priority there.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi, I'd like for you to just give me an 18, you cover my taxes and registration and 10k and we call it even
Old 06-01-2016, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Yup, my 1974 Fiat 124 Spider was a blast!
I had a 72 124 Spider ... my very first car and indeed it was a blast.

Quick Reply: VW Diesel Emissions News -- Breyer Sets March 24 Deadline