Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

VW Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VW Thoughts

My wife is looking to replace her '06 MINI Cooper S with a small family car. I don't know of good forums for VW's yet so I thought I would ask opinions here.

Does anyone have any insight into Jetta's? I know they changed in the last few years. Are there models I should avoid? Comparable alternatives (Civic, Corolla)? Looking to stay under $21,000.

We need four doors for a reason. Got to fit child seat soon. Thoughts or issues with backseat space?

Any recommended VW forums?

Thanks.

PS Buy my MINI
Old 05-27-2014, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I passed on a Jetta for a family car - they have removed the rear a/c vent for the back seats.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a VW GTI and like it. I have a toddler and the car seat fits fine. Check out the 4dr VW Golf they even have a TDI version.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Some VW dealerships have the ability to transform ownership into the ultimate nightmare. They can't service/repair what they sell.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's funny this thread came up because I can not only address this but the concern that some people on this board have re: future Q5 production in Mexico. Three days ago, I bought a 2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen with Sunroof, Nav and best of all--a 6-speed manual. This was a very difficult car to find and so far it appears to be well worth the effort. These cars are built in VW's Pueblo Mexico facility. Unlike the Jetta Sedans, the Sportwagen retains the more sophisticated multi-link rear suspension, it handles very well and as you would expect gets very good fuel economy (EPA rated at 30/42 but know to do well above those numbers). It also retains the vents for the back seats and has plenty of leg and headroom. For those not familiar with this car, the sunroof is 12.7 sf and works identically to the sunroof in the Q5. In the 3 days I've had it (nearly 900 miles) I have found no rattles, no strange gaps in the panels and everything works perfectly. The car drives like a good German car ought to drive and so far I couldn't be more pleased with the quality of the vehicle.

Last edited by mhughett; 05-27-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:11 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the service at VW and Audi dealers probably varies in quality more than most. A recent experience I had with a VW dealer was very positive - after a winter of pothole dodging (and unfortunately hitting a few as well) the Q wandered a bit on the highway. As the Audi service couldn't take me for a week I called the VW service next door and they got me in the next day. The alignment tech took some time to talk to me after the service was done and it was clear from his briefing, and more importantly how well the car drove after, that this guy was a wizard. I've had mixed service results at the Audi dealership which was why I did not hesitate to try the VW service.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zeus48
Google is your friend, my friend.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

VWvortex.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are there models I should avoid? Comparable alternatives (Civic, Corolla)?
Friends don't let friends drive Hondas
Old 05-28-2014, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SQive
Friends don't let friends drive Hondas
Of the Japanese makes, Honda seems the most "VAG-like" these days. Not that any really do it for me, but if you need a Japanese appliance vehicle, you can do much worse than a Honda as they don't seem completely devoid of a soul unlike most.

Quick Reply: VW Thoughts