Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

VW: we are done with diesel push in the US

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VW: we are done with diesel push in the US

Bummer

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...-u-s-exec-says
Old 07-20-2016, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting . . . seems like this results from two challenges. First is overcoming the mess they've created with the cheat software, and the difficulty that will make for marketing. Second is that US regulations, already stricter than europe for diesels, will become even more strict in 2019. That's a hurdle for every company, including VAG.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

BMW now running into EPA issues w/ 2017's too. Not just the litigation type rumors/conjectures, but hard stop pending certification. BMW Delaying Launch of 2017 U.S. Diesels | TheDetroitBureau.com

Editorially, BMW press hack seems to be going down the VW/Audi path. PR speak quote from article: "“In light of recent events, agencies are taking longer to certify diesel models for the US,” BMW spokesperson Hector Arellano-Belloc told website AutoGuide, “but there has been no indication that BMW’s diesel models do not meet all requisite emission standards or that there is a defeat device in the vehicle.” Translation, catch me if you can. He says no "indication" there is an issue, but conveniently does't say in plain English theirs aren't rigged either.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-20-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not a diesel owner myself, and not quite sure I ever would be, but this is really a shame

The 3.0 TDI is a shining example, IMO, of diesel potential for passenger vehicles. Just outright dissapointing...
Old 07-20-2016, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's an amazing power plant for this type of vehicle. We have owned 3 in a row.

Hybrid is the only comparison on fuel economy. Anyone know what happens if you lose and e-motor at 9000 feet a mile and a half from a maintained road?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
It's an amazing power plant for this type of vehicle. We have owned 3 in a row.

Hybrid is the only comparison on fuel economy. Anyone know what happens if you lose and e-motor at 9000 feet a mile and a half from a maintained road?
I think if you lose an e motor, basically you are driving a 2.0T. Would have to be (and stay) running though when it craps out to avoid being stranded, since e motor is the starter too. The relevant question is more likely what if you lose the switching module. Not good, since it does interlink both gas and electric control and car goes down completely. But likewise not good if you lose ECU, HPFP, crank sensor, starter, ring gear or various other things in a variety of configurations.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-20-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, does will this create a demand for those VW diesels that are here, or will it drive their value down?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Jason
Old 07-21-2016, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JasonJ
So, does will this create a demand for those VW diesels that are here, or will it drive their value down?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Jason

It will depend if the so called "fix" was done or not. I think pretty much anyone would agree that any "fix", if it happens at all, will certainly decrease performance in some way which will possibly drive the value down. If on the other hand no fix is done then my guess would be diesels will actually go up in value. Good old supply and demand will kick in. Time will tell. Stay tuned.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's hope so, black book prices here in Canada have dropped 8000 bucks to 42000 in the space of 10 days!
Old 07-21-2016, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Transporter208
It will depend if the so called "fix" was done or not. I think pretty much anyone would agree that any "fix", if it happens at all, will certainly decrease performance in some way which will possibly drive the value down. If on the other hand no fix is done then my guess would be diesels will actually go up in value. Good old supply and demand will kick in. Time will tell. Stay tuned.
I owned a 2015 Q5 TDI for almost a year before it was totaled by a reckless driver. Never owned a diesel before but quickly became a big fan of the torque, mileage, range and effortless power delivery. I thought any new car (other than sports cars) I would buy would likely be a diesel. I believed that fixes for current cars would likely impact performance and reliability but that, in time "clean" diesels could be engineered and I would be in the market again. Over time, I have read that NOX emissions are a big problem for all manufacturers of diesels, and barring a technological breakthrough, diesels will likely be phased out in the U.S. There will likely be a market for unfixed diesels, but for people like me who turn over cars every 3-4 years, I doubt that diesels will again be an option. For skilled do it yourselfers, and professional mechanics diesels could be very attractive at a price. Similar to the market for high end 12 cylinder Merc's and BMW's which can be prohibitively expensive to maintain and repair for most people. If I still owned the TDI I would accept a reasonable buy back offer and regretfully move on.

Quick Reply: VW: we are done with diesel push in the US