Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 MMI Navigation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 MMI Navigation Questions

OK so I've had a few days with my new 14 Q5 and have a few questions on the navigation .. So far the navigation has been pretty disappointing I must say - my prior 2003 Honda Accord had factory navigation that somehow seems much better and more functional than this (and it even had a touchscreen and better voice command). That's over 10 years ago. Not to mention we now have <$200 GPS units that seemingly have more functionality - I'm at a loss here, but hoping perhaps I've overlooked some functionality.

1) Is there an ability to select certain roads on a route to avoid? I see the option to avoid a certain amount of roadway that you are currently on, but can't find out how to avoid a future road on a route.

2) Why do the 3 route choices only *sometimes* come up, even on the same routes? I do like the 3 route choice feature (and yes, it is enabled in the settings). But there are times that it simply doesn't give you the 3 choices - and the next day you can have the exact same route and starting/ending destination, and it will give you 3 choices.

3) Why can you manually enter in a name of a point of interest, but the option is not available in the same voice command menu (Find...) ? Does voice command only recognize certain words? (I hope not - again this would be disappointing when a 2003 Accord can recognize any name you throw at it)

4) Am I missing an easy shortcut to "Go Home" without having to navigate through multiple screens?

5) Is there an easy way, short of going through and choosing the same destination to navigate to, to have the GPS unit recalculate the current route? For example - a few times the navigation has chosen a route that is 10-15 minutes longer than the best route .. for what reason I don't know .. Is there a shortcut to recalculate the current route? Usually when I'm on the road for a few minutes, and I go through and tell it to go to the same destination again, it will pick the quicker route - but for some reason a lot of times it doesn't choose the best route the first time (and of course refer back to #2 - this happens when it doesn't give the 3 route choice).

6) Does traffic re-route usually take a while? I've had a traffic re-route once so far, and it was about 10 minutes into the trip. It noticed the heavy traffic right away, but took 10 minutes before it automatically switched to a new route.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default welcome to my world...Audi GPS is really poor

Originally Posted by Eryeal
OK so I've had a few days with my new 14 Q5 and have a few questions on the navigation .. So far the navigation has been pretty disappointing I must say - my prior 2003 Honda Accord had factory navigation that somehow seems much better and more functional than this (and it even had a touchscreen and better voice command). That's over 10 years ago. Not to mention we now have <$200 GPS units that seemingly have more functionality - I'm at a loss here, but hoping perhaps I've overlooked some functionality.

1) Is there an ability to select certain roads on a route to avoid? I see the option to avoid a certain amount of roadway that you are currently on, but can't find out how to avoid a future road on a route.

2) Why do the 3 route choices only *sometimes* come up, even on the same routes? I do like the 3 route choice feature (and yes, it is enabled in the settings). But there are times that it simply doesn't give you the 3 choices - and the next day you can have the exact same route and starting/ending destination, and it will give you 3 choices.

3) Why can you manually enter in a name of a point of interest, but the option is not available in the same voice command menu (Find...) ? Does voice command only recognize certain words? (I hope not - again this would be disappointing when a 2003 Accord can recognize any name you throw at it)

4) Am I missing an easy shortcut to "Go Home" without having to navigate through multiple screens?

5) Is there an easy way, short of going through and choosing the same destination to navigate to, to have the GPS unit recalculate the current route? For example - a few times the navigation has chosen a route that is 10-15 minutes longer than the best route .. for what reason I don't know .. Is there a shortcut to recalculate the current route? Usually when I'm on the road for a few minutes, and I go through and tell it to go to the same destination again, it will pick the quicker route - but for some reason a lot of times it doesn't choose the best route the first time (and of course refer back to #2 - this happens when it doesn't give the 3 route choice).

6) Does traffic re-route usually take a while? I've had a traffic re-route once so far, and it was about 10 minutes into the trip. It noticed the heavy traffic right away, but took 10 minutes before it automatically switched to a new route.
The only good thing it looks good but the rest is like a first generation of GPS ....yes it doesn't give you the fastest route I don't know why it is not giving you any options..... also it talks to much for nothing, too many step to set a destination, stupid software.....compare to my Garmin

if it was possible to say Hotel Sheraton Ottawa.....no you need to go in special destination, than hotel, than find it in the list....but first you need to tell the GPS that you are looking in Ottawa....you are Lucky if it is reconizing your voice without error, so you don't have to cancel and start all over

for $3300.....this is a piece of crap.....on top of that the latest revision was made in 2012 ....see my comments in Don't waste your money and don't buy the GPS

After an official complaint to my Dealership on South shore of Montréal and Audi Canada, with a terrible review on a questionnaire that I received from Audi after filling my complaint

no response with a solution such as Sir, when an update will be available, we will update your GPS for free...(this is $500 to $700 for us but for them it is probably 199$).....we apologize for the inconvenient but we will fix it so easy to keep a Customer happy......but their answer was ....you will have to pay for the update....assh.....

Guys.....if you are looking at buying a GPS please ask your salesmen when the last revision was made and if it is up to date with all the new road construction in your neighborhood. Put it on your contract that you are buying it only if they provided you with an update for free....if they don't want it then....get something in return....negociation or stay away and save $3300

I like my Q5 TDI technic but the Audi Customer service has no respect after you took delivery of the car....
Old 05-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You guy are right and the GPS is not up to par with a Garmin GPS but from what I know it is comparable to other GPS in other makes. I didn't like paying the $$$ for the GPS but I really bought package for the other functions, backup camera, etc. in Canada we do not get the benefit of TMC for GPS, this sucks!
Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

- Not really but a work around is to add one or more "Stopovers" to your route on roads you want to use as alternatives.

- I've noticed this occasionally as well. Not sure why it happens but it's rare on mine.

- There is a certain syntax and order that must be used. Best to read the manual and memorize the important ones. You can also say "help" and she will read back the voice command options. Also, be sure you've done the voice training in settings. There are some with more than one syntax like "I'm hungry" to see nearby restaurants.

- For POIs, I mostly use the Audi Connect Google Online Destinations: "online destinations, Best Buy" (then optionally) "Dedham, Massachusetts". Works great. Or, if looking for an address: "Enter destination" and follow the voice prompts to continue. Or do it all in one shot: "Enter destination, city, state, street, house number" with slight pauses in between. Reply yes when she asks if you want to start route guidance.
Or "show on map" if you want to see its location.

- Yes. You designate your home address in the directory one time and then say "navigate to home address".

- Audi uses the NavTeq map database and is subject to the same peculiarities as found in PNDs that also use their data (i.e. Garmin). I've experienced a few of these myself but it's not too often.

- On the few occasions I've used the auto traffic rerouting, it didn't take that long. Perhaps the traffic incidence was quite a ways from your current location and it didn't need to reroute just yet?

I recommend you dig deeper into the MMI manual. There's a lot of neat stuff you can do, especially with voice command. I almost exclusively use voice commands for my nav entries, map settings etc (as well as phone, music and radio). There are over 200 voice commands that can be used.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pleased with the voice recognition in the Q5. It works most every time for me. I came from a 2010 Lexus with a supposedly improved voice recognition vs. the previous gen and no comparison between the two.

+1 on spending some time with the MMI manual.

Last edited by Q5 Bob; 05-21-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

There is a voice recognition training module built into MMI. If you use that it will understand you a lot better.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAMOHT
There is a voice recognition training module built into MMI. If you use that it will understand you a lot better.
Yes there is.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the informative responses folks .. I did read through the MMI manual, but will go back through it, as well as look at the training module. Very helpful comments, thanks.