Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What is APR stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riceboy22
LOL yup I hear you. When I had my B5 S4, I just had a second ECU which was a a whole lot easier.

You're right that the automatic TD1 flag is out of the SA's hands now and can happen as soon as they hook up your car for diagnostics. If you're properly flashed back to stock though, based on how it works currently, you won't get flagged TD1 in the system. That's always subject to change, but I'd imagine VAG has bigger fish to fry right now. Where a "mod-friendly" dealer does help is not getting hooked up in the first place (only really needs to happen for ECU-based diagnostics and warranty repairs) and not having them flag you for modifications manually (even things like an intake can be notated by them if they want).
Exactly...on my A3, was nice since the local APR dealer was right there in their service area...that was very "friendly"...I actually got Audi to pay for an engine rebuild on my '07 A3 which had the APR SW and exhaust...cuz they backed me in telling AoA it was "well maintained" and the timing chain shouldn't have frapped at 38k miles...
Old 04-28-2016, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dino757
One of the coolest things about the APR tune is the way it holds accelerator blip downshifts in the sport mode, for cornering, braking, or spirited accelerating from any rpm. It's really a blast to play with. At any speed it will just hold at 4k rpms, right in the sweet spot, and from there it just screams. Depending on how far you blip the pedal it will drop 2 or 3 gears and just hang there. It's especially nice when your rolling at speed. Say what you will NorthValley, I've had some pretty fast cars, but this one gives more grins and goosebumps than a 6spd. LS2 or my buddy's '03 911. It can be very abrupt, when that's what you're looking for.
I'm not against anyone tuning their car! That's a personal choice. All I am saying is if someone comes on here asking "what APR Stage 1 means" then I would suggest they don't do it unless they can afford any possible "consequence". Sure, if money is no object tune away, go nuts, but some people do not understand possible implications. Just trying to give balanced advice! Cheers!
Old 04-28-2016, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthValley
I'm not against anyone tuning their car! That's a personal choice. All I am saying is if someone comes on here asking "what APR Stage 1 means" then I would suggest they don't do it unless they can afford any possible "consequence". Sure, if money is no object tune away, go nuts, but some people do not understand possible implications. Just trying to give balanced advice! Cheers!
That seems like a reasonable conclusion to draw LOL. I'd actually add that if you don't have at least a 101 understanding of how things like ignition timing, knock, boost and bypass, etc. are impacted by your tune, you probably shouldn't be doing it. I would never tune without doing some logging afterwards to see how the car is running.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought a 2013 Q5 3.0T S Line two weeks ago and last Friday, I got the APR Stage 2 with APR Carbonio air intake with matching down pipe, APR pully upgrade, and KW HAS installed. I love driving my car now. It has so much more power and fun to drive. I can step on the gas and it just accelerate so effortlessly. It wasn't a cheap upgrade but it was well worth the money.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry to bump an old thread. I have 2014 for about 18 month. I'm an admitted flash tune addicted. The other tunes (Porsche, AMG, BMW) are octain specific. Being in Cali with 91 craptain, this becomes essential. Does APR offer a 91 tune or do they rely on the factory knock/ping software to retard too much advance.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DuaneSQ5
Sorry to bump an old thread. I have 2014 for about 18 month. I'm an admitted flash tune addicted. The other tunes (Porsche, AMG, BMW) are octain specific. Being in Cali with 91 craptain, this becomes essential. Does APR offer a 91 tune or do they rely on the factory knock/ping software to retard too much advance.
They offer a 91 specific tune (all the major tuners do). You don't want to rely on it pulling more than a few degrees of timing due to knock detection.