Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

What Tire pressure are you running?

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 1492
 
James P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,215
Default What Tire pressure are you running?

I realize that different size wheels / tires may have different tire pressures, but yesterday I was checking the pressures on my wifes Q5 (cold) which has the 19" wheels (I forget the size, 235/60 maybe ?). Anyway, the B pillar in the driver side door indicates the pressure should be 33 PSI but all the tires were in the 38-39 range which seemed very high to me. I haven't adjusted the pressure yet but wanted to hear what pressure other people were using.

My S4 it typically in the 39-41 range but that is for significantly lower profile tires.
__________________
James P.

Current:
2013 RS5 - Sepang Blue, Alu-Optic, Black Alcantara, Nav, Driver Assist, Sports Exhaust, Rear sun shades
2012 Q5 Ice Silver 2.0T, Premium+, Nav

Previous rides:
2012 S4 Monsoon Gray, Prestige package, S-Tronic, Sports Diff, Ti package, RS6 Steering Wheel, Supercharged badges, 35% Tint, Dipstick!
2007 RS4 - Mugello Blue, Premium package, Ebony interior, Rear air bags, Carbon fiber, Titanium wheels
2000 S4 - Santorin Blue, Silver Alcantara

Last edited by James P.; 04-09-2012 at 08:43 AM.
James P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 184703
 
spijun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sarajevo /BiH
Posts: 2,648
Default

Audi's engineers in collaboration with engineers, tire manufacturers (Michelin, Dunlop. Continental .....) work best on the pressure in the tires.
It should be observed what the factory recommends, because they know best.
Good luck
__________________
Q5 2.0 TFSI,S-tronic,
Milano leather, B&O, 19" 5-arm polished

Excuse me for my English
spijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 28542
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 468
Default

Yet, when I got mine back from the first service, they were inflated to 40. I questioned that and thay stated that is what Audi prescribe. To me 40 rides better than 33.


.
dsackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 233263
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Default

Hi Guys

My Q7 is running on 21 inch rims with 295/35 tyres, my local tyre specialist recommends 35 psi, but the Audi sticker on the filler cap says 44psi front and 49 psi rear, I've emailed Audi and await their reply with interest, i'll post the info when I get an answer.
GeoffPFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 220095
 
D_Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 406
Default

Think it really comes down to personal preference (and tire profiles)... higher pressure will typically yield better fuel economy while lower pressure may improve handling.
D_Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 183289
 
gat821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 606
Default

If I'm not mistaken the pressures on the B pillar are for max load. The manual will show a lower recommended pressure for normal loads. I have the 19" tires as well, and run it at the recommended normal load. If I remember right that's 30 psi.
__________________
2011 Q5 3.2 Premium Plus, Navigation, B&O, Quartz Grey on Black.
2012 A4 Premium Plus, Navigation, B&O, Ice Silver on Black
gat821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
AudiWorld Expert
Account #: 102
 
Reggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Fort Collins Colorado
Posts: 31,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat821 View Post
If I'm not mistaken the pressures on the B pillar are for max load. The manual will show a lower recommended pressure for normal loads. I have the 19" tires as well, and run it at the recommended normal load. If I remember right that's 30 psi.
You are correct sir. I run the normal load +2psi.
__________________
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 225472
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 26
Default

My experience has been that higher pressures will result in better fuel economy, a rougher ride and up to a point better tire wear. That said I run 32 P.S.I. Don't exceed maximum pressure molded into the tire. The recommendation on the pillar is a compromise for best overall performance, ride comfort, handling, etc and generally should be a lower limit.

By the way I just got 30+ MPG both ways on a 300 mile (ea way)trip with my 3.2. Very little wind, 60-70 degree temp and very lightly loaded. biggest factor was probably that I drove the speed limit 60-65. Sure was nice to get home with a half of tank of gas after filling before starting back. My trip computer was telling me I had a range of 600 miles which was probably optimistic.
rick480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 109306
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ireland, Dublin
Posts: 7,334
Default

Q5 and Q7 run very different pressures so not a lot of use comparing. Any pressures previously posted by members on either forum have been recorded in their respective spreadsheets.
The picture built up over years is that most of us run with or close to the recommendations usually after experimenting.

PS anyone can add their own pressures as both spreadsheets are open to edit and are real time (no need to save!)
Jusforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 216044
 
ThunderDent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 1,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
You are correct sir. I run the normal load +2psi.
This is what I do as well.
__________________

2015 Audi []SQ5
SEPANG BLUE -- BLACK/LUNAR SILVER
3.0 TFSI quattro

[Premium+ :: Black Optic :: Nappa Leather/Sport Interior :: Carbon Atlas Inserts :: Tech/Nav :: B&O :: []Supercharged :: 21" Titanium Wheels]
MODS: [ECS Spacers :: KW H.A.S. :: EUROCODE ÜSS Alu Kreuz/Sway Bars]

2015 []SQ5 **Build Thread** *2015-Present*
2011 Custom Q5 **Build Thread** *2011-2015*

GARAGE:
*2012 VW GLI 2.0T/Tornado Red on Black/6-spd DSG/Autobahn Edition/Fender Audio/NAV/Sport Interior/Flat-bottom wheel w/ shift paddles

ThunderDent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 206441
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 122
Default

I'm with many others on this thread, i.e. Recommended pressure + 2 = 35 (19 inch wheels). But almost as important is to check the pressure regularly--at least monthly--because as the seasons come and go, temperatures change and then so does tire pressure.

An aside...I just returned from my office a short time ago and have to say, riding in this Q5 is the best car experience I've ever had (2011 with 7,400 miles after 12 months). I've previously owned Acura, BMW, Volvo, and lots more. This car is all I'd hoped for. No issues--great performance. Still smiling with it.
springsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 AM   #12
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 109574
 
ELEVENS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: great lakes, yoo ess of eh
Posts: 4,384
Default

As many, many posts will corroborate, it is very common for dealers to over-inflate tires. I'm not sure why, perhaps they come that way for shipping reasons and the fail to get checked, or maybe they err on the safe side - I just don't know.

As pointed out above, you can't beat what the factory recommends. Maybe some of you people are smarter and know more that the German engineers, I'm not and don't. If you under-inflate, you risk tire failure from overheating, or more likely, wheel damage and a bubbled sidewall from potholes or railroad tracks. Have you priced a replacement wheel and tire for your vehicle? $1000+. Over-inflate, and your car will ride like a bulldozer and the tires may also wear unevenly. I keep mine at the factory recommendations. You can run whatever you want, just be sure that you've weighed all the factors and risks.
__________________
______________________________
2007 RS4 Daytona Gray Pearl Effect
Silver Nappa Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim
Audi (Euro only) SuperSport Plus Suspension, GIAC software
No sunroof (only 27 made) , no rear airbags, no resonator, no carbon (cleaned 3X!)
12.5 @110mph on the 3rd pass, smog legal on pump gas
Summer: 255-19 Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S
Winter: 225-18 Dunlop WinterSport 4D on 7.5" Italias
2010 Q5 Deep Sea Blue Pearl Effect
Cinnamon Brown Leather / Brushed Aluminum Trim
3.2L []S-Line, B&O, & hitch
carbon cleaned twice :-(
Summer: Continental ExtremeContact DWS on 20" OEM peelers
Winter: Blizzak DM-V1 235-19 on Hartmann TTRS reps
2007 A4 Cab Ibis White/Beige Top
Beige Leather / Birch Trim
2.0T Quattro
Summer: 17" Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Winter: 17" Dunlop WinterSport 4D
ELEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #13
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 1492
 
James P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,215
Default

I think I'll try 35 PSI for now. I have no idea how long the tires have been at 38 PSI but it wouldn't surprise me if the dealer had inflated the tires at the 5000 service a few weeks ago.
__________________
James P.

Current:
2013 RS5 - Sepang Blue, Alu-Optic, Black Alcantara, Nav, Driver Assist, Sports Exhaust, Rear sun shades
2012 Q5 Ice Silver 2.0T, Premium+, Nav

Previous rides:
2012 S4 Monsoon Gray, Prestige package, S-Tronic, Sports Diff, Ti package, RS6 Steering Wheel, Supercharged badges, 35% Tint, Dipstick!
2007 RS4 - Mugello Blue, Premium package, Ebony interior, Rear air bags, Carbon fiber, Titanium wheels
2000 S4 - Santorin Blue, Silver Alcantara
James P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 28542
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELEVENS View Post

SNIP

I keep mine at the factory recommendations. You can run whatever you want, just be sure that you've weighed all the factors and risks.

... and so did many people with Ford Exploders do a few years back and died because of it...

The factory recommendations are a compromise between safety, ride comfort, performance and probably a few others.

I do not know what the ultimate pwer pressure is, but I tend to inflate a bit higher than what the sticker in the door says.


.
dsackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 89002
 
ezveedub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 809
Default *****Tire pressure sticker info*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsackman View Post
... and so did many people with Ford Exploders do a few years back and died because of it...

The factory recommendations are a compromise between safety, ride comfort, performance and probably a few others.

I do not know what the ultimate pwer pressure is, but I tend to inflate a bit higher than what the sticker in the door says.


.
What happened with Ford Explorers and Firestone is EXACTLY why the tire pressure sticker in the door jamb have tire pressures that seem high. It lists for full load capacity, which most people do not run, but since there can only be one set of pressures listed per axle on the sticker mandated by the government, the manufacturer listed the higher pressures for full load based of a safety factor. It would be better to have a tire loaded properly and ride rough, than under-inflated and blow out a tire should the car be full loaded.

For those who actually open their owners manuals and read them, you'll find the half load tire pressures listed in their.

As for dealerships, most techs just use the tire pressures on the door jamb sticker as well. If they go by the half load pressures, some customer's complain they didn't check the air in the tires or under-inflated them based off the door jamb sticker, so they just fill them to the pressures listed on the sticker for full load to stop unnecessary complaints.

The older tire pressure stickers used to list half and full load tire pressures. Audi use to show amount of people and luggage to depict half and full load. The government then mandated a single tire pressure be listed to prevent confusion (guess people can't tell half load from full load info on the stickers)
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #16
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 227620
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick480 View Post
My experience has been that higher pressures will result in better fuel economy, a rougher ride and up to a point better tire wear. That said I run 32 P.S.I. Don't exceed maximum pressure molded into the tire. The recommendation on the pillar is a compromise for best overall performance, ride comfort, handling, etc and generally should be a lower limit.

By the way I just got 30+ MPG both ways on a 300 mile (ea way)trip with my 3.2. Very little wind, 60-70 degree temp and very lightly loaded. biggest factor was probably that I drove the speed limit 60-65. Sure was nice to get home with a half of tank of gas after filling before starting back. My trip computer was telling me I had a range of 600 miles which was probably optimistic.
30+ MPG..! i think it's unbelievable to get 3.2 over 26 MPG unless you were driving downhill all your trip. )
amkmeco90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #17
AudiWorld Expert
Account #: 102
 
Reggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Fort Collins Colorado
Posts: 31,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
What happened with Ford Explorers and Firestone is EXACTLY why the tire pressure sticker in the door jamb have tire pressures that seem high. It lists for full load capacity, which most people do not run, but since there can only be one set of pressures listed per axle on the sticker mandated by the government, the manufacturer listed the higher pressures for full load based of a safety factor. It would be better to have a tire loaded properly and ride rough, than under-inflated and blow out a tire should the car be full loaded.

For those who actually open their owners manuals and read them, you'll find the half load tire pressures listed in their.

As for dealerships, most techs just use the tire pressures on the door jamb sticker as well. If they go by the half load pressures, some customer's complain they didn't check the air in the tires or under-inflated them based off the door jamb sticker, so they just fill them to the pressures listed on the sticker for full load to stop unnecessary complaints.

The older tire pressure stickers used to list half and full load tire pressures. Audi use to show amount of people and luggage to depict half and full load. The government then mandated a single tire pressure be listed to prevent confusion (guess people can't tell half load from full load info on the stickers)
The government knows better than we do - that is the sign of the times
__________________
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:59 AM   #18
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 183289
 
gat821's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amkmeco90 View Post
30+ MPG..! i think it's unbelievable to get 3.2 over 26 MPG unless you were driving downhill all your trip. )
Little wind and 60-65 is probably reason. Start doing 70-80 like most cars on the road and I bet you wouldn't get that kind of mileage. From Columbus to smoky mountain national park, we averaged 26 mpg calculated. Some spirited driving involved I think 30 mpg is definitely possible with the right conditions.
__________________
2011 Q5 3.2 Premium Plus, Navigation, B&O, Quartz Grey on Black.
2012 A4 Premium Plus, Navigation, B&O, Ice Silver on Black
gat821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:28 AM   #19
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 109574
 
ELEVENS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: great lakes, yoo ess of eh
Posts: 4,384
Default

I can get 30+ MPG too. But I have to drive about 50mph on flat terrain.. 25-26MPH is more typical at 70-75mph
__________________
______________________________
2007 RS4 Daytona Gray Pearl Effect
Silver Nappa Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim
Audi (Euro only) SuperSport Plus Suspension, GIAC software
No sunroof (only 27 made) , no rear airbags, no resonator, no carbon (cleaned 3X!)
12.5 @110mph on the 3rd pass, smog legal on pump gas
Summer: 255-19 Michelin Pilot Sport Plus A/S
Winter: 225-18 Dunlop WinterSport 4D on 7.5" Italias
2010 Q5 Deep Sea Blue Pearl Effect
Cinnamon Brown Leather / Brushed Aluminum Trim
3.2L []S-Line, B&O, & hitch
carbon cleaned twice :-(
Summer: Continental ExtremeContact DWS on 20" OEM peelers
Winter: Blizzak DM-V1 235-19 on Hartmann TTRS reps
2007 A4 Cab Ibis White/Beige Top
Beige Leather / Birch Trim
2.0T Quattro
Summer: 17" Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Winter: 17" Dunlop WinterSport 4D
ELEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #20
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 168486
 
HaveBullDogWillTravel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 1,091
Send a message via AIM to HaveBullDogWillTravel
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
What happened with Ford Explorers and Firestone is EXACTLY why the tire pressure sticker in the door jamb have tire pressures that seem high. It lists for full load capacity, which most people do not run, but since there can only be one set of pressures listed per axle on the sticker mandated by the government, the manufacturer listed the higher pressures for full load based of a safety factor. It would be better to have a tire loaded properly and ride rough, than under-inflated and blow out a tire should the car be full loaded.

For those who actually open their owners manuals and read them, you'll find the half load tire pressures listed in their.

As for dealerships, most techs just use the tire pressures on the door jamb sticker as well. If they go by the half load pressures, some customer's complain they didn't check the air in the tires or under-inflated them based off the door jamb sticker, so they just fill them to the pressures listed on the sticker for full load to stop unnecessary complaints.

The older tire pressure stickers used to list half and full load tire pressures. Audi use to show amount of people and luggage to depict half and full load. The government then mandated a single tire pressure be listed to prevent confusion (guess people can't tell half load from full load info on the stickers)
this is "EXACTLY" correct!
__________________
Recover, Rehab, Rehome
English Bulldog Rescue
HaveBullDogWillTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
43, 49, 70, audi, lower, optimum, prescribed, pressure, psi, q5, q7, recommended, ride, tire, tyre


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join AudiWorld

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:16 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community