Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Where are all the (new and CPO) Q5 Hybrids?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are all the (new and CPO) Q5 Hybrids?

I've been searching recently for hybrid Q5's, but I'm finding very few. I've used the Audi CPO searching tool, and moved zip codes (with 500 mile radius) and found very few throughout the country, let alone in the NW portion of the US. I've searched a few dealership sites for new models and have found them lacking too.

We prefer the CPO route, looking for a newer version with more on the mileage side, since we're low mileage drivers and get more out the years of additional warranty than the miles added. But either way, we're not finding much of anything, let alone options in interior/exterior colors, etc...

Is there something behind this lack of hybrid inventory for the Q5?
Old 05-27-2016, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Simple: very few have ever been sold. I own one. One of only a couple of guys who has ever been surfaced with them on the whole board.

Audi is arguably selling them as a loss model in an effort to get up the learning and experience curve. Essentially they were only producing a fixed number at a premium content spec (all Prestige), and not either pricing aggressively nor looking to move more volume. Prior top and technical management were also gung ho on TDI's and basically dissed both hybrids and electrics, particularly around its intro in 2013. The dismissal or "resigned to pursue other opportunities" door catapulted some of that management out of Ingolstadt with the TDI debacle, and now they can't get to plug in hybrid and full electric fast enough. But meantime there is a very small supply of used Q5 Hybrids. Even more so with the Q5 TDI introduced almost right on top of it, which captured almost all of the sales at the perceived performance + economy intersections, plus allowed purchasers to buy at lower specs and price points than the Hybrid.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-27-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That makes sense, so I assume there was a very limited production run. Otherwise the cars would be somewhere - either on dealer lots as overpriced, under-demanded vehicles. Or they were so great that all that sold are staying in the garages of owners. Obviously, there could be a handful of them at non Audi dealerships, however I'd think there was a desire for Audi to have them available for sale, especially if they could meet the CPO criteria.

Your mention of the TDI hits home, as we were looking at the hybrid Q5 last year, I looked at the specs of the TDI vs Hybrid and found that, not only did the TDI have way more power, that the mileage difference was almost negligible. And the TDI was a lower price point. So that was my focus, until things changed... considerably.

So now we're back to looking at the Q5 hybrids. My wife likes that style (as do I), but Lexus has come out with their new body style, which I personally like. With the limited number of our #1 choice available, let alone preferred colors combos, we may have to stretch out what we consider. And since the primary use will be under 10K miles/year, 2/3 city - 1/3 hwy, hybrid makes the most sense. And having a newer car with higher miles, and still CPO, is the most financial benefit for us. We're not in a hurry, but knowing that the pickings are slim is good.

As someone who has one, what's the maintenance been like for you? Do you expect no surprises during the balance of your warranty? As somewhat of a rare bird, I'd think that the costs outside of warranty could be a little frightening.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SEEverist
That makes sense, so I assume there was a very limited production run. Otherwise the cars would be somewhere - either on dealer lots as overpriced, under-demanded vehicles. Or they were so great that all that sold are staying in the garages of owners. Obviously, there could be a handful of them at non Audi dealerships, however I'd think there was a desire for Audi to have them available for sale, especially if they could meet the CPO criteria.

Your mention of the TDI hits home, as we were looking at the hybrid Q5 last year, I looked at the specs of the TDI vs Hybrid and found that, not only did the TDI have way more power, that the mileage difference was almost negligible. And the TDI was a lower price point. So that was my focus, until things changed... considerably.

So now we're back to looking at the Q5 hybrids. My wife likes that style (as do I), but Lexus has come out with their new body style, which I personally like. With the limited number of our #1 choice available, let alone preferred colors combos, we may have to stretch out what we consider. And since the primary use will be under 10K miles/year, 2/3 city - 1/3 hwy, hybrid makes the most sense. And having a newer car with higher miles, and still CPO, is the most financial benefit for us. We're not in a hurry, but knowing that the pickings are slim is good.

As someone who has one, what's the maintenance been like for you? Do you expect no surprises during the balance of your warranty? As somewhat of a rare bird, I'd think that the costs outside of warranty could be a little frightening.

Thanks for your reply.
The maintenance is all covered by AudiCare or the 4/50 warranty. On the Hybrids a variety of the electric drive elements go out to longer warranty points as well. Nonetheless owning one as a CPO makes yet more sense given the added complexity/components. Not sure yet if I want to stay with it without a warranty, even though I do deep DIY on Audi's generally. The Hybrid stuff is low volume, little to no knowledge outside of dealers, and basically large (and pricy) module replacement for failures. But, not clear to me that isn't pretty much the same for other hybrids too, or for a Tesla for that matter off warranty.

As far as searching, not sure where you are geographically. I am in the SF Bay Area, a.k.a. Tesla ("Atherton Chevies") ground zero. As a result there are perhaps a few more where I am. My servicing dealership seems to have some experience with them beyond just mine, similar to the A8/S8 I have owned for years. A second one is literally down the street, and I saw one on local freeway yesterday. Probably see them around here about as much as the D4 (current) A8's and S8's, and certainly the current S8's. Net, I expect you would find more in the stereotype enviro conscious markets--west coast and perhaps some others in Northeast, and likely more in metro areas.

Used to own a Toyota Sienna (the Lexus of minivans as it was called) and frankly was not very impressed with long term quality and some of the commodity materials just underneath. Several technical items were just not up to snuff to me, a couple literally dangerous long term that I would never find in an Audi design. To name just two, front control arms on AWD that took 14 book hours to replace and could let suspension shift many inches forward under braking when worn. Absurd. Or the rear diff support that when worn would let drivetrain wind up when in park and car could slide back a full foot on a slope as soon as brakes released. Never seen a rear diff support issue on an Audi quattro going on 20 years now, and meanwhile a $300 Toyota craptastic part at that. Outright dangerous with kids. A Lexus RX has been on the same underlying platform along with Camry, Avalon, Highlander, etc. The wife looked at the prior RX but we found RX too big for our liking, particularly the extended rear space behind the seats, yet way sloped roof impinging on it. As empty nesters wife wanted to downsize in general, more than just marginally. New general Toyota Lexus styling with the bulbous lights and all is not for me, but that's subjective taste in general. Some of it does compromise functionality however.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-27-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
The maintenance is all covered by AudiCare or the 4/50 warranty. On the Hybrids a variety of the electric drive elements go out to longer warranty points as well. Nonetheless owning one as a CPO makes yet more sense given the added complexity/components. Not sure I want to stay with it without a warranty, even though I do deep DIY on Audi's generally. The Hybrid stuff is low volume, little to no knowledge outside of dealers, and basically large (and pricy) module replacement for failures. But, not clear to me that isn't pretty much the same for other hybrids too, or for a Tesla for that matter off warranty.
That's good information, which confirms my assumptions. On an Audi hybrid, I'm best to stay under warranty.

As far as searching, not sure where you are geographically. I am in the SF Bay Area, a.k.a. Tesla ("Atherton Chevies") ground zero. As a result there are perhaps a few more where I am. My servicing dealership seems to have some experience with them beyond just mine, similar to the A8/S8 I have owned for years. A second one is literally down the street, and I saw one on local freeway yesterday. Probably see them around here about as much as the D4 (current) A8's and S8's, and certainly the current S8's. Net, I expect you would find more in the enviro conscious markets--west coast and perhaps some others, and likely more in metro areas.
I'm in the Seattle area, so I'm assuming a similarly environmentally conscious area - which also has a lot to do with our choice. My wife is a LEED architect, and we've got the full plethora of recycling options at our house.

Used to own a Toyota Sienna (the Lexus of minivans as it was called) and frankly was not very impressed with long term quality and some of the commodity materials just underneath. Several technical items were just not up to snuff to me, a couple literally dangerous long term that I would never find in an Audi design. To name just two, front control arms on AWD that took 14 book hours to replace and could let suspension shift many inches forward under braking when worn. Absurd. Or the rear diff support that when worn would let drivetrain wind up when in park and car could slide back a full foot on a slope as soon as brakes released. Outright dangerous with kids. A Lexus RX has been on the same underlying platform along with Camry, Avalon, Highlander, etc. The wife looked at the prior RX but we found RX too big for our liking, particularly the extended rear space behind the seats, yet way sloped roof impinging on it. As empty nesters wife wanted to downsize in general, more than just marginally. New general Toyota Lexus styling with the bulbous lights and all is not for me, but that's subjective taste in general. Some of it does compromise functionality however.
My wife has been driving a 2006 Solara since it was one year old. I've had a 2010 Rav4 Sport V6 since late 2009. Her car isn't worth trading in, and I've got a couple more years until I'm no longer under a platinum warranty (bought online from a dealer when they were amazingly cheap). So she's up first, although I've got a pocket full of recalls to deal with on a car with 6.5 yrs and under 50K miles (like I said - we don't put miles on our cars). Since we don't turn cars over quickly, but want the protection of the warranty (years are above miles), we want at least one SUV and the other car can be an SUV, but at least a 4dr sedan that will hold 4 adults comfortably. And they should fit people in their late 40's. Our current cars were great in our late 30's - early 40's, but we're growing up as should our cars. No kids to worry about, but I do volunteer and transport seniors who may have a walker or a small wheelchair that will need to fit in the car. The Rav4 has worked great for this for the last 6 years.

The Q5 is our first choice based on the CPO warranty as well as the look/styling. I do like the newly remodeled RX450h, but that may be better as a consideration in a couple of years when it's time to replace the Rav4. At that time, hopefully we'll have other options, including the new Q5 update.

I appreciate all the feedback on your car.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Another question, which could get long. I noticed you did Euro delivery on your Q5 hybrid. How does the warranty work out on that? Our neighbors bought a Mercedes via European delivery. It sounds like, more or less, the money is similar to buying new. However, you get to drive the car in Europe and then buy it as a "used car" for tax purposes (or something similar), due to the importing of a "used car."

But I'm more interested in the warranty side of things on this. I'm assuming you get the equivalent of a new car warranty, even though it's not shipped as such.

I'll do some research on the side, but if you can summarize it, that would help.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SEEverist
Another question, which could get long. I noticed you did Euro delivery on your Q5 hybrid. How does the warranty work out on that? Our neighbors bought a Mercedes via European delivery. It sounds like, more or less, the money is similar to buying new. However, you get to drive the car in Europe and then buy it as a "used car" for tax purposes (or something similar), due to the importing of a "used car."

But I'm more interested in the warranty side of things on this. I'm assuming you get the equivalent of a new car warranty, even though it's not shipped as such.

I'll do some research on the side, but if you can summarize it, that would help.
Car is a USA spec car and you get full USA warranty. Mine is a CA spec car more specifically for emissions, and if yours in WA you would get the same. CA emissions warranties in general are tighter, and on a Hybrid that's a good thing since some of the subsystems fall under it. The warranty starts the day you take delivery of the car in Europe and runs 4 years/50K from there. If it breaks in Europe for any reason, they fix it there, or if minor ship here and then taken care of. We had zero issues in our 2200 miles and 3 plus weeks.

Car is basically fixed price. MSRP less 5 %, and you get any applicable discounts then running--customer loyalty, brand conquest, etc. Often you can negotiate a lower price on an Audi from a local dealer IF is not a specialized one. That's the issue here--all the other gas ones seem like dealers are discounting to move for knowledgeable buyers. In 2013 when we bought one dealer tried mark it up, and I caught their sales manager in a direct lie about the situation generally--since I saw their internal AoA screen. So, w/ European delivery with an honest dealer on some tightly supply constrained models you may do better. There is also the ACNA discount people will talk about at 6% off that basically works the same for regular US delivery, but it does not currently apply to Hybrids. That was a recent change (along with S8 Plus and new Q7), since I just looked at it and checked the S8 very carefully only 4 or 5 months ago. Frankly that's more Audi of America crap price gaming from their marketing geniuses, but that's a topic for another day.

More details are here: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...AQ-3.14.16.pdf General web link is here: https://www.audiusa.com/inventory/european-delivery Nuance of ACNA discount not currently applying to Q5 Hybrid is here: Member Loyalty Program | Audi Club of North America

A few other subtitles about it if you check the details--you get a night's hotel stay for two, which is good at least for the initial jet lag. You get a factory tour and lunch. You get a full tank of gas, which there is a few hundred dollars. You get a few things thrown in there that are road mandatory but options here--first aid kit, safety vest.

Another nuance is shipping is paid for by Audi. You can now drop it off in places farther away like Paris, Madrid and even London if you want to go for a wide ranging longer vacation. Many years ago you had to get to the ports near Hamburg, but now it is much more flexible.

Sales tax you raise is a creature by state. In CA you no longer get a benefit. It is taxed like a new one. It used to be if car stayed out of state 90 days from delivery you avoided sales tax. That wasn't too hard to do since it starts on delivery date and then it is on boat for 30-40 days. Some used to pay to have it stored a few weeks somewhere pre shipment. You need to check your state law to see if it is regarded as a new car, used car, has a minimum period of use, etc.

Net, it's always fun to do if you want a Euro road vacation, and saving could add up if you would otherwise rent a car there. It is best done on a car not discounted here or these days covered by ACNA discount program. Hybrid happens to fit that Venn intersection if it's what you want. It fit ours as well.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-28-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Great information - I read some of that from Audi's site after posting, but there's obviously more that you'd know having had done it.

How are you finding your mileage compared to advertised numbers?
Old 05-28-2016, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

There are quite a few certified ones listed on Autotrader. Take a look here:

Audi Q5 Hybrid / Electric Vehicles for Sale in Massapequa, NY 11758 - Autotrader
Old 05-28-2016, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
There are quite a few certified ones listed on Autotrader. Take a look here:

Audi Q5 Hybrid / Electric Vehicles for Sale in Massapequa, NY 11758 - Autotrader
Thanks for the link! I updated with my zip (98007), and the closest Audi certified is just over 1000 miles away. The next one is just over 1500 miles away. After that, the eastern US seems to be where the remaining few are.

I'll just have to add that link to my searches and see if anything closer shows up over time.

Quick Reply: Where are all the (new and CPO) Q5 Hybrids?