Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

wind shield crack

Old 09-16-2014, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default wind shield crack

Attached are photos of a crack I found today on my front upper passenger side. I'm wondering if it might spread. It is not visible when seated in the car at all. The only way I can see it in the driver side is if I lean forward and look in the upper right corner. In the passenger side it can't be seen unless the passenger leans forward and look up at the top corner etc...

I don't recall a pebble or rock hitting it but the indent is pretty deep.

I wonder how much it would be to replace the windshield. Does insurance cover this? Is it worth replacing yet?

Strange that the crack seems to have a white color as well. It is the size of the top of a ball point pen

This is a close up view from the inside leaning forward to see it. Wondering about the cracks

This is the brand of Audi window glass
Old 09-16-2014, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Insurance will cover it, but you have to weigh the decision to involve them or not. Depending on your deductible it could be a mild savings, but ultimately it could cause your premiums to increase because it's taken as a claim. Really it would only be worth it if you have $250 deductible, but then again with a potential increase to your premium in the future, you have to wonder if you really want the very little savings you would get.

Personally, I avoid filing a claim with my insurance and handle it directly with the auto glass company. The last windshield I had replaced was $350 installed, but it wasn't a Q. It might be $100 or $200 more, but you won't have to worry about it affecting your premiums later down the road. I'd rather only involve the insurance when the out of pocket cost merits significant savings, since the more claims a person has the more their premiums go up. Also, I would avoid Safelite, but that just from my experience. They were the worst I have ever encountered.

BTW, if the chip/crack is larger than a dime you have to replace or fix the windshield, per California law. Also, if it is in the line of sight of the driver it must be replaced / fixed or you can be ticketed for it.

Last edited by - B -; 09-16-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. The crack is in the upper right corner and is about the size of the top of a bic pen. The photos make it look larger. Since I just noticed it I'm not sure what I want to do yet.

1) does it need to be replace because it will spread?

2) as the car is new I would consider getting audi OEM which is likely more expensive?

3) I have an acoustic front windshield some I'm assuming it needs to be acoustic for the quality of the interior cabin to be what I have today?

I've never had to replace a windshield in any of my other vehicles so this is all quite foreign to me.

I wonder if buying the audi dent, ding, and crack?? insurance would have been good...? I recall someone mentioning these policies before. I wonder if they would have taken care of windshields in any of those policies?
Old 09-16-2014, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I found this recent post of others on here, who had to replace their windshields as well.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...agile-2869584/

1. Naturally with heating and cooling of the windshield, it will probably expand. Also with vibration it could cause it to get worse as well. Although if the crack/ chip is small it may be able to be repaired, but you may want to look into the potential problems that can happen to a repaired windshield prior to committing to that procedure. Let's just say, a visual repair doesn't change the integrity of the windshield and if something would become airborne and hit the windshield it may not protect you as well as a new windshield.

2.OEM will be more expensive, but depending on who you go with to do the replacement, they may get you a deal. I believe from the dealer it is $900, but wholesale price is much cheaper. So, a reputable shop who works on AUDI's will more than likely still make it affordable.

3. An OEM windshield will be identical to what you have. Just make sure it has the logo on the glass, which should be basically identical to what you have.

Those additional policies sometimes can be worth it, but mainly they are ways for the dealership to make some extra money. I went with the rim and tire coverage because I have 20"s and one wheel replacement would cover the policy, but it has very strict conditions and I'm sure the ding, crack, and dent policy would too. So it might not even cover the sort of damage you have, but I'm not entirely sure. I know I didn't opt for it though.

Last edited by - B -; 09-16-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Random thought... Do you think a sunshade could make a crack spread more as the sunshade reflects the sun but may heat the glass and worsen cracks?

Just curious for opinions...?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's possible, but it would depend on how much direct sun light it is reflecting.

Remember that the glass is tempered. So, the temperature from the Sun would have to get really hot in order for it to cause additional damage, but quickly changing temperature, such as heating and cooling could exacerbate the crack, especially over a long duration.

Last edited by - B -; 09-16-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In Massachusetts, there is no cost to replace a windshield - it is covered by auto insurance. The glass replacement companies bill the insurance company directly, so consumers never even see the cost (I'm sure we pay for it in other ways).
Old 09-17-2014, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by imdakine1
Does insurance cover this?
Do you have glass insurance on your policy? Some insurers/policies will allow you to have a $0 deductible on glass repair/replacement, but it's typically a separate item on the policy. And in most states glass claims do not jack up your rates, at least in theory.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow...really??? It's "the size of the top of a bic pen" and it's not in front of the driver.
Is there something in your area that prohibits repairing it? There are a lot of places that will seal that with epoxy...15 minutes and $45 and you're done. I had one done years ago and it never spread. It's less visible as well. I have since gotten other chips and cracks, but that first one never expanded. Just say no to crack, but a little chip like this is easily repairable.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SQive
Wow...really??? It's "the size of the top of a bic pen" and it's not in front of the driver.
Is there something in your area that prohibits repairing it? There are a lot of places that will seal that with epoxy...15 minutes and $45 and you're done. I had one done years ago and it never spread. It's less visible as well. I have since gotten other chips and cracks, but that first one never expanded. Just say no to crack, but a little chip like this is easily repairable.
Good points. I suggest the OP check with a (epoxy) repair shop and check either your policy for coverage or call the insurance carrier to see what's covered. Everything else is speculation that may or may not apply to you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wind shield crack