Winter kills fuel mileage - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q5/SQ5 Discussion
Log In 


Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Winter kills fuel mileage

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2014, 04:45 AM   #1
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 200
Default Winter kills fuel mileage

It has been consistently zero and below here for about 5 weeks. It is really killing the fuel mileage. I normally get 23 in mixed driving and 28 on the highway in the summer. We've been getting 17 in mixed. Took a 200+ mile highway trip yesterday and got 22 mpg at 70 mph. Zero degrees and a hellacious cross wind. When we short-trip, the engine never gets to operating temperature.
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
 
spijun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sarajevo /BiH
Posts: 2,763
Default

It is normal for all engines in the world
__________________
Q5 2.0 TFSI,S-tronic,
Milano leather, B&O, 19" 5-arm polished

Excuse me for my English
spijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:34 AM   #3
AudiWorld Member
 
soonerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
It has been consistently zero and below here for about 5 weeks. It is really killing the fuel mileage. I normally get 23 in mixed driving and 28 on the highway in the summer. We've been getting 17 in mixed. Took a 200+ mile highway trip yesterday and got 22 mpg at 70 mph. Zero degrees and a hellacious cross wind. When we short-trip, the engine never gets to operating temperature.
Imagine your sadness if you were driving a five year old Jeep Cherokee instead....or a PT Cruiser, etc. etc.
Perspective is everything! Cheer up!
__________________
2014 Q5 TDI Ibis White/Black
S-Line Plus Pkg., Sport Pkg,. MMI Nav Plus, B&O, Side Assist, Tow Hitch, Protection Pkg.

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 Q5 P+ 2.0TFSI
soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 773
Default

this is not something new. it has been around for ages. Winter = longer warm up time because we all cant stand sitting in the cold for a long time.
AudiQ5sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:45 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pewaukee, WI
Posts: 124
Default

Don't forget that the winter blend of fuel has less energy.
__________________
2011 Quartz Grey Premium Plus with Navigation and Tow Package
2004 Blue a4 Cabriolet 3.0 Quattro - Sold
Winter Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #6
AudiWorld Super User
 
ELEVENS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: great lakes, yoo ess of eh
Posts: 4,416
Default

Seasonal fuel blending, longer engine warmup time, letting the car idle longer to warm the interior before driving off, along with colder air density and snow on the roads increasing rolling resistance. Ice and snow on the car kills aero too. Plus many of us run winter tires which have a tad more rolling resistance. Those who don't run winter tires probably are running under-inflated all-season tires
__________________
______________________________
2007 RS4 Daytona Gray Pearl Effect
Silver Nappa Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim
Audi SuperSport Plus Suspension, GIAC software
No sunroof (only 27 made) , no rear airbags, no resonator, no carbon (cleaned 3X), Tint-35
12.5 @110mph on the 3rd pass, smog legal on pump gas
Summer: 255/35-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
Winter: 225/40-18 Dunlop WinterSport 4D on 7.5" Italias
2010 Q5 Deep Sea Blue Pearl Effect
Cinnamon Brown Leather / Brushed Aluminum Trim
3.2L []S-Line, B&O, & hitch
carbon cleaned twice :-(
Summer: Continental ExtremeContact DWS on 20" OEM peelers
Winter: Blizzak DM-V1 235-19 on Hartmann TTRS reps
2007 A4 Cab Ibis White/Beige Top
Beige Leather / Birch Trim
2.0T Quattro
Summer: 17" Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Winter: 17" Dunlop WinterSport 4D
ELEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:17 AM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 68
Default

In Florida, I look forward to "winter" for gas mileage:

- Turn off A/C
- Cooler, denser air going into the engine intake
- Cooler fuel more efficiently dissipates engine heat
amstrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 178
Default

Yup, just the way it is. On the brighter side, 17 MPG still beats walking...
__________________
2014 Scuba Blue Q5 TDI
Factory hitch
brutus23079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 901
Default

I don't pay attention to my gas mileage in the Q, but in my other car I get 16 mpg in the summer and only 13 mpg in the winter. I think the 4WD kicks in a lot more in the winter which also causes a drop-off in fuel efficiency.
__________________
2012 Audi Q5 2.0T Ibis White/Cinnamon
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #10
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan View Post
Imagine your sadness if you were driving a five year old Jeep Cherokee instead....
When I was a kid my dad bought a new 1995 Grand Cherokee. I always remember him cussing it out. The first day he brought it home after work he was so happy, but never again. The next day he drove it to work and it broke down on the highway. He never broke 10mpg on any fillup and his commute was all highway. The transmission eventually crapped out at 100k miles and he junked it for $500. Imagine a $30k car going down to $500 in a span of less than 10 years ... sucks!
__________________
2012 Audi Q5 2.0T Ibis White/Cinnamon
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #11
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I don't pay attention to my gas mileage in the Q, but in my other car I get 16 mpg in the summer and only 13 mpg in the winter. I think the 4WD kicks in a lot more in the winter which also causes a drop-off in fuel efficiency.
I don't pay much attention to gas mileage. I'll monitor it on a long trip to see how it's doing and for something to do, but that's about it.
Q5 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q5 Bob View Post
I don't pay much attention to gas mileage. I'll monitor it on a long trip to see how it's doing and for something to do, but that's about it.
I do, because my commute to work is 50 miles round trip. Even though the money spent on gas isn't a concern of mine, I still want to be efficient.

As a stated on another post, I'm disappointed my mpg is low given I've been driving 60 - 65 and my commute is mostly highway.
__________________
mrrun2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 773
Default

should just get a hybrid if you want more miles to the gallon.
AudiQ5sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #14
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper View Post
should just get a hybrid if you want more miles to the gallon.
Lots more MPG, far fewer SPM (smiles per mile).
Dalancroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #15
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
When I was a kid my dad bought a new 1995 Grand Cherokee. I always remember him cussing it out. The first day he brought it home after work he was so happy, but never again. The next day he drove it to work and it broke down on the highway. He never broke 10mpg on any fillup and his commute was all highway. The transmission eventually crapped out at 100k miles and he junked it for $500. Imagine a $30k car going down to $500 in a span of less than 10 years ... sucks!
That was his first mistake -- he bought a Chrysler product. A few years ago I was traveling and rented a PT Cruiser. Worst car I have EVER driven, and it wasn't even close.
Dalancroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #16
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrun2fast View Post
I do, because my commute to work is 50 miles round trip. Even though the money spent on gas isn't a concern of mine, I still want to be efficient.

As a stated on another post, I'm disappointed my mpg is low given I've been driving 60 - 65 and my commute is mostly highway.
Not too long ago Consumer Reports reported that in their Road Tests, 28% of the vehicles tested with small turbo engines missed their EPA estimates by at least 10%.
__________________
2013 Q5 2.0t, Cuvee Silver/Black, Pano, 19", MMI/Nav, B&O, Advanced Key, 3M Crystalline.
2014 BMW 3281 X Drive, White Metallic/Tan, Nav, 3M Crystalline etc.
Q5 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #17
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q5 Bob View Post
Not too long ago Consumer Reports reported that in their Road Tests, 28% of the vehicles tested with small turbo engines missed their EPA estimates by at least 10%.
like the Q5 with the 2.0t?

small turbo's constantly have to boost which may be efficient in terms of their combustion but not in economy.

However this is not true for diesels which constantly exceed EPA ratings.
__________________

09' Audi Q5 3.2 Premium + (Lease Return) 12' Audi Q5 2.0t Premium + 14' Audi Q5 TDi S-Line
09' Ducati Mosnter 696 (Upgraded to) 12' Ducati Monster 796
2013 BMW S1000rr
2010 BMW 335d
2010 VW Jetta TDI

Coolieman1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #18
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalancroft View Post
Lots more MPG, far fewer SPM (smiles per mile).
Haha. I know... My wife has a Prius. Takes all the joy out of driving.
mrrun2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #19
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
NABS4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I don't pay attention to my gas mileage in the Q, but in my other car I get 16 mpg in the summer and only 13 mpg in the winter. I think the 4WD kicks in a lot more in the winter which also causes a drop-off in fuel efficiency.
"4WD" is always there. That's the beauty of quattro. It's not some ****ty "slip then grip" system. 60/40 R/F torque split unless the car finds a reason to adjust the split.
__________________
2014 A6 TDI Progressiv Quartz Grey w/sport and nav
Previous
2013 Q5 3.0T Daytona Grey
2009 911 C4S
2010 S4 Meteor Grey
2006 911 C2S
2006 325i
2000 S2000


NABS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #20
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABS4 View Post
"4WD" is always there. That's the beauty of quattro. It's not some ****ty "slip then grip" system. 60/40 R/F torque split unless the car finds a reason to adjust the split.
Haha, I know. I was referring to Honda's "realtime 4WD" not Audi's.
__________________
2012 Audi Q5 2.0T Ibis White/Cinnamon
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
20t, a4, audi, b6, formulation, gas, mileage, suck, turbo, winter

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:28 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community