Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Wiper Fluid for Q5 Need Recommendation

Old 12-24-2014, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wiper Fluid for Q5 Need Recommendation

Hello Folks

I am wondering what you guys use to refill the Wiper windscreen wash fluid? the one which came with the car was with a nice scent and I found an Audi fluid in Amazon not sure thats the one. VW177101 Premix Rain Repellent Windshield Washer Solvent is the one in Amazon. (Link Below)

Amazon.com: Genuine Audi Fluid ZVW177101 Premix Rain Repellent Windshield Washer Solvent - 64 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Genuine Audi Fluid ZVW177101 Premix Rain Repellent Windshield Washer Solvent - 64 oz.: Automotive

What about RainX ? I want one which I can use in all seasons. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!!
Old 12-24-2014, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

It says unavailable on my link. I just buy the fluid at autoparts stores and get the ones that go as cold as possible - -30°F if available
Old 12-24-2014, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hope wiper fluid isn't one of those 'Genuine Audi' things we need to worry about. Wiper fluid is wiper fluid..just get the stuff that is for winter..
Old 12-24-2014, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Stick with the cheap -20 blue fluid. I have heard the rain-x stuff plugs things up. I went to the Audi dealer and the gave me a bottle of the cheap blue stuff I ask about the smaller bottle of Auid fluid you mix with destilled water and they said they only use the cheap blue stuff. I love the smell of the audi fluid. Next time I at the dealer in Denver I am going to pick up 6 bottles.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

come onnnnnn !! this is winter fluid. AUDI are not a martians car.......winter fluid is winter fluid that's it.... take the cheapest you can get at the coldest you can get. And take the VCDS to stop or put a minimum time value on the headlight washer.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Washer solvents are definitely not created equal. You folks obviously do not drive in foul weather of ice, snow, NaCl, MgCl2, CaCl2, organic de-icers, and various other ice melting chemicals they dump on roads here in the Mitten. Maybe it doesn't matter if you drive in moderate climates, but in the cold climates, a good washer fluid is critical for safety, convenience, and driving enjoyment. Any washer solution you buy off the shelf is CRAP. The "good stuff" washer solvent is only at a dealer I think due to EPA regulations regarding volatility (VOCs). The dealer can't even sell it to you (as of about 4 years ago), but they can add it to your reservoir themselves in their service bay. My Audi parts guy gives the following info to his customers after consulting with me:

I've been making my own washer solvent after reverse-engineering BMW fluid a decade ago (I own an analytical lab): It contains 10% MeOH, 10% EtOH, anionic detergents, and water. The alcohols are easy enough to buy at paint stores, Lowes, Home Deport, etc. I buy the detergent from Detailersdomain.com, it's called 1Z einszett Kristall Klar Washer Fluid. There are others, too. Don't use tap water in your mix! You need distilled or deionized water or eventually your nozzles will clog with hard water deposits. Now go play in the snow!

Last edited by ELEVENS; 12-25-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Canada your fluid should meet at least -40C to avoid icing on windshield. As for brand, I am impartial. What I suggest is to apply correctly something like RainX or Aquapel before winter to all your external glass, to make the windshield easier to keep clear.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not all fluids are the same.. learned that the hard way. I may have messed up my sensor. I filled it up with the Rain-X (orange one) and first time was okay. Second time my sensor keeps going off saying i need to refill it, even though its full. Then i emptied that out and put in the Prestone De-Icer fluid and that went away. Then put in a second bottle with no problems. Then went to Target and bought the cheapo blue kind, and that set off my sensor. I was going to empty it out and put in the Prestone again but went to the dealer and they filled it for me and now its on and off depending on weather.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yeah, don't use the Rain-X products. They're causing issues with the level sensor.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you all for your comments. yes I also came from thinking its a Wiper fluid, no big deal. Once I read more about it, I would like to get the Audi Fluid, that came with the car. I like the scent and its performance. After lot of result I found it in Amazon for sale, however its out of stock! So I posted this thread to know what you guys do I think Prestone De-Icer is the second best to the Audi fluid so far. Let me know if any of you find Audi VW177101 Premix Rain Repellent Windshield Washer Solvent back on sale Happy holidays!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiper Fluid for Q5 Need Recommendation