Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Would you still buy TDI with diesel fuel so much higher?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I often wonder why when it comes to considering a TDI, the only criteria that ever gets considered is how much money it is going to save. Well I have some news: if you want to save money you are better off in a kia soul or a ford fiesta. or taking the train or riding the bus. A brand new Q5 of any stripe is going to depreciate a lot faster than a 10 year old jetta.

Consider, that the reason to buy a TDI may have nothing to do with saving money..

I'll list a couple:

- it's the engine that they go racing with... you are closer to the racing pedigree. 8 wins, 24 entrants, zero engine failures. all of the technical advances are with diesel... the gas engine is pretty much maxxed out... I like being a part of something dynamic. (see audi-encounter.com for intimate interviews with the engineers)

- 428 lbft... there is no comparison

- all that muscle and it can still give you 40 mpg... it's not the money savings... I just want the best that audi offers. simple as that.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the info and opinions guys! Many of you got what I was asking, which was : if the TDI cost you more to operate long term, would it still be your #1 choice.

Of course gas/diesel prices are going to be all over the place, but the numbers I'm hearing are crazy even just confined to the US. Here in the Midwest, diesel continues to climb, and premium to fall dramatically so it just got me to thinking about what answers would be if the operating economy question was flipped on its head.

I do have to say, one thing that continues to come up is the argument about which is better performing 3.0T or TDI. It's interesting how many opinions there are based on past experience and/or driver usage. For me, brought up on smaller, high-winding "small block" engines, a tuned 3.0T is head and shoulders above the TDI if I compare a performance-oriented driving experience. It feels like I expect, but with better low end than a NA engine. The TDI drives like my buddy's maxed out big block: enough torque to ripple the pavement, but you need to shift as soon as the fun starts. If I re-label what I consider "performance" to fun daily-drivability, the TDI might actually win. In it's no muss, no fuss understated manor, it can pull on almost anything in stop & go and nobody is the wiser. It's just gone. The 3.0T needs a bit more prep - right gear, right RPM, and I've been caught flat-footed with it a couple times where it can't downshift fast enough.

Now that I derailed my own topic...
Old 12-17-2014, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

there...

Old 12-17-2014, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way to determine what you'd like is to drive both. I have a 2015 Q5 TDI and after driving many 4 cylinder diesels in Europe and all kinds of gas engines here, I have to say it's the sweetest engine I've ever had. Don't try to compare it to any diesel made here. The Germans have it down pat, even compared to any other European diesel made. Yeah it needs Adblue and the diesel nozzles at the pump are always dirty, but if you only own one diesel vehicle in your life, you could do a lot worse than this. They also hold their value pretty damn good if you decide to get rid of it after a couple of years.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I ordered my Q5 TDI in July when premium gasoline prices were still in the $3.50 to $3.75 range, and took delivery in late October. I kind of smirk at myself now that fuel prices are significantly lower. However even Diesel is below $3 a gallon in KS.

Do I regret going with the TDI? Not for a moment. I don't go to the track, so I rarely would take advantage of the full capabilities of the 3.0T. Had an A6 3.2 V6 before the Q5 and often if I got spirited with it, I was above the speed limit before shifting out of 3rd gear. With the TDI, I enjoy day to day driving so much more with all of the low end torque and get much better efficiency.

Fuel prices are going to vary and in my experience, Diesel tends to be less volatile and slower to react to oil markets. So it doesn't fall as quickly as gasoline, and hopefully is is slower to rise as well. End the end, I think the decision of Diesel vs gasoline comes down to your driving habits and what you value in dynamics.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sugadaddy
I'd rather have the better performing 3.0T.
My wife drove both, and much preferred the TDI (even though it is rated 0.5secs slower on 0-60). The available torque is absolutely unreal.

In fact one of the car magazines said they assumed the SQ5 engine would be the best, but they said they might have to re-consider that after they drove the TDI.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive all 3 variants of the 3.0, the Q5 and SQ5 gassers and the Q5 oil burner. Pick the one that suits you best and smile every time you get behind the wheel.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Like MattMan3104, I ordered my 2015 TDI in July and took delivery at the end of October. Clearly, the price of gasoline has gone down quite a bit since then whereas diesel has remained higher than Premium gas ( at least here in Silicon Valley). I do chuckle a bit about that, and the timing, but better fuel efficiency was only one consideration in my buying decision.

Others were the fact that I tend to believe that a diesel engine, properly maintained, will last a VERY long time. I also just love the sound and feel of the Q5's diesel engine. Finally . . . it's all about the torque, 'bout the torque, 'bout the torque (no treble), which is just pure, unadulterated awesomeness, IMO.

I would totally purchase a TDI if I was placing my order today or in the future, regardless of what happens with the price of gasoline!
Old 12-17-2014, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I have observed in the NY area that Diesel price is higher than Premium in the winter season. Why? Diesel production and Heating Fuel Oil are about the same refined product, so diesel and fuel oil are high demand, and gasoline demand is lower (less traveling) and gasoline is a by-product of oil refining process is cheaper. (Before cars became popular, gasoline was burnt off at the refinery as a waste product).

During the Summer, gasoline is in high demand, heating fuel oil demand is lower. So Diesel and Heating Fuel Oil price falls and can be cheaper than gasoline.

Highway taxes doesn't favor Diesel either.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes definitely. No question about it. I love my diesel

Quick Reply: Would you still buy TDI with diesel fuel so much higher?