Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

xm traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2015 has the 4 year... I merged it into my regular account with my Jetta and my EOS (which also has the 4 year)
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2015, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Keener
My 2015 has the 4 year... I merged it into my regular account with my Jetta and my EOS (which also has the 4 year)
Looks like you are Prestige level..so 4yrs makes sense based on my findings.

Thanks to all for giving me feedback on the issue!
Old 07-02-2015, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
Looks like you are Prestige level..so 4yrs makes sense based on my findings.

Thanks to all for giving me feedback on the issue!
The media kit and brochure both say it's included in the MMI navigation package when you buy a PP. Prestige just includes this package. The radio sub is still just 90 days.

MMI® navigation plus package
Available on 2.0T Premium models
• MMI® navigation plus with voice control1
• SiriusXM® Traffic with four-year
subscription1
• Color driver information system

1 See Infotainment/Technology section of the Featured Content page for important information regarding MMI® navigation plus, required SiriusXM® subscriptions, BLUETOOTH®-compatible device and Audi connect®
Old 07-02-2015, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

If only Sirius traffic was more accurate. In the Boston metro area I find it correctly reports about half the time. Either the start/stop points on the map are wrong, the traffic shown on the map has since dissipated or there's a traffic jam not shown at all. If it ever becomes more than 4 bucks a month I'll likely pass when my free 4 years is up later this year.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
If only Sirius traffic was more accurate. In the Boston metro area I find it correctly reports about half the time. Either the start/stop points on the map are wrong, the traffic shown on the map has since dissipated or there's a traffic jam not shown at all. If it ever becomes more than 4 bucks a month I'll likely pass when my free 4 years is up later this year.
I wonder how it compares to Google traffic? Google saved our butts on a trip from Atlanta to Jackson, Ms. Had a rental car with no Nav and was using the cell and Google Maps. It popped up and said 'have a shorter route'... I took it and it took me around thru the sticks and then back to the interstate. The next day I saw a story about a huge wreck ant the interstate was stopped for many hours. Google saved us that pain.....
Old 07-04-2015, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Google traffic, like Garmin and Magellan alike, used to suck. Then Google started quietly using Waze (after they bought it) and Waze seems to have the best traffic reporting, since it is sent in by actual drivers stuck in the stuff.

FWIW I've also used Scout, and their traffic seemed pretty good. I couldn't figure out why Scout was sending me way out of my way when Garmin said the road ahead was clear. Until I got stuck in "1 minute delay" times twenty new minutes. Scout didn't say anything about traffic (duh?) but apparently it was taking it into account. (Android app.)

Don't know about SXM. Their dickering over plans, bargains, rates, remind me too much of airlines and "special! only one seat left!".
Old 07-05-2015, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I find that SiriusXM traffic information is at least 15 minutes delayed. Would be great if there was a well-written review comparing the sources and processing of traffic information. SiriusXM could be totally green and wham... I am in traffic. Then you look at the display again, now it shows traffic.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

We keep hammering on Sirius traffic but actually, it's provided by NavTech which also provides data to Garmin, Bing, Yahoo and Nokia maps.

Inrix traffic provides data to Apple, Android, Blackberry phones, Ford SYNC, Toyota and other car manf including Audi currently in some newer models.

Tele Atlas provides traffic data for TomTom (which owns it), and various auto manf.

Google, which own Waze traffic, provides data for Google Maps.

Which is best? I can't find a head to head comparison. I would think that location plays a role in accuracy but universally, my guess would be Google. With the increasing popularity of community based Waze, Google seems to be ahead of the rest .
Old 07-05-2015, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

We keep hammering on Sirius traffic but actually, it's provided by NavTech which also provides data to Garmin, Bing, Yahoo and Nokia maps.

Inrix traffic provides data to Apple, Android, Blackberry phones, Ford SYNC, Toyota and other car manf including Audi currently in some newer models.

Tele Atlas provides traffic data for TomTom (which owns it), and various auto manf.

Google, which own Waze traffic, provides data for Google Maps.

Which is best? I can't find a head to head comparison. I would think that location plays a role in accuracy but universally, my guess would be Google. With the increasing popularity of community based Waze, Google seems to be ahead of the rest .
Some web searching reveals that Google and Inrix both use crowdsourcing data from cell phones, as well as other information. Crowdsourcing reveals speed as the average vehicle moves from point A to B.

SiriusXM descriptions say they use highway sensors and truck based GPS systems. Perhaps this is why only certain highways' traffic appears on SiriusXM (every region is different).

My observations are that Google Maps traffic display is very dynamic, changing very quickly. I suspect that NAVTEQ and SiriusXM are not processing the data as quickly hence the delays in updates. This is pure guessing, but I would be pleased when Audi adopts other than SiriusXM Traffic for the entire product line.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 year XM traffic is definitely included per 2015 Audi Q5 Brouchure and it is also specified in the Audi Connect informatin packet that comes with vehicles equipment with the Tech Package. I merged my old SiriusXM account from my previous Vehicle with the new trial account that came with my 2015 Q5. I don't see any mention in my Online account for the Infotainment system with the 4yr traffic trial. I wonder if that is in a separate trial account. I am just 1 month into my 3 Month trial on my XM radio package, so it is yet to be seen what happens when that expires.

Quick Reply: xm traffic?