Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Xpel pricing

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xpel pricing

I'm getting some body work done in a few weeks (amazing how much scratches are to remove) and was thinking of getting a the clear bra thing; Xpel. I was quoted 1500.00 front and back bumpers, partial front hood, mirrors front and back fenders. I live in NE NJ; fair price? Recommended dealers?

Bob
Old 08-26-2014, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Me too

I would be interested as well Bob. I would like to get some detailing done in a few weeks time and don't know a fair price or recommend detailer in the area. Also, just curious why you chose xpel vs opti coat? Or other products for that matter. Hopefully someone out there can help us.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:36 PM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what I paid locally for Xpel:

-Full front bumper including the lower portion which was a custom job
-Full Hood
-Partial Front Fenders (I did not want them to remove Supercharged badges)
-Rocker Panels
-Lights, Mirrors, Door Cups & edges

$1000

I got quotes from $800 to $2500 for the very same job. Crazy what some people are being charged (and paying) for this stuff.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by pj.pinelli
I would be interested as well Bob. I would like to get some detailing done in a few weeks time and don't know a fair price or recommend detailer in the area. Also, just curious why you chose xpel vs opti coat? Or other products for that matter. Hopefully someone out there can help us.
Well, XPEL is a protective film, OPTI is a clear coat. To me, I prefer to have the film protecting against slight pings and dings and slight scratches that are easily picked, actually almost unavoidable, living and driving in NE NJ - NYC. I may get the OPTI later though.

B
Old 08-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TTG
Here is what I paid locally for Xpel:

-Full front bumper including the lower portion which was a custom job
-Full Hood
-Partial Front Fenders (I did not want them to remove Supercharged badges)
-Rocker Panels
-Lights, Mirrors, Door Cups & edges

$1000

I got quotes from $800 to $2500 for the very same job. Crazy what some people are being charged (and paying) for this stuff.
I agree, but I would also bet there are dealers who are way more proficient/skillful than others and take the time to do the proper prep work. Not saying your dealer did not do a perfect job, just saying there's more to it than dealers being greedy or gouchers.

B
Old 08-26-2014, 04:38 PM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Festoolbob
I agree, but I would also bet there are dealers who are way more proficient/skillful than others and take the time to do the proper prep work. Not saying your dealer did not do a perfect job, just saying there's more to it than dealers being greedy or gouchers.

B
For our cars it is all pre-cut and Xpel offers 10 years no questions asked warranty which they will cover the labor cost.

For custom stuff, I hear what you are saying. Once you purchase Xpel, if you dont like the job they do, take it back. They are pretty picky with thier certified dealers. Mine was done by the guy who does all cars for the local BMW,MB and Tesla dealerships. And also Xpel is ALL he does, not one of those shops that offers window tint, detail and all.

Like I said, I did shop around though.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pj.pinelli
Also, just curious why you chose xpel vs opti coat?
Opti-coat is a paint sealant where as the Xpel is a paint protection film. Both server a very different purpose. The paint sealants serve as an alternative to waxing your car. Allows for the hydrophobic properties of want but is semi-permanent. I say semi-permanent as it wear and tear material. It just lasts longer than carnauba wax. The caveat here is that you will want a full paint correction before applying the paint sealant, otherwise you are sealing in any imperfections (scratches/swirls).

Paint protection films on the other hand is a film as the name would indicate. The primary goal is to protect the paint from rock chips. So instead of having to repaint due to chips, you can peel off the film and the paint will be as good as the day you put on the film. The paint sealant can be applied on top of the paint protection film as well.

On my wife's Q5 we opted for Opti-coat only where as on my car I did both a full front custom wrap and Opti-coat.

Full Paint Correction w/ Opti-coat
Old 08-26-2014, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hoiya, what color grey is your Q5?
Old 08-26-2014, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Munchpup
Hoiya, what color grey is your Q5?
It's a Daytona Grey.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To amplify on why the huge $$ spread for XPEL, here's a post I just found on the TESLA forum. This was a pro detailer's response to the question in cost variance amongst XPEL Installer's.
Bob

A typical front xpel wrap, by that I mean full hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors, and custom/semi-custom, should be around $2200-3400...why such a big range?

PREP/INSTALLER SKILL/POST PREP

PREP:

Pre-prep is crucial. Most shops simply wash and clay prior to install. That's fine, but imperfections such as swirls, chips, scratches, etc. will be there once film is applied. You will not see imperfections such as swirls and light scratches once film is applied, but for some, knowing they're there is just as bad. An installation that addresses these imperfections and removes them, adds time and labor, yields you a pristine finish forever as long as film is applied. Once film is removed down the road, that surface underneath has been frozen in time and will be immaculate every time you remove/replace the film. Excellent value.

Also, is it important to you to have a seamless install. A proper install in my opinion means you cannot see the install. This requires certain parts like the grill, lights, plastic trim, emblems, bumper, etc. to be removed so the film can tuck inside without any exposed edges. This, again, requires time, and more importantly, a skilled technician to remove/replace back to the way factory put it together.

Install:

Not all installs are created equal. It's like saying, I bought a car. Well, did you buy a $20K Kia, or a $120K Tesla? Both will get you from Point A - Point B, but the latter does it in a completely different manner. It's all the in the details. A proper install takes time. The film may need to be customized to wrap around certain body panels to make for a seamless install. The skill of the installer is crucial as the film needs to be trimmed by hand. Last thing you want is someone cutting the film with a blade and also cutting the paint due to inexperience. Trust me...we see it all the time. Also, some shops do a pre-cut install and you have exposed edges of the film. Over time, the exposed edges will attract dirt, accumulate wax/polish, etc. This means you'll have to re-apply the clear film sooner down the road. Shops that do semi-custom/custom will demand a premium as the install will be cleaner and more precise. For the most part, the more invisible the install, the higher the cost.

Post Prep:

Finally, what's being done as a final inspection? Does the shop simply wipe down the vehicle and send you off on your way? Or does a shop include a detail service to clean up the overspray of solution on glass, other paint surfaces from the installation. Applying the clear film can be a messy job. It's good to know a qualified shop will properly wash the car, vacuum interior, maybe apply a spray wax to complete the job. At our place, we actually do a proper renewal service and apply a nano coating to further protect the clear film install.

Hope this helps shed light to the process. Please let me know if you guys have further questions. In the end, remember with services that require someone to do it, you're paying for the technician's ability and experience. The material is constant. The more skilled, more experienced, and more detail-oriented the technician, the higher the cost. But, you didn't purchase just any car to put a clear film on, or apply window tint to, or have properly enhanced...you purchased a unique and exclusive product. Seek out those that care more about working on your car and producing something they're passionate about, than someone wanting to do it to just make money and underbid the competition. Because, when all's said and done, if you seek out someone based on price for a service like this, you may actually get what you paid for. Often, the effects of a job done poorly, cost far more than the premium paid for a skilled craftsman doing his/her trade.

Quick Reply: Xpel pricing