Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Yards = Feet in Voice Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
The issue is that the nav says "yards" when in reality it is "feet". There is quite a bit of difference in distance between 1000 yards and 1000 feet (333 yards). When the nav lady tells you to make a turn in 1000 yards, but in reality that turn is only 333 yards away, then I can see how that can be an issue.
I hadn't realized that the distance announced as yards was actually feet. Has anyone measured a real distance compared to the voice announcement to confirm the error?
Old 04-10-2015, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I hadn't realized that the distance announced as yards was actually feet. Has anyone measured a real distance compared to the voice announcement to confirm the error?
I'm the OP. I haven't tried an exact measurement, but I'm pretty certain the Voice Announcement is accurate (i.e, the number but not the Unit of Measurement).
To the other responder, of course I can and do divide by 3. Issue is that after 50 or so years, I have a learned instinct what "300 Yards" looks like. So, consciously dividing by 3 is easy, but in the meantime the car is moving so that turn can come pretty quickly. And, since I'm only using the NAV rarely and in an unknown area, it's a bit disconcerting.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only used the Nav a few times..just got the Q 10 days ago..but it seems to be accurate..got a command today..turn in 300 yards..not way the turn was in 300 feet..

Distance closes fast when driving so yards can seem like feet.

I will say this however…the directions could use some improvements…'Take the Exit' should be 'Take Exit 4'..no biggie if there is only one exit..but at those interchanges where there are multiple exits in a short distance…it's.."uh..which one…crap chose the wrong one"

My 06 Lexus did give the exit number..very helpful when necessary..
Old 04-10-2015, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
I will say this however…the directions could use some improvements…'Take the Exit' should be 'Take Exit 4'..no biggie if there is only one exit..but at those interchanges where there are multiple exits in a short distance…it's.."uh..which one…crap chose the wrong one"

My 06 Lexus did give the exit number..very helpful when necessary..
I experienced the same issue with multiple, close exits until I started relying on the DIS Nav screen which shows a close-up, accurate diagram of the turn details. Coupled with the distance-to-turn vertical bar graph, I don't usually encounter confusion even when there are two or more turn options packed closely together. The exit/lane picture and exit name on the main nav screen help as well.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slotriathl8
Early on we noticed the Navigation system speaks in Yards when it should be feet.
So, I was trying to pay attention to this today while driving, and I believe our 2015 has the same problem. The numbers on the screen as well as voice announcement indicate yards, when in reality the distances seemed more like feet. That is one massive goof-up by Audi.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
So, I was trying to pay attention to this today while driving, and I believe our 2015 has the same problem. The numbers on the screen as well as voice announcement indicate yards, when in reality the distances seemed more like feet. That is one massive goof-up by Audi.
Has been the case since at least '13, wonder if the new system on a3 is any different
Old 05-04-2015, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"Feetgate". Goes with "Cupholdergate".
Old 05-04-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by igord
Has been the case since at least '13, wonder if the new system on a3 is any different
Nuts. You would think this would be an easy fix with a firmware update.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a very brief adjustment period I've gotten used to the announcement in yards. When it says something like, exit right in 900 yards, I can visualize the approximate distance.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I had to check it out this morning, but I can't find anything wrong with it. I was about 0.5 miles from my exit when the voice instructions said "exit in 900 yards". Then I pulled into my neighborhood and had a right turn come up after the next block and the voice instructions came on saying "right turn in 100 yards". I just measured the block on Google Maps and it's 82 yards long, so given the time it takes for the voice instructions to finish a sentence while the car is moving and the fact that GPS is not accurate to the inch, it seems right on the money. I also find the exit instructions pretty good. If there are multiple consecutive exits it is very specific by saying "take the first exit on the right" or "take the second exit..." etc. In addition it always displays the exit numbers on the MMI screen at the left where it displays upcoming exits and maneuvers, so I pretty much know my exit number three exits ahead. I grew up with the metric system and 1 yard is roughly 1 meter (close enough for these purposes) and I never felt the yard announcements were wrong.

BTW, as far as I know, the MMI is being developed right here in California in the Silicon Valley, so if anything I would expect them to get the metric system wrong :-).

Last edited by superswiss; 05-07-2015 at 09:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Yards = Feet in Voice Navigation