Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

'17 SQ5

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by IRogue
thanks everyone. My dealer told me that the ordering window for an SQ5 will be closing very soon - initially he said that it was closed. apparently there are not many '17 SQ5s on order/in the system - most dealers have what they have in stock and will wait for '18.

I am looking for a heavily optioned prestige. most dealers only have premiums.

I am going to try to get max discount and order a '17 - with no backlog of orders I would think it could get built more quickly than the standard 3 mos....presumably Audi wants to get them done quickly so that the line can be switched over to '18. I am not interested in waiting another 4-6mos for an '18 that the dealer is going to try get MSRP for and then have to deal with teething issues....
There won't be any 2018 Q5 line to switch over to in Germany. Germany is shutting down the Q5 line and converting over to something else. The majority of the world Q5's will be built in Mexico, with very little production in India and China.

One thing to remember in your quest for a SQ5. The current SQ5 is built in Germany using European tried and proven sourced raw parts. The Mexico Q5/SQ5 are going to be made from many new North American sourced parts that don't have an reliability or proven track record. The Mexico plant will use engines and transmissions that come from Europe that is one good thing.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
There won't be any 2018 Q5 line to switch over to in Germany. Germany is shutting down the Q5 line and converting over to something else. The majority of the world Q5's will be built in Mexico, with very little production in India and China.

One thing to remember in your quest for a SQ5. The current SQ5 is built in Germany using European tried and proven sourced raw parts. The Mexico Q5/SQ5 are going to be made from many new North American sourced parts that don't have an reliability or proven track record. The Mexico plant will use engines and transmissions that come from Europe that is one good thing.

^thanks Bob! Good info.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IRogue
thanks everyone. My dealer told me that the ordering window for an SQ5 will be closing very soon - initially he said that it was closed. apparently there are not many '17 SQ5s on order/in the system - most dealers have what they have in stock and will wait for '18.

I am looking for a heavily optioned prestige. most dealers only have premiums.

I am going to try to get max discount and order a '17 - with no backlog of orders I would think it could get built more quickly than the standard 3 mos....presumably Audi wants to get them done quickly so that the line can be switched over to '18. I am not interested in waiting another 4-6mos for an '18 that the dealer is going to try get MSRP for and then have to deal with teething issues....
Do you know if the ordering window for a Q5 3.0T will also be closing soon. I haven't talked to my local dealer about a custom order; might need to soon if the window is closing.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by auntrout
Do you know if the ordering window for a Q5 3.0T will also be closing soon. I haven't talked to my local dealer about a custom order; might need to soon if the window is closing.
My dealer indicated that the SQ5 window was closing (perhaps in just a few weeks). I did not ask about the Q5 3.0....