Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2009-2012 Q5- RECALL (FUEL SYSTEM ERROR)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009-2012 Q5- RECALL (FUEL SYSTEM ERROR)

Hello all,
So I complained last week in a thread about how I could smell gas in the cabin and very strong around the rear passenger side of the vehicle, right around the fuel tank/pump. I did some research, and apparently this is a very big problem with numerous people in the above years, 09-'12. Finally, last night, I found out there has been a recall for the fuel pump flange. Apparently, the filter housing of the fuel pump may develope fine cracks/fissures resulting in a fuel leak or fuel smell!! At last, an answer to why my vehicle all of a sudden smells like gas!!! The recall number is 20W9, and the NHTSA recall # is 16V-660. They say it will be announced on 11/1/16, how long until I can bring in my Q5 to get this fixed?? I have never dealt with a recall, and am curious how effective they are at getting you in an out, or is it a huge ordeal with alot of paperwork and a head ache?
Old 10-12-2016, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, it was announced a couple of days ago. The hold up is that parts are not available yet to meet the demand. Once parts are available, the repairs can begin. I would document with your dealer that you have an active fuel issue, and to attempt to get it repaired as quickly as possible.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by atc98092
Actually, it was announced a couple of days ago. The hold up is that parts are not available yet to meet the demand. Once parts are available, the repairs can begin. I would document with your dealer that you have an active fuel issue, and to attempt to get it repaired as quickly as possible.
So if I wait until the recall, it most likely will not be fixed until the beginning of December, best case scenario... In your opinion, how much do you think it would cost out of pocket to install this rubber band around the fuel pump flange? It sounds inexpensive, however, you never know with Audi.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have no idea what a fix might cost. I haven't read the recall info too carefully yet. I just bought my Q5, but it has no odor so I wasn't getting too bothered by it. In your case, I would press for some quicker action, due to the obvious fuel odor.

Just because they don't have enough parts to support the recall, doesn't mean they can't come up with the parts for a single repair like yours. But, being new to Audi ownership I don't know how responsive the dealers and/or AudiAmerica might be.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by atc98092
I have no idea what a fix might cost. I haven't read the recall info too carefully yet. I just bought my Q5, but it has no odor so I wasn't getting too bothered by it. In your case, I would press for some quicker action, due to the obvious fuel odor.

Just because they don't have enough parts to support the recall, doesn't mean they can't come up with the parts for a single repair like yours. But, being new to Audi ownership I don't know how responsive the dealers and/or AudiAmerica might be.
I called Audi America, and the guy would not even tell me if my Q5 was in the range of recall. I even gave him the range, I just do not know how to tell if my VIN is included... and he did not give me any type of timeline for the fuel system recall or the takata airbag recall, he kept saying "at this time we do not have any type of timeline". It is kind of disturbing knowing that if I get in a crash with my finance that she or I both could die from shrapnel, or the entire car could blow from an ignition to the fuel leak. I just bought my Q5 too, and I am not impressed. This is a serious safety issue, which means I will have to get it fixed now and seek reimbursement.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by josepeter22
I called Audi America, and the guy would not even tell me if my Q5 was in the range of recall. I even gave him the range, I just do not know how to tell if my VIN is included... and he did not give me any type of timeline for the fuel system recall or the takata airbag recall, he kept saying "at this time we do not have any type of timeline". It is kind of disturbing knowing that if I get in a crash with my finance that she or I both could die from shrapnel, or the entire car could blow from an ignition to the fuel leak. I just bought my Q5 too, and I am not impressed. This is a serious safety issue, which means I will have to get it fixed now and seek reimbursement.
This is just one of the articles about it,

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1106545_audi-recalls-a6-a7-q5-q7-to-fix-fuel-leaks-170000-u-s-owners-affected?fbfanpage
Old 10-13-2016, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

This will play out similar to the Takata air bag recall. The dealer knows nothing until the recall letter goes out. The letter is a recall but the parts are not yet available and wait for another letter telling you the parts are available and bring in your car. Since your car is leaking you should go to the front of the line. If the first recall letter does say you need to wait for the part contact the dealer and if necessary AOA to make that happen.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Crazy twist, Audi America just called me and said they are going to tow it and diagnose it immediately... for free. I guess my messages to Audi are being heard after all! Could not be happier, they are being very nice about it all.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update, it turns out the fuel pump was cracked, causing the gasoline smell from the top housing part. Audi is fixing as we speak free of charge of course. This one worked out in my favor, thanks for the help guys!!
Old 10-14-2016, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Outstanding! Glad they didn't push you off thinking it was the recall problem.

Quick Reply: 2009-2012 Q5- RECALL (FUEL SYSTEM ERROR)