Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2009 Q5 3.2 - HVAC Blower not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Where is the cabin filter located? In the manual they talk about replacing it, but don't have any DIY information. Tks.
Here is all explained

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/20..._cabin/replace
Old 07-07-2014, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JoeBlowAudi
I can't get it to fail tonight.

I pulled the filter it's only slightly dirty. With the filter in or out, I don't notice any difference in airflow at the vents.
If you have VCDS to do a scan and see what the problem
Old 07-08-2014, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dscline
I know it may not be much help, but these are the exact symptoms I had in my A4, and they replaced BOTH tbe motor & motor controller. At least that's what the ticket said.
Thanks. I'm kind of leaning toward just replacing both, as the posts I've seen are pretty evenly split.

Still, that's only $500 vs. the dealer at about $1,100.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by spijun
If you have VCDS to do a scan and see what the problem
Unfortunately, I don't.

I pulled out the glove box yesterday and built a wiring harness that I can place between the controller and the blower motor. Using a multimeter, I should be able to at least tell if the controller is passing the right increasing voltage to the blower motor. If it is, I'm going to assume the controller isn't the problem and only the motor needs to be replaced. If it isn't, I'll probably go ahead and replace both the motor and the controller.

Now I have to wait for the problem to happen again.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Unfortunately, I don't.

I pulled out the glove box yesterday and built a wiring harness that I can place between the controller and the blower motor. Using a multimeter, I should be able to at least tell if the controller is passing the right increasing voltage to the blower motor. If it is, I'm going to assume the controller isn't the problem and only the motor needs to be replaced. If it isn't, I'll probably go ahead and replace both the motor and the controller.

Now I have to wait for the problem to happen again.
To find someone near you with VCDS may also try the regional forum and the VCDS locator
Maybe it's better and easier
Old 07-08-2014, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Using a multimeter, I should be able to at least tell if the controller is passing the right increasing voltage to the blower motor.
Do you know if it's that simple? It could be an ECM motor, or use some type of PWM or SCR type control.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dscline
Do you know if it's that simple? It could be an ECM motor, or use some type of PWM or SCR type control.
I know that when everything is working, I see current coming from the resistor, and with the motor connected, I can watch the amperage increase between the motor and the resistor as the fan speed increases.

If the blower motor ever stops working again, and the resistor is providing current, I feel pretty confident that replacing the motor is the first step.

If the resistor fails to provide current, then it could be the resistor or something further up.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default HELP!!!

I have a 2011 Q5 and my AC has stopped blowing air.
The compressor is kicking in, but I don't have any air blowing out of the vents. I have replaced the Blower, and blower resistor and still no air. I have checked fuses on the driver and passenger side fuse banks and all are good. I need any suggestions that I could try without having to pay mechanic a fortune to do something simple.
Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!!
Old 06-01-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

JoeBlowAudi

"built a wiring harness that I can place between the controller and the blower motor"

If you monitor power and ground and the fault is an open circuit in the motor you"ll see all the expected voltages from the controller but that won't mean a thing.Best bet is get 12v to the blower motor plug and see if it spins.Just be 1000% clear you're on the appropriate terminals otherwise you're going to make a German engineer laugh and pay a German company good money to fix your testing error.

Last edited by MurrayA4; 06-01-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Houston climate is crippling my Q5 and me!

Originally Posted by Treacyy1
I have a 2011 Q5 and my AC has stopped blowing air.
The compressor is kicking in, but I don't have any air blowing out of the vents. I have replaced the Blower, and blower resistor and still no air. I have checked fuses on the driver and passenger side fuse banks and all are good. I need any suggestions that I could try without having to pay mechanic a fortune to do something simple.
Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!!
My Q5 is having same problem. I am in Houston Texas, the worst place to be in mid-August with no AC.
Where is the motor controller located?
I am pretty confident its not the blower motor or resistor. What should I check next??

Quick Reply: 2009 Q5 3.2 - HVAC Blower not working