Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2011 Q5 2.0T mysterious FIRE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrV
Unreal!!! Pictures, yes please! Wonder what Audi's diagnosis will be? - please keep us updated.
I reckon if you asked a dealer they'd say: "it's perfectly normal, nothing to worry about, they all do this"

Sorry to hear man! The problem now is the wait for the replacement.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could it have been an oil leak on the turbo? Have seen a few threads of this happening on some subies too. Either way it sucks but at leeast no one got hurt.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wclepse
Could it have been an oil leak on the turbo? Have seen a few threads of this happening on some subies too. Either way it sucks but at leeast no one got hurt.
no idea, ill have to wait for the investigation. Funny thing i I just recently got it serviced at 5k miles. It could have been the turbo, the fire started in the headlamp area, which also houses the turbo right behind and under it, so it could have happened.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kidd07
no idea, ill have to wait for the investigation. Funny thing i I just recently got it serviced at 5k miles. It could have been the turbo, the fire started in the headlamp area, which also houses the turbo right behind and under it, so it could have happened.
What dealer are you at? When I did my 5k, my idiot dealer left my oil cap off of the engine. It was resting on the a/c coolant lines, no one put it back. Luckily i got it home and i washed it and opened the good and saw it off with some oil splashes nothing too much. However, the following day it was going on at 1k mile trip. With the oil cap off, that could have been a potential disaster!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
What dealer are you at? When I did my 5k, my idiot dealer left my oil cap off of the engine. It was resting on the a/c coolant lines, no one put it back. Luckily i got it home and i washed it and opened the good and saw it off with some oil splashes nothing too much. However, the following day it was going on at 1k mile trip. With the oil cap off, that could have been a potential disaster!

wow. i did my 5k at bell audi over here in edison NJ. luckily you realized before that road trip.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Glad you are ok and thanks for posting. With a high value and no explanation you can be pretty sure Insurance will want to pass the buck back to Audi. I just hope we get to read the final conclusion.
The way the internet works, we will probably have the answer first anyway.

Just curious and not trying to imply anything.
Were you parked with engine at idle or off?
Were any lights on?
Was the ignition on or off?
Was the key in or out of ignition?
Was a turn signal active?
Was a turn signal active when you stopped?
Does an active US turn signal become a parking light just like an EU version once you turn off ignition?

Every time I see this thread I get a mental image of you proudly sitting in your car as passers by make comments like "Smokin" "That car is on fire" "That is one hot car" and you are nodding "thanks" "Yes its an Audi"
thinking I never had a car that got so much attention before.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Glad you are ok and thanks for posting. With a high value and no explanation you can be pretty sure Insurance will want to pass the buck back to Audi. I just hope we get to read the final conclusion.
The way the internet works, we will probably have the answer first anyway.

Just curious and not trying to imply anything.
Were you parked with engine at idle or off?
Were any lights on?
Was the ignition on or off?
Was the key in or out of ignition?
Was a turn signal active?
Was a turn signal active when you stopped?
Does an active US turn signal become a parking light just like an EU version once you turn off ignition?

Every time I see this thread I get a mental image of you proudly sitting in your car as passers by make comments like "Smokin" "That car is on fire" "That is one hot car" and you are nodding "thanks" "Yes its an Audi"
thinking I never had a car that got so much attention before.
Well I was parked, with the engine idling. I really dont rem if the lights was on or not. the key was def in the ignition and the car war running, i didnt bother turning off the car bc i was just pickin someone up, and they were comin down anyways. The turn signal was no on.

But now thinkin back, i rem that there was a warning right before it was in flames it read on the dask, something about Electronic Braking System malfunction. I dont know if that was what sparked the fire.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have no actual knowledge of how this stuff works, but seems to me like it might be a warranty issue rather than an insurance issue if the car spontaneously combusted...?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HOLY SH*T So glad you are ok!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kidd07
wow. i did my 5k at bell audi over here in edison NJ. luckily you realized before that road trip.
LOL, yeah I got mine at Bell Audi as well in Edison. My service guy is Michael Alfano and I always deal with him. Good guy. When I called him up about this he was shocked as well since your SA doesn't do the work himself. He assured me disciplinary action would be taken and that something like that, for it to happen is a very poor oversight.

This was 2 years ago almost and I have a 3.2.

Quick Reply: 2011 Q5 2.0T mysterious FIRE!!!!