Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 Premium Plus Audio Support

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Q5 Premium Plus Audio Support

Looking at purchasing a 2014 Q5 Premium Plus with NO Navigation.

I was informed that it now contains an MMI Radio that supports bluetooth phone and bluetooth audio streaming. Can any 2014 Q5 owner with no navigation confirm this feature please?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2013, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nextbond
Looking at purchasing a 2014 Q5 Premium Plus with NO Navigation.

I was informed that it now contains an MMI Radio that supports bluetooth phone and bluetooth audio streaming. Can any 2014 Q5 owner with no navigation confirm this feature please?

Thanks
I'm considering the same model so I stopped by the dealership today to ask this very question. It is true. No A2DP Bluetooth streaming without MMI.

So my question is...Can A2DP Bluetooth audio streaming be added to a Premium Plus with B&O audio system? Does the B&O system have a secondary audio input of any kind? Perhaps Bluetooth isn't the solution...Perhaps I should be adding an AppleTV in the glove box or something.

Thoughts?

Nathan
Old 09-21-2013, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Search for thread regarding "Tune2Air" product. Plugs into AMI iPod cable and communicates with your smartphone via A2DP Bluetooth. It is sold on Amazon for about $99.

Dennis
Old 09-22-2013, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Search for thread regarding "Tune2Air" product. Plugs into AMI iPod cable and communicates with your smartphone via A2DP Bluetooth. It is sold on Amazon for about $99.

Dennis
Thanks, Dennis. I found that very adapter last night while researching the possibilities. Good option for those without MMI.

I also determined that, for my wife and I, a 160GB iPod Classic stowed permanently in the glove box might be a reasonable solution. I appreciate quality audio and have my entire music collection ripped to Apple's lossless format. Playing that music collection through the B&O system (which I'll add as an option) via Bluetooth wouldn't be so great, anyhow.

What I'd love to know now is: How might I play audio from a connected iPod so that I preserve (as much as possible) the lossless quality of my music collection?

I understand the iPod "harness" that Audi supplies relies on the DAC built into the iPod. I need to find a way to pass higher fidelity analog audio to the Q5's B&O system.

Fun stuff. I enjoy a good challenge!

Nathan
Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanjbrown
What I'd love to know now is: How might I play audio from a connected iPod so that I preserve (as much as possible) the lossless quality of my music collection?

I understand the iPod "harness" that Audi supplies relies on the DAC built into the iPod. I need to find a way to pass higher fidelity analog audio to the Q5's B&O system.

Fun stuff. I enjoy a good challenge!

Nathan
I've puzzled over this too. I'm not overly excited about the compressed sound from an SD card though I do like the convenience. It actually sounds like the playback timing is a little slow, which tends to dull the music.

I don't know much about Bluetooth, but if it could pass lossless (digital) audio to the B&O system... would that not be the best option ? Or does Bluetooth, by its nature, degrade or compress the audio ?

I recall reading somewhere that the B&O system can not use a direct analog input. It has to convert it to digital and then back to analog... which is certainly not ideal.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stash64
I've puzzled over this too. I'm not overly excited about the compressed sound from an SD card though I do like the convenience. It actually sounds like the playback timing is a little slow, which tends to dull the music.

I don't know much about Bluetooth, but if it could pass lossless (digital) audio to the B&O system... would that not be the best option ? Or does Bluetooth, by its nature, degrade or compress the audio ?

I recall reading somewhere that the B&O system can not use a direct analog input. It has to convert it to digital and then back to analog... which is certainly not ideal.
Bluetooth is lossy. It sends a compressed audio stream - roughly 256kbps - from source to stereo.

I wonder if I could get my hands on a service manual for the B&O system. If it indeed lacks an analog input, then I'd be curious to know if it has a digital audio input that could be utilized somehow.

The B&O system is pretty darn good. I'd hate to "feed" it nothing but lossy audio (I just don't use CDs anymore).
Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm considering the same model so I stopped by the dealership today to ask this very question. It is true. No A2DP Bluetooth streaming without MMI.

So my question is...Can A2DP Bluetooth audio streaming be added to a Premium Plus with B&O audio system? Does the B&O system have a secondary audio input of any kind? Perhaps Bluetooth isn't the solution...Perhaps I should be adding an AppleTV in the glove box or something.

Thoughts?

Nathan
All models Q5 have a MMI, but there is with navigation and w/o navigation:

MMI

Reduced, simple, logical: the Multi Media Interface (MMI) elegantly combines the operation of all infotainment components in one display and operating system. By reducing down to the essential controls and implementing a unified logic, it permits fast, user-friendly, intuitive use of a large number of functions and technologies.

The Multi Media Interface (MMI) is the point of control for all infotainment components. For the telephone, mobile phone, radio, navigation or TV – the MMI gives you simple access to these devices and their functions. The user guidance has been kept deliberately simple in view of an ever increasing diversity of functions. The operation is logical and self-explanatory.

The central element of the MMI is a combined rotary control/pushbutton with four control buttons arranged around it. In addition, on both sides of the unit there are a total of eight function buttons that can be used to select the main menus directly.

The main functions of the system – entertainment, communication, information and control of vehicle systems – are accessed using the eight permanently assigned function buttons.

Within the individual menus, the driver activates the required functions by turning/pressing the control button – quite simply an outstanding menu structure with intuitive operating logic.
The new MMI generation

The new generation of the highly acclaimed and successful MMI system impressively demonstrates Audi’s “Vorsprung durch Technik” once again: the MMI has been updated in all areas and now gives the driver intuitive control over an even greater variety of functions.

Key new features at a glance
Even the basic specification MMI radio (only for the Audi A6) includes the offset control panel with the proven intuitive operating logic and a 6.5-inch TFT colour display with a resolution of 400 x 240 pixels. The highlight in the product range for the Audi A5, Audi A6, Audi A8 and Audi Q5 is the optional MMI navigation plus. The integrated hard drive has 10 gigabytes of storage space available for your own audio tracks. The brilliant 3D map view shows not only topographical information but also city models and sights as three-dimensional graphics.

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/too...ilter_i_m.html
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/too...s.browser.html

Last edited by spijun; 09-22-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Spijun,

Maybe you know this, but the base MMI system does not have the Bluetooth Audio stream (A2DP)capability. Yes, people are saying MMI, but the context is the A2DP capability which is not included in base MMI.

Dennis
Old 09-22-2013, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Spijun,

Maybe you know this, but the base MMI system does not have the Bluetooth Audio stream (A2DP)capability. Yes, people are saying MMI, but the context is the A2DP capability which is not included in base MMI.

Dennis
Possibly misguided understood, but....

No A2DP Bluetooth streaming without MMI.
Nathan
I'm not sure whether MY2014 have A2DP Bluetooth streaming, there is an option AMI (Audi music interface) standard on all models Q5

Last edited by spijun; 09-22-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
I'm not sure whether MY2014 have A2DP Bluetooth streaming, there is an option AMI (Audi music interface) standard on all models Q5
I hope someone tells me I am wrong, but I don't think AMI is the solution either. I don't believe MMI will recognize lossless files on an iPod. And I don't think it bypasses the DAC in the iPod. So the B&O system would still have to take analog from the iPod, convert it to digital and back to analog.

Based on the little bit of investigation I have done, it seems CD is the only lossless option in the MMI system. I would hug anyone who could prove otherwise.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 Premium Plus Audio Support