Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 Premium without Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I went thru a somewhat similar situation trying to stream bluetooth music from my iPhone 5 in my '13 TTS which has nav & all the goodies, but for some reason came with a six disc CD changer in the glove compartment rather than an AMI interface. After considerable discussion with guys in the TTS forum, I replaced the CD changer with an OEM Audi iPod Interface unit (much cheaper than retrofitting an actual AMI) which provides a 30 pin connector. I purchased the Tune2Air from Amazon, plugged it into the 30 pin in the Audi interface & it worked perfectly. The only problem is that with the RNS-E head unit in the TTS, you don't get track info displayed like you would with AMI. Since, as I understand it, the Q5 has the AMI interface but without A2DP, so I assume you would get track info on the head unit display. Everyone on the TTS forum as well as my dealer indicated that the Tune2Air was one of the few, if not the only BT adapter that worked reliably in the Audi. There must be something in the version of bluetooth & their software that makes it compatible. Several guys on the TTS form indicated they had tried cheaper units without success.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vilhelm_SQ5
MMI is capable of BT streaming whereas AMI is not (for the 2014 MY anyway). I have the AMI in my '14 SQ5 and use the AMI iPhone 30pin connection with the Tune2Air module to stream music from my iPhone 5S. The Tune2Air works flawlessly with to stream the music and GPS directions through the car stereo. With the iPhone 5S you can connect to the Tune2Air and the car's BT in order to stream music and make BT phone calls (the car switches between the two seamlessly when a call is received or made).
Hey, Vilhelm
i was wondering when you said " the tune2Air works to stream the music and GPS
direction through the car stereo". Does it display in your screen ? Your SQ5 doesn't equipped with Navigation package? i'm kind of curious about GPS from your cellphone to the car stereo, i mean from your cellphone's google maps obviously. Could be possible post a picture to show us the fantasy? i have a friend he wants to purchase a SQ5 as well but he does hesitate the navi-package which is about 2000$ in Canada.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by David&Niki
Hey, Vilhelm
i was wondering when you said " the tune2Air works to stream the music and GPS
direction through the car stereo". Does it display in your screen ? Your SQ5 doesn't equipped with Navigation package? i'm kind of curious about GPS from your cellphone to the car stereo, i mean from your cellphone's google maps obviously. Could be possible post a picture to show us the fantasy? i have a friend he wants to purchase a SQ5 as well but he does hesitate the navi-package which is about 2000$ in Canada.
By "GPS directions" he means the audio cues like "turn left in 500 feet" coming across the Tune2Air audio connection. You won't see the map from your phone show on the MMI screen, but you'll hear the directions announced over the car's speakers instead of the phone's.

You could always put a cell phone mount on the dash so you can glance over to see the map as you drive if just the directions weren't enough.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

David&Niki - idale is correct in that it is still just a fantasy to get the actual map on the MMI screen from your iPhone. Only the audio cues for the GPS directions are transmitted through the MMI. Apparently, Apple is working with Volvo to intregrate your phone and in-car nav, and Audi is working with Google/Android (so I've read anyway in some car mags).
Old 07-17-2014, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vilhelm_SQ5
David&Niki - idale is correct in that it is still just a fantasy to get the actual map on the MMI screen from your iPhone. Only the audio cues for the GPS directions are transmitted through the MMI. Apparently, Apple is working with Volvo to intregrate your phone and in-car nav, and Audi is working with Google/Android (so I've read anyway in some car mags).
thank you Vilhelm. so it's actually like Navigation but voice assistance. i'm sure that will work out as well.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Audi is also now working with apple on this. Next gen MMI will see the benefits
Old 07-29-2014, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm just trying to understand Audi's rationalization of why my VW's can stream audio over the BT connection and so can my wife's POS Rav4 but I can't link my Galaxy S3 to the AMI except via a $30 mini stereo to AMI plug in my MY2014 A5 Q Coupe. (PP w/o Nav).
Just a tool to get you to buy the Nav option and T-Mobile subscription?

Ultra frustrating.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Tune2Air works

I ended up buying Tune2Air :
Robot Check Robot Check

and it works perfectly in my 2014 Audi Q5. Its sad that Audi doesn't provide this basic functionality, but I guess that's probably their way to sell Premium Plus with Navigation and all the stuff you don't need.

One thing I noticed while using Tune2Air was that when using streaming services like Pandora, Spotify etc, the latest song name does come up on display but Next and Previous control do not work. They play the next song in your Song Library instead. Its not a big issue and I guess I can live with it.
Thank you everyone on this thread for helping me out and I hope this would be useful information for someone coming on this forum looking for solution in future.
-Darpan

P.S.: I didn't put an appropriate title on this thread and I guess some moderator can fix that to make this thread easily searchable
Old 08-04-2014, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Tune2Air option

Originally Posted by darpandhamija
I ended up buying Tune2Air : Robot Check

and it works perfectly in my 2014 Audi Q5. Its sad that Audi doesn't provide this basic functionality, but I guess that's probably their way to sell Premium Plus with Navigation and all the stuff you don't need.

One thing I noticed while using Tune2Air was that when using streaming services like Pandora, Spotify etc, the latest song name does come up on display but Next and Previous control do not work. They play the next song in your Song Library instead. Its not a big issue and I guess I can live with it.
Thank you everyone on this thread for helping me out and I hope this would be useful information for someone coming on this forum looking for solution in future.
-Darpan

P.S.: I didn't put an appropriate title on this thread and I guess some moderator can fix that to make this thread easily searchable
Thanks for the input. I will consider the T2A piece.
Right now, I've got a 32G SD Card in the reader that is loaded with so much music that you could listen for weeks and not hear the same song. (Although it just happened on Saturday. I should have bought a lottery ticket.)

Old 08-04-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
If you want to use the AMI cable with the Phone 5 series, just get the Apple Lightning/30 pin adapter. It will work fine with music and MMI control.
I think Audi now has a AMI cable for lightning devices.

Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 Premium without Navigation