Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 TDI First Oil change issues

Old 08-30-2014, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idparts still shows the AM dipstick for our CPNB engine on their website. So I sent them an email to ask if they had personally tested it and were sure it read correctly. Here's their response:

"We have had conflicting reports. Another customer called to tell us that his was too short, not too long. No one has really figured out what is going on yet, unfortunately. Especially confusing since, between the different models, the dipstick tube length also varies.
We're working on sorting this out, but right now I'd recommend holding off on a dipstick purchase."

...so for now, it continues to be calibrate your own or go without...
Old 08-30-2014, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's like I told the OP...You have a dipstick...you know where it should read...just mark it properly and be done with it...jeez.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

fan-
"how was I supposed to be absolutely sure that the computer itself is right"
The dealers actually have a special service tool, a "universal" dipstick that is calibrated in millimeters with an adjustable stop collar, so they tell me. They can use this like a very skinny tape measure to actually measure the height of the oil in the dipstick tube and engine.

I expect that if I'd had a similar problem, my dealer would have told me that the unauthorized dipstick I had gotten from the internet, had broken the engine and was responsible for causing the oil software to malfunction.

German engineers have never followed the "KISS" principle.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's an interesting proposition. "Calibrated universal dipstick", hmmm, I hope someone else confirms it's existence. Next, "some unauthorized....... From the internet", that happen to be VAG Specific and happened to have a VW/Audi OEM part number. I do understand you are trying to be helpful , just didn't get the means of it.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by tdifan
That's an interesting proposition. "Calibrated universal dipstick", hmmm, I hope someone else confirms it's existence. Next, "some unauthorized....... From the internet", that happen to be VAG Specific and happened to have a VW/Audi OEM part number. I do understand you are trying to be helpful , just didn't get the means of it.
Of course everything is possible.
This is dipstick who use the Audi services

Search on net: dipstick T40178 price from 25$...............
http://audiusaparts.com/media/estore...ual_T40178.pdf
Old 09-10-2014, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the obvious solution to the long and short dipstick problem is to goto someone who has the test tool, set it up for the type 1 or 2 engine and place the orange or yellow handled dipstick beside to match the corresponding length. I'd love to buy the test tool myself but $175 is a little steep. Pls keep us informed caus I'd like to get a dip stick for my engine. J
Old 09-10-2014, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by SummiTDI
So the obvious solution to the long and short dipstick problem is to goto someone who has the test tool, set it up for the type 1 or 2 engine and place the orange or yellow handled dipstick beside to match the corresponding length. I'd love to buy the test tool myself but $175 is a little steep. Pls keep us informed caus I'd like to get a dip stick for my engine. J

Search on net: dipstick T40178 price from 25$...............
Old 09-10-2014, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

fan-
spijun describes the exact tool the dealerships are supposed to use. Think of it like a special tape measure, a metal strip with numbers and instead of the "box" at the end, there is a brass screw collar that locks down so you can read exactly how far it has gone into your dipstick tube. Really quite simple and effective.

I did order the dipstick that I have from some strange source on the internet, one of several who claim to be VW or Audi dealers, with the specific Audi part number for this engine. But of course, the neatly dressed smiling man at my local Audi dealer's service desk says that the part does not exist, and that I should not believe stranger son the internet who tell me that it does exist. Fortunately, my car and I share the same delusion that the new dipstick does in fact exist, does in fact work, and will not cause the car to spontaneously explode or fall into a tangle of twisted metal. Although, if the service desk is correct, I can expect this to happen very soon now.(G)

Compare and contrast to a WW2 vintage ****** Jeep, which might had had a hundred moving parts, all of which could be adjusted, removed, and replaced with a screwdriver and pliers. Including a dipstick.

I think Audi hasn't quite gotten over WW2, and hasn't quite adjusted to the US market yet. (sigh)